This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Just another day in my life..." or "I hate weather. Period."

You know, I used to love rainy days…really, I did!

Until this morning…

I get up at 5 am, my shift at work starts at 8. It takes a little over an hour by bus to get to the store, but knowing the weather and how it effects bus travel, I plan ahead like a responsible young adult, and leave the house earlier than usual. I get to the first transit center, a park and ride area. Now, normally, I’d continue on the same bus the entire way, but one particular chunk of the route is so inundated with construction and everyone and their pet monkey getting on the bus and crowding it for dear life, it actually takes even longer to get where you’re going. I plan for this, too. I get off the bus at the park and ride, planning to catch another, more direct route to the second transit center, where I can hop the first bus line (but usually an earlier route time, go figure), and continue on to work.

Generally, it takes 15-20 minutes to get to the park and ride stop. Time it took this morning because of hellacious rains and roads flooding? 40 minutes. Looks like the plan to leave early was a good one. Time I arrive at the park and ride: 6:55 a.m.

I wait at the park and ride, irritated because despite having an umbrella, I STILL got soaked to the skin from the waist down. Anyone who knows me knows two of my pet peeves are wet denim and squishy socks. I had both. Add that to the brisk wind, causing me to shiver in the 73 degree weather, and well, I am not a happy llama.

Now, the connecting bus I need to catch generally shows up around 7-ish, give or take 10 minutes. Plenty of time, right? Riiiiight…

7:20 rolls around, I’m watching the rain start falling horizontally in sheets, and the roads continue to flood. I’m getting a little anxious because if the roads get really bad, METRO will stop service, and I really really don’t want to be stranded anywhere, most especially at work, all the way across town from where I live. I call my store, since we open at 7:30, and no one answers.

Great!

I keep this up at 2 minute intervals until 7:30, at which point I call my textbook manager’s cell phone. I don’t like that I have to call him that early and spend the first 30 seconds apologizing profusely. I explain the situation and that I’m stranded at the transit center, with the bus being about 20 minutes late and counting. He asks me if I’m going to attempt to go in, or if I’m going to just try and get back home. I explain that, given the weather conditions, I have a very real fear that I may not be able to get home if I do somehow manage to make it to work. Yes, it sucks relying on public transpo, but what can I do when I’m too poor to afford to buy and maintain a car? (and fuck it all, I am NOT going to ride my bike in this shit!)

He tells me he understands, and my safety comes first. I tell him I’d been trying to call the store, and he says the opening manager is caught in traffic, so she’s running late, but he’ll tell her for me. I thank him, but note that I’m still going to keep trying to get a hold of her so she can hear it directly from me. (I don’t say this part out loud, but this particular manager tends to get pissy when she hears things secondhand, and will no doubt write me up for not showing up/not finding someone to cover my shift. I want to have clear records of my informing BOTH managers of inclement conditions, so if I do get written up, I can note down dates and times of calls, and what was said in each conversation.) We hang up, and now I start scouring bus schedules to see how I can get back home.

Success! There is a bus that will drop me off across the street from my apartment complex and it’s scheduled to hit the center at 7:45. Completely doable as it’s 7:40 by now, and I’m figuring it won’t show up until 8.

I was right. It showed up at 8:02. I JUST got home, when again, it usually takes 15-20 minutes to get from this center to my apartment complex. The entire time I kept trying to call the store, so I could explain to the other manager my predicament, and still no answer, repeatedly. My last call was about 30 seconds ago, and I finally got through. Success!! I explain and she’s surprisingly sympathetic. But then, it took her 3 hours to drive to work in this mess, so yeah. I arrange to work longer on Saturday for homecoming, and she’s appeased. I hope.

So, in summation...it took me over 2 hours, 2 FUCKING HOURS, to make a 40 minute round trip, I got soaked to the skin, lost hours, (which hurts even more because I had to call in sick last week when I was running an inexplicable fever for some reason…), and had to slog through the river my apartment complex sidewalks have turned into, not to mention getting further soaked when assholes in cars continually played Splash the Pedestrian. I get inside and squish my way to the bathroom to find a towel to dry off. I'm achy, and cold and wet and tired.

Fuck it all. I’m going back to bed.

Awwww. *hugs Lupo* Have a nice hot cup of tea, too.

That sounds like what Kentucky got hit with back in August. The storm wasn't bad until I got almost to work and it would be faster and easier to just go on in rather than try to turn around and go home. A couple exits before the one I needed, I hit the worst of the storm at its peak. Traffic had slowed to a crawl (snails were probably beating us to work) and visability was pretty much nonexistent due to the rain. I called and let them know I was coming, but I'd probably be a few minutes late with the rain and traffic. Even with slow traffic, I usually get into work about 30 minutes before opening. I walked in 10 minutes after. The drive from where I hit the storm to where I park normally takes 5-10 minutes depending on traffic. During the rain, it took me 40. The place I usually park was already flooding, so I parked on the other side of the lot where the ground was higher and prayed my car would be okay. The lot is a few blocks from the library and has a raised curb along the sidewalk, so I was able to avoid most of the flood water by walking on the curb. It didn't help because the first intersection I had to cross was knee-deep already and there was no way around it. Luckily, they sent us all home shortly after opening because the basement flooded and took out the electrical systems. And we still have no furnace, but that's a rant for another time. Woo!
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I hope you had a hot shower, dried off well, and had something warm to drink before you went back to bed! Wouldn't want to get sick all over again.

Comment

Oh, yes, I made a pot of tea, too!

My stepdad was apparently watching the weather channel this morning, because not 20 minutes after posting and going to turn water on to boil my mom calls me. apparently there was a segment on what the rain was doing to the roads here, and in one of those karmically sucktastic moments, it showed a 3 car wreck, complete with a truck getting turned completely over, and sitting in water that was over the roads and flooding past the curb. The extra kicker? It was the street I live on.

I got to spend some time assuring my mom I'm home, I'm safe, and I'm not planning on going out until this storm blows through. I managed to get her off the phone by telling her I couldn't get warm, at which point I was ordered to take a hot shower, and get back into bed. Which I did, showered while tea brewed, then snuggled down with fresh tea and comfy blankets. I'm supposed to call her later, let her know what the conditions are like over here.

I love my mom, but she has GOT to stop watching the weather channel...I keep telling her, I live near the gulf, shit's gonna happen, but I'm in a neighborhood that, while the sidewalks and streets get flooded a bit, I"m not really in any danger of more than a few inches of water on my sidewalks. You should've heard the commotion kicked up when she found out I was in Ike's path...that was fun...

Comment

Yeah the rain was fun. So glad I slept through it!

The street are always flooding in Houston. Any marjor t-storm can cause problems. They always have, that's why I live so far out now. No flooding problems out here. Unless I go to I45, but I didn't need to go anywhere today.

Sorry your day sucked so much. It could have been worse. One time it took me 2 HOURS to drive home. And that's because the drive home can flood easily. That was fun...

ETA
          It's normally a 15 minute drive.

Comment

My husband and I were in Houston a few weeks ago when it started POURING out of nowhere. Well, we knew it was probably going to rain, the clouds were pretty dark and the weather had said to expect rain. But just as we were getting into the city, WHOOSH. We could barely see for a few minutes.

We live in San Antonio, and we did get some very nice and much-needed showers throughout the day yesterday and last night, but nothing near flooding. And it's been mostly clear today. Glad you made it home safe and got nice and warm, Lupo!

Comment

I can sympathize. It's been cold and drizzly here in Omaha for the whole *bleep*ing day! I kid you not, rain from at least 5 AM to 10 PM, except for VERY short breaks.

PTL this isn't the day I have to walk a mile to and from the stupid bus stop!

Comment

I see only happy ending Lupo. You didn't have to work the whole day in wet pants. This is win.
                I live in Utah, here, it is perfectly acceptable to drive/go out in horrible snow storms. During even the nastiest snow storms, everyone on the freeway still goes 65mph. Whiteout blizzard and you want Mexican take out from that place across town? Sure! No problem, let me just slip on my flip flops and coat and head on out. Also, anyone who doesn't keep a scarf, wool hat, gloves, ice scraper and sunblock in their car is an idiot. I don't think we use umbrellas here though. It seems everyone is just waterproof. Plenty of people walk out in the rain with no umbrella but are relatively dry when they get inside.
                We residents of Utah firmly believe the rest of the country who is halted by weather are all a bunch of pansies.
                "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Quoth NightWatch View Post
                  We residents of Utah firmly believe the rest of the country who is halted by weather are all a bunch of pansies.
                  Well, in Kentucky's defense (*snerk*), I live in an area that occasionally sees significant amounts of rain, snow, and tornadoes, but no capacity to deal with any of the above. That and the residents forget how to drive at the first sign of anything other than a sunny day.
                  I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                  X