This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choice of Class Dilemma

For my college, I need to have at least 12 credits in a semester to be considered full time. I've done 18 credits instead nearly every semester and as a result, I have 111 credits going into my last semester of college. I added a minor this semester, but that only added three classes, one of which I'm taking right now. I have 11 credits picked out next semester which means I need one more class and I'm not sure what to take. It can be literally anything, except extremely basic chemistry, biology, physics, or math (I've taken upper level courses in them all so I'm not allowed to). I'm not taking another hard science course because I enjoy my sanity. So I leave it up to the members of CS. What class should I take?

P.S. - Badminton isn't an option. It won't fit in my schedule.
    "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

What are some options?

Give us your top 5 or 10 and we will vote on them.

Otherwise, look for something like the philosophy of Star Trek, or maybe a film class where you get to watch movies for school. Or if all else fails, there's always that old standby, Underwater Basketweaving

Comment

I'd vote for some kind of art class, particularly something like pottery if your school offers it, but I'm an artist so I'm biased. The reason I said pottery is because, at the college I went to, a LOT of people took pottery as an elective, not thinking they'd do much in it, and it turned out to be a huge stress relief for them. The pottery lab is open pretty much all the time, even if there's a class going on in there, so if someone was having a bad day or needed a break from cramming, they could go up to the lab, jump on a wheel, and throw something. Even if it turned out completely horrible, it was great stress relief. And most people who took it found they really liked it, a lot more so than they ever thought.

Then again, that school had one of the best art teachers EVER so we may have just been really lucky.

Comment

One warning about film classes: they tend to meet once a week for 3-4 hours at a time. Basically, watch the movie, then discuss. They also tend to be theory-heavy, even at the Intro level.

If you're looking for something 'easy', I'd go more with the bowling, tennis, fly fishing route. Or something crafty, like pottery. Intro classes aren't always super easy; my Intro to Theatre students are always surprised when they realize they have to read books and take blue book exam and actually learn things. *gasp*
        "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
        Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I'm taking Intro to Film right now to cover my Arts credits. We are learning about all the elements of a film (photography, sound, editing, framing, etc.). Each week, we watch a bunch of clips from movies then talk about the scenes we watched and whatever element we are talking about that week. Next Tuesday I have to do my presentation on Sound.
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I loved my film classes. That's why I suggested it. I hope you enjoy yours.

Comment

Have you considered taking a foreign language class? Not that you'll learn a ton in a semester, but you'll at least know a few words.

Check out the gym classes too. My community college had classes like Yoga and Tae Kwon Do. At my school they were only 1 credit, which sounds like it would work well for you.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                Have you considered taking a foreign language class? Not that you'll learn a ton in a semester, but you'll at least know a few words.

Check out the gym classes too. My community college had classes like Yoga and Tae Kwon Do. At my school they were only 1 credit, which sounds like it would work well for you.
                I've been taking Spanish since the 1st grade until my sophomore year of high school. It's the most useful language as far as my area is concerned.

Gym classes are two credits. I was thinking weight lifting maybe or fencing. Self-defense is also a possibility.

Comment

I'll second an art class. One of my easiest ones was history of art. I just made flashcards and could name lots of classical Rennaisance paintings/sculptures. I also took sketching and drawing. I do enjoy pottery, getting my hands dirty.

Do something FUN. Not a heavy duty thinking class. What about Shape Up with Weights.

Cutenoob
                  In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                  She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Working...
                  X