Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dipped my toe in the Family Drama pool. *sigh* Long.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dipped my toe in the Family Drama pool. *sigh* Long.

So, having avoided the large majority of my family as much as possible for the past 14 years, I dipped my toe back into the pool.

Long story short, last month I heard a rumor that my uncle had salvaged some of the books, toys, etc. that I thought were lost when the family emptied the contents of my grandmother's house into a dumpster. Including all of my stuff that was stored there. There's some family history/issues involved with why they tossed literally everything into the trash but I'll not get into it.

In an effort to try to recover some things from my childhood/teens, I called my uncle to ask him if the rumor was true. I was looking mostly for books, but I'd be thrilled to get my Transformers and Legos back, too. I had caught him just as he was headed into the shower.

He said, "No sorry, I can't think of one thing of yours that I have."

I said "Alright, well, thanks anyway."

And that was that, or so I thought.

About 10 minutes later, mid-shower for my uncle, his wife, my Aunt J, called me back. (Curse you, Caller ID!)

Aunt J: What were you hoping to get back?

Me: Well, I was mostly looking for books, but I'd take whatever was left. Uncle D said he didn't have anything, but that's okay.

Aunt J: Books? Oh, I know where your all your books went.

Me: Really? (Sweet, I had a ton of good books, a Superman collection from the early 80's on, and maybe some of my old gaming stuff survived)

Aunt J: *triumphantly* Your disgusting perverted books all went into the garbage, where they belonged in the first place!

Me: My 'disgusting' books?

Aunt J: That's right, you had nothing but disgusting books full of sex and naked pictures!

Me: You mean the two dozen or so Playboys? Yeah, and what about all of the kids books, college textbooks, oh and I bet my Superman collection was full of sex and perversion too, right?

Aunt J: You're filthy and disgusting, and you know it! You'll never get any of that horrible stuff back!

Me: Coming from a woman who blatantly committed adultery on numerous occasions that's a pretty hypocritical judgement. Remember all the times that I ran into you in local bars with men who weren't Uncle D? By my standards, adultery ranks way above a few Playboys in the 'disgusting' department. I made the mistake of calling in the first place. Rest assured, I won't call again. And you do the same. *click*

Half an hour later, she called back again, but I was out getting dinner. My g/f answered instead and got to hear all about my 'filthy' books and that I didn't have anything else in the house and blah blah blah...

Anyway, g/f said she treated it like a call from an angry customer and just heard her out. She also said the story changed a few times to paint Aunt J in a better light with each revision. Oh, and Aunt J wants me to return all the Matchbox cars that she gave me when I was 8. The collection of Matchbox cars that was stored with the kids books at my grandmother's house. Self pwnination is funny to watch, isn't it?

However, I've seen this happen to some of the others in the family, notably my father, where you set off one nutjob and they all start calling, stalking, and pig piling you - preferably in public - for no other reason than that they get off on being 'holier than thou.' The crazy self righteousness runs strong in my family, and even the ones that married into it, like Aunt J.

A couple months ago, my Aunt E flew from Texas to Massachusetts, then carpooled with mom up to Canada, so they could ambush my Dad to yell at him and tell him how worthless he is. Just so you have a good picture of the kind of psycho crazies I'm dealing with.

Unfortunately for them, they have a nasty habit of hiding all the dirty family secrets and presenting a united 'We're a good shining example of a loving family of noble upstanding citizens' front to the public. Some of us have been publicly excluded from that group on a number of occasions. I assure you, my Dad and I will never get over the shame of being excluded. Really.

I aired my personal skeletons a long time ago. I have no secrets and the dirt they have on me is that in my late teens and early 20s I owned a couple dozen Playboys. <cue crickets as the audience fails to be shocked and dismayed.>

What I do have, however, is a massive stockpile of family secrets running from adultery (as noted above) to money laundering and pedophilia. I've told my g/f that if they all start trying to call me out like they've done to others that I might simply threaten detonate that bomb of deep dark family secrets as publicly as possible. Web page, maybe? Oh, and it'll help that I do have a binder of pictures, documents, and other evidence to back up my claims. Not just hearsay.

I guess I'm just venting and wondering - is it worth starting a full scale family war if they start calling to harass me? I walked away from them a long time ago because of this kind of crap. And I'm at the point where I simply refuse to put up with it, the way my Dad and the other semi-sane family members have.

That's a REALLY sticky one.

Clearly, these family members are in deep denial and ready to point the finger at anyone they can, in order to feel better about their own less-than-sterling behavior. So much so, that they'll harass others by telephone and in person.

Yes, you can try blackmail, but I recommend documenting (and, if legal, taping) each and every harassing phone call you get, as well as saving and printing any emails, keeping snail-mail, etc. Then go to the police with all the evidence, describe the situation, and let them handle it. They won't want to stop, and maybe it won't stop them, but if they don't back off, you can get them arrested. And how would they be able to explain it to everyone? I don't think they can. And you've taken the moral high road.

Comment

No offense Eireann, but it sounds like this is across country borders (carpooled up to Canada?) so that option is probably nearly worthless. It'd have to be a lot more than just phone calls to yell. There's probably need to be recordings of threats of material harm (physical or otherwise).

Personally, I'd go for the MAD approach. Mutually assured destruction. Web page, make it up, and hold it in reserve. If they hassle you, give them the link and say it's a private page for now, but if they keep harassing you, your finger might slip and email it to everyone you can.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Ick, Gerrinson. At least you've put my family drama into perspective...sheesh.

I'd go with the moral high ground myself, with the backup of broomjockey's suggestion. Mostly because if you go with the latter, you're probably going to be getting a lot of unexpected backlash anyway.

But, mostly, I think ignoring your family again would be your best bet. Just keep tabs on how much they call you, if they do. And don't let them in your house/apartment if they show up.
        My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Quoth Kheldarson View Post
          But, mostly, I think ignoring your family again would be your best bet. Just keep tabs on how much they call you, if they do. And don't let them in your house/apartment if they show up.
          Sound advice, thanks.

Actually, after reading it over, I think you're right. It seems writing it down has helped me get some perspective on it. They've been quiet all of yesterday and today. I'm hoping it stays that way, but from past experience I know nothing is likely to blow over that easy.

Still, there's some part of me that would like to see the fallout from the MAD (thanks, Broomjockey!) approach. But that's probably just the evil side...

ETA - I'm still in the US, so this is all in the same country, for me. It's only to go after my Dad & stepmom that they have to cross the border into Canada.

I tried adding family phone numbers into my phone and assigning a 'Silent' ring tone, but my cordless doesn't have a 'Silent' option. :sad:
          Last edited by Gerrinson; 10-19-2009, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
            ETA - I'm still in the US, so this is all in the same country, for me.
            Ah, well then, the legal approach wouldn't suck. If it does flare back up, documenting wouldn't be a bad idea anyways.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Two words: call blocking. If it's not a feature on your actual phone, then call your phone company and see if they can block the numbers for you. Failing that, let them know you're getting harassing calls and they can change your number. A bit of a hassle, yes, but saves a lot of wear and tear on your emotional state.

And a few more just for good measure. Ignore them as thoroughly as you can. If you happen to see them in public, snub them. Act as if they literally do not exist in your world. If they try to get in your face and harass you, pull out your cell phone and call the police (look up and store in your phone the non-emergency number), right then and there, and report them for harassment and/or assault as the situation warrants. If they show up at your home, do NOT open the door to them. Simply call the police and report them as trespassers.

And I like Eireann's suggestion about letting the police know in advance about the situation, so that if you SHOULD need to call them for whatever reason they might just take you a bit more seriously about responding quickly.

Of course, there IS something to be said for Broomjockey's idea....
              You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Working...
              X