Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A (proposed) new HOA rule - this can't be legal, right?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A (proposed) new HOA rule - this can't be legal, right?

As I was leaving for work this morning, one of our neighbors started chatting with my mom about our HOA.

As I was getting getting into my car, he said the HOA is thinking about imposing a rule that if you have overnight guests over, you have to notify them (the HOA) first and give them the guests' social security # and date of birth!

I can just imagine what would happen if you tell your guest "I need your SSN and DOB for our HOA."

For a rule this draconian, my best guess is that someone had an overnight guest and the guest ended up robbing another house. So if this is the case the HOA is having a knee-jerk reaction to it (this HOA is a 55+, if it matters).

Huh?

The only rule my apartment complex has is that if you have guests that will be parking in one of your spots (for longer than overnight), we should give them their license # and make/model of car, so that they know not to tow the car.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs10a-SSNFAQ.htm#1

Basically, unless the HOA is required to disclose overnight guests to the IRS, or is subject to a provision of the Patriot Act, the HOA is not required to gather any SSN's.

From what I'm reading, though, this is legal for them to ask, and to refuse to allow people to have overnight guests who refuse to provide such information.

Further commentary by me may eventually be provided over on fratching (or it may not).

Comment

Wow that's strict - the previous HOA tried to get everyone's driver's lic# but no one gave it to them.

I can see them asking for a lisence plate#, make, and model of the car but social security #??
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

And that's one of many reasons I try to avoid HOA...which is funny.. because the neighborhood I live in now has a HOA, but the only thing they do is run the neighborhood pool/Tennis court, and organize the yearly neighbor garage sale, beyond that, you are pretty much on your own. One of the trustees told me that someone called him for a compliant about a garden hose in someone's front yard overnight, and they told them, "there is nothing we can do" and that if it bothered them that much to call the city.
          Just sliding down the razor blade of life.

Comment

i would think because it would require such sensitive info that it could be protested and found illegal but i think needing license plate # dl # and make and model wouldn't be that odd

Comment

I really don't see how they can justify needing someone's social security number (unless they are actually a tenant) ... with all the fears of identity theft these days I sure as hell wouldn't give it out to just anyone.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                with all the fears of identity theft these days I sure as hell wouldn't give it out to just anyone.
                Exactly what I was thinking. All they need after that is "mother's maiden name", and they can steal your identity.
                Sometimes life is altered.
                Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
                Uneasy with confrontation.
                Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

define overnight.
                  at 3am i leave your property for 5 minutes.
                  Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
                  Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

No they can NOT have my guest's social security number, drivers license number or anything other than name and auto license number so it doesn't get towed.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                      define overnight.
                      "present at both 9pm and 7am." Or at whatever time they decide for checking. Sorry, but clever your trick ain't.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

ok then leave the property at 9pm for 5 minutes or show up after.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                          ok then leave the property at 9pm for 5 minutes or show up after.
                          So the rule could easily be "Two patrols will be made at random times between 9pm and 5am. Any unknown vehicle parked outside your home or in your driveway at those two times will be counted as an overnight guest at your home unless you file a complaint in advance of the patrol seeing the car for the second time, in which case it will be towed."

Or, you can stop trying to make up ways to get around the rule, and just call the rule a truly douchey rule. Which it is, and I think the rest of us will agree with you on that.

Comment

I'm actually just trying to point out how dumb the rule is by showing depending on the specifics of the law how easily it would be to get around it. Honestly they are having problems with breakins so they put this rule in place and to actually enforce it they'll need at least 2 patrols a night, why not just get more patrols or put together a neighbourhood watch.

Comment

This really does seem like a dumb law. I'd really like to see how they're going to enforce it, if a guest doesn't own a car. What if the guest walks, or takes the bus? Unless it's a gated community, how are they going to keep a lid on foot traffic? Are they going to start searching buses too?
                              Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                              X