This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My sweet daughter is a bit miffed

I took my daughter to the dentist today to get some cavities filled in, which upset her because she brushes at least twice a day. I told her that I did and do and still got all kinds of cavities.

When the dentist put in the Novocain my poor little girl jumped nearly off her seat even though the dentist did numb it. I was sitting in the room with them, so I saw everything going on.

The dentist started working on one tooth and had to stop because my daughter could still feel it. The dentist put in more Novocain. My daughter could still feel it. The dentist looks over at me. I tell the dentist that I also need a lot more Novocain than most dentist think I do, so she is probably the same way. As a child in the 70s and 80s dentist weren't known for caring about what I felt and never gave me enough Novocain. Yes, I did have a dentist phobia for awhile, why do you ask? Luckily, that has changed now or the dentist and I would discuss the reasons why you don't inflict pain on my child when it can be prevented.

My daughter finally got enough Novocain to keep most of the pain away. The dentist didn't want to give her too much more and have my daughter have heart palpations.

We went to get food on the way home and she was a bit upset by that, because she would have to wait to eat.

I took her shopping and that imporved her mood for the rest of the day.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

I've never recalled having that much Novacaine in my system, even after my root canal at 20. But I do recall that tingly numb feeling from it that lasted about a 1/2 hour to 1 hour after getting out of the dentist. Give your daughter plenty of for me. Dental work sometimes is a bitch, even if it's a simple tooth extraction.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Novocaine is awesome. Works pretty well for me. Could feel a thing when I had both of the wisdom teeth taken out. Trying to eat spaghetti while still numb is hilarious. It just slips right out of your mouth.
      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth Greenday View Post
        Trying to eat spaghetti while still numb is hilarious.
        I was going to suggest something similar, I remember have a hard time with yoghurt once after a visit to the dentist. My dear wife just laughed. Rather cruelly, I recall.
        "What did you have for breakfast this morning? Carnation Instant Bitch?"
        -Eric Foreman That 70's Show

Comment

I'm the same way. Usually takes 4 or 5 shots of Novocaine for me to stop feeling things, and it might last 20 minutes tops. Which at that point I honestly feel sick to my stomach from the Novocaine. So I stayed away from the dentist for years because of that. And to make matters worse I had to have a tooth yanks like 6 years ago and I told the dentist I could feel it. He said oh it's just pressure and right after that broke the tooth. It hurt like all friggin hell.

So no simple stuff I'll deal with the pain. But like a tooth yank I'll get knocked out for.
          "It takes people like you, to make people like me" Another Night In London - Devildriver

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
            My daughter finally got enough Novocain to keep most of the pain away. The dentist didn't want to give her too much more and have my daughter have heart palpations.
            A lot of the anesthetics they use contain epinephrine (adrenaline) to boost the effect/ keep it in a smaller area.

If your dentist can get some without the epinephrine, s/he may be able to give a higher dose safely.

(note: I am not a dentist - this was explained to me by my dentist)

Comment

Quoth Docmayhem View Post
              A lot of the anesthetics they use contain epinephrine (adrenaline) to boost the effect/ keep it in a smaller area.

If your dentist can get some without the epinephrine, s/he may be able to give a higher dose safely.

(note: I am not a dentist - this was explained to me by my dentist)
              I was just going to say that, I always ask for the adrenaline-free anaesthetic. I usually have to go straight to work afterwards and I prefer to be able to speak to my customers without mumbling or drooling .
              The only drawback is that it sometimes stop working before the dentist is finished.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                The dentist started working on one tooth and had to stop because my daughter could still feel it. The dentist put in more Novocain. My daughter could still feel it. The dentist looks over at me. I tell the dentist that I also need a lot more Novocain than most dentist think I do, so she is probably the same way. As a child in the 70s and 80s dentist weren't known for caring about what I felt and never gave me enough Novocain. Yes, I did have a dentist phobia for awhile, why do you ask? Luckily, that has changed now or the dentist and I would discuss the reasons why you don't inflict pain on my child when it can be prevented.

Have him check her (tooth) roots - I have one tooth that Novocaine barely works, if it does at all. The roots to that tooth are at a 90 degree angle (like this: - - - - | - - etc).

But I do agree - they have become a LOT more caring than they did back in the 70s and 80s. Pain management is a lot better, too.
                Quote Dalesys:
                ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Mis is right. Dentists didn't care back then. A dentist pulled a tooth when I was kid. He did not use any novacaine or anything to numb it. Then when I had my wisdom teeth cut out, instead of being put to sleep, I was awake and was only given novacaine. I'll tell you it did nothing and I felt everything. So unfortunately I have an intense distrust of dentists.
                  Take this job and shove it. I ain't workin here no more.

Proud Air Force Mom

Comment

I feel for your daughter, Mis. Im sure shes better by now though. Some people just need lots more drugs than others....you guys wouldnt happen to be redheads would ya?

I have a hell of a toothache right now b/c a filling fell out and i cant get into the dentist for 2 weeks! It hurts to even talk. :/..though my kids are enjoying that for a change. lol

Comment

Quoth RavenStarr View Post
                      Mis is right. Dentists didn't care back then. A dentist pulled a tooth when I was kid. He did not use any novacaine or anything to numb it. Then when I had my wisdom teeth cut out, instead of being put to sleep, I was awake and was only given novacaine. I'll tell you it did nothing and I felt everything. So unfortunately I have an intense distrust of dentists.
                      You would have to strap me to the chair to take out my teeth without knocking me out first. I've had several teeth pulled - 6 baby teeth, all four first premolars (adult), and my wisdom teeth. (I only have 24 teeth cuz my jaw is too small.) I was out cold every time.

I have a filling that needs to be replaced with a crown...I've been putting it off but I'm gonna have to get it done soon.
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

when i was younger, my dentist had to give me laughing gad cuz i'd freak out every time a needle came anywhere near my mouth. lol the only reason i don't have my tongue pierced, too.

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                        I have a hell of a toothache right now b/c a filling fell out and i cant get into the dentist for 2 weeks! It hurts to even talk. :/..though my kids are enjoying that for a change. lol
                        there's something called refilit filling material that you can use to temporarily fix your filling. there's also stuffed called dentek...or maybe try some orajel?
                        If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                        ^_^

Comment

Just cause no one else has brought it up... I started a new system I found about 6 months ago. A hole that had been starting is filled up (Dentist said my teeth looked wonderful. And I have found that any cold sensitivity I once had is completely gone.

Anyone want info?

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post

there's something called refilit filling material that you can use to temporarily fix your filling. there's also stuffed called dentek...or maybe try some orajel?
                            I am 26 years old....but my mommy just bought me a dental repair kit with the clove oil stuff and the stuff to refill temporarily. I love her. lol.

Comment

Heh, my dentist was the opposite when I was younger. He was this sweet little old Chinese guy that was always petrified he was causing people any sort of pain. So he would just farkin' load you up with Novocaine right from the get go. You're be utterly numb for hours, but you never felt a damn thing, I'll give him that.

He could have been soldering in there for all I knew.

Comment

Working...
                              X