This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great puppy war (sad / longish)

Earlier one of my wife's acquaintances had a litter of German shepherd puppies. This person firmly believes in a 100% raw diet but doesn't feed them bones because they can get hurt (rightfully so).

Now, by the time they're on the 100% raw food they're off the mother's milk and she does not give any supplements.

Major problem here - their diet is severely lacking in many things they need to grow, especially calcium (and I'm sure we all know what calcium is responsible for).

Fast forward to a few months ago the puppies (about 5-6 months old) are at schutzhund training doing their routine "puppy" training - chasing bite rags, tugging, chasing the rags, bonding with the handlers and helpers and so on.

One of the puppies decided to give a good jump for one of the toys - nothing big, a foot or two in the air (nothing a puppy of that age shouldn't be able to handle) but when he landed gave out the loudest, most painful, and hair curling yelps you've ever heard. If you had recorded this Hollywood would have paid big bucks for it to use in a horror movie.

Sadly, the puppy had completely broken not one, but BOTH front legs. They rushed the puppy to a local vet and thankfully he is healing nicely but will not be able to walk normally ever again nor will he be able to do schutzhund (well, he might be able to do tracking but that's it). His schutzhund career ended with one seemingly innocent jump.

This started a war in the club. The breeder still claims that the diet the puppies are on was not responsible (they're not a vet, a vet tech, or overly educated with canine health). They still stand behind that the puppies do not need any extra supplements since they're on the 100% raw diet.

My wife used to be good friends with the breeder but since she said that she didn't fully agree with the breeder's dietary habits with the puppies, the breeder stopped speaking to my wife completely. (My wife does agree that a raw diet can be good but you need to supplement them to fill in the deficiencies).

The breeder has lightened up a bit but sadly I don't think their friendship will be the same again.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Aww, poor puppy

Sounds like this person needs to consult a vet on this raw diet thing...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
      Aww, poor puppy

Sounds like this person needs to consult a vet on this raw diet thing...
      That's the thing - some vets also swear by it like it is a religion and I'm sure if done right it can be very healthy BUT you need to watch what they take in and make sure they get what they need.

When we start our puppies on "solid" food (usually mush) we mix it with Ensure (well, a generic brand) or maybe even a milk-supplement / dried milk.

We do give our dogs raw food but maybe once a week (to help keep their teeth clean - we give them chicken backs and necks).
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

does raw food = only meat?
        To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
        my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Quoth joe hx View Post
          does raw food = only meat?
          Depends - to us, no. We give them the whole back and neck. To some people = yes. I know bones have a lot of calcium in them but it is normally not enough to help a growing puppy.

There is also raw food you can buy (like BARF) that is a mix but ground up.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I...but-....GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
            I had a full rant going, but on reflection, I probably say things that make me sound like an idiot. So I'll say that you're wife may be better off.
            I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Earlier one of my wife's acquaintances had a litter of German shepherd puppies
              Apologies, but I read that literally on the first pass and had to back up
              Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                Apologies, but I read that literally on the first pass and had to back up
                'k, I giggled.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

A proper raw diet INCLUDES the bones. If they're worried about the bones hurting the pups just grind the bones up...chicken bones are soft enough to be fairly easily ground. Even WITH the bones included a growing large breed pup would still need extra calcium supplements and probably glucosimine so that its joints and bones grow strong and proper.
                  My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Quoth LewisLegion View Post
                    A proper raw diet INCLUDES the bones. If they're worried about the bones hurting the pups just grind the bones up...chicken bones are soft enough to be fairly easily ground. Even WITH the bones included a growing large breed pup would still need extra calcium supplements and probably glucosimine so that its joints and bones grow strong and proper.
                    Someone educated with the true raw diets - I'm impressed!!

You're the first person I've seen post something like that - most say that you should cook the chicken first which is FAR worse (splintering etc..).
                    Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Thanks. I've had dogs on the raw diet before and I absolutely love it. It literally cleared up my older dog's arthritis and she went from limping around and stiff/in pain at age 7 to now leaping into the air and acting like a puppy at age 13.
                      My dollhouse blog.

Blog about life

Comment

Working...
                      X