This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Life Needs A Fratching Board >_>

Okay, honestly... I am so sick of these people. In my case their pet cause atheism, but it could just as easily be anything else.

I went to my friend's Halloween party, and we watched Sean of the Dead. DAMN good movie. We're mostly making comments during it, because what's the point of watching movies with twenty people there if you can't talk? At one of the parts, a bullet bounces off something and hits a zombie in the head, prompting one of my friends to say "Thank you Jesus!"

At which point my friend pauses the movie, and she, her boyfriend, and another party goer spent the next fifteen-twenty minutes going off about how Jesus is bullshit and all religion is evil, and anyone who's not an atheist is just a blind idiot. Which really upset me, since I'm a religious person.

If you want to talk about religion and why you don't follow it, fine. Or why you do follow it, that's fine too. But pausing a movie that a bunch of people are watching so you can talk about this after someone who agrees with you made a goddamn JOKE.

I stayed out of the discussion, because I don't want to get into an argument like that. Last time I did, I ended up depressed for several weeks.

So, this is why I'm saying real life needs a Fratching board.

Now, I want to be absolutely clear.

I'm not complaining about people being atheists. This thread is supposed to be about interrupting an otherwise pleasant situation for complaining about your pet cause. I'm not trying to talk about my beliefs, I just really needed to vent about this happening in the middle of one of my favorite movies.
    Childrenofthenight.Thecomicseries.com/comics/latest

Check out my comic. I write, my friend Red draws. Comments welcome. Leave them on their, or on my profile here.

I have to tell you not all atheists are like that. I'm an atheist, and I totally support the fact that other people have beliefs that dont match mine. I dont push my beliefs or lack thereof on other people. It annoys the hell out of me when other atheists want everyone to be like them. Makes me and the other nice atheists look bad.

Those people were asshats...and blind idiots.

Comment

This almost reads like a joke thread, since it's usually the other way around.

Now who stops a movie--during one of the BEST SCENES, I might add-- for anything short of fire, flood, or some other natural disaster that might harm the DVD?
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

BAH! There is a time and a place for arguments like that. That, that was not the time! Why are people so petty about some things?
        I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Most of you who are on fratching also know my views on religion and why.

That said, I can't stand pushy people from either side... hell, I've seen the whole gauntlet from an Atheist getting upset that I said "bless you" after he sneezed and how I shouldn't be wasting my breath on useless prayers to Christians going off on extended diatrabs about how as a filthy homosexual and rejector of christ I deserve eternal damnation.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Hyena Dandy View Post
            Okay, honestly... I am so sick of these people. In my case their pet cause atheism, but it could just as easily be anything else.

I went to my friend's Halloween party, and we watched Sean of the Dead. DAMN good movie. We're mostly making comments during it, because what's the point of watching movies with twenty people there if you can't talk? At one of the parts, a bullet bounces off something and hits a zombie in the head, prompting one of my friends to say "Thank you Jesus!"

At which point my friend pauses the movie, and she, her boyfriend, and another party goer spent the next fifteen-twenty minutes going off about how Jesus is bullshit and all religion is evil, and anyone who's not an atheist is just a blind idiot. Which really upset me, since I'm a religious person.

If you want to talk about religion and why you don't follow it, fine. Or why you do follow it, that's fine too. But pausing a movie that a bunch of people are watching so you can talk about this after someone who agrees with you made a goddamn JOKE.

I stayed out of the discussion, because I don't want to get into an argument like that. Last time I did, I ended up depressed for several weeks.

So, this is why I'm saying real life needs a Fratching board.

Now, I want to be absolutely clear.

I'm not complaining about people being atheists. This thread is supposed to be about interrupting an otherwise pleasant situation for complaining about your pet cause. I'm not trying to talk about my beliefs, I just really needed to vent about this happening in the middle of one of my favorite movies.

Not to mention there are certain phrases that people will use even if they are not religious ... I will use Thank You Jesus, or jesus joseph and mary, or anything that may be commonly used in movies or fiction
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Real life does have a fratching board. It's called politics and it isn't quite as civil.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I would have left that party.

Not because of the opinions expressed on either side of the argument, but because the incredibly shitty hosts. That had to be beyond awkward.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                  This almost reads like a joke thread, since it's usually the other way around.

Now who stops a movie--during one of the BEST SCENES, I might add-- for anything short of fire, flood, or some other natural disaster that might harm the DVD?
                  Yeah, 99% of the time, when someone pushes a view, it's to support their religion.

Wow, what rude hosts. That would probably be the last time I watch a movie with them.

Comment

I know i am probably going someplace warm for suggesting this but, you should invite them over for a movie night.

Passion of the Christ.

Just a thought.

I'm tolerant of everyone and everything except for assholes. - Mongo Skruddgemire

Comment

I went to my friend's Halloween party, and we watched Sean of the Dead.
                      Took me a minute, but I assume you mean "Shaun of the Dead"? I know Sean is an alternate spelling of Shaun, but it's the name of a movie, and my area of expertise, so on you.

Quoth rageaholic View Post
                      Yeah, 99% of the time, when someone pushes a view, it's to support their religion.
                      Sorry folks, this is a Fratching view, and if anyone wants to talk about who pushes their views most, then Fratching is where it should go. This includes comments "slyly" (trust me, we're not stupid, we can tell what you mean) alluding to this being a "role reversal" or anything like that, too. HD was kind enough to ask people to keep it out of Fratching territory, please oblige.
                      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I think I'm with RK in leaving the party after that. Then again I suppose it depends on how well you know those people and how long you've been friends with them.

I have a fairly diverse group of friends who regularly hang out. There are two self professed atheists, a guy who was raised and is devoutly catholic, myself who was raised Lutheran, and my best friend who is a practicing Wiccan. This group has been very close knit for a very long time and we have had some very interesting religious discussions. Anyhow, to get to my point, if that had happened at our Halloween party I guarantee someone would have told them to shut the heck up and restart the movie.

Comment

At which point my friend pauses the movie, and she, her boyfriend, and another party goer spent the next fifteen-twenty minutes going off about how Jesus is bullshit and all religion is evil, and anyone who's not an atheist is just a blind idiot.
                          As someone with increasingly atheist leanings, I'd have to say these two were way out of line. This sort of thing is fairly common in new converts to any belief system, though. Most quickly learn that this doesn't give them carte blanche to be assholes and tends to irk even people who share their views.

You should lay this all out on the table for them and ask them which they value more, their ideology or their friendships.
                          "Sigh, I'm going to Hell.....but I'm going with a smile on my face." -- Gravekeeper

Comment

I love the Italian film "Demons". If people held that against me I'd say they're ignorant fools.

Comment

so i wonder... when they're having sex and one screams out "oh god oh god" do they stop and get in an argument?
                              To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
                              my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Working...
                              X