This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious about Islam

I’ve been trying to figure out how to ask this without offending anyone or starting a fratching thread….Please do not use this thread that way.

One of the things I love about this board is that we have people from all over the world with different religions and belief systems. I’ve been curious about the Islamic religion, especially since here in the US, most of what we see on the news are the extremists. Especially after something like Ft. Hood.

So, what I’m wondering is can someone who follows Islam give an overview of their belief system? I’ve done some reading online, but I’m really curious about how your religion effects your day to day life.

Again, I’m not trying to offend anyone. I am just looking for a more realistic understanding of the Islamic religion.
    TANSTAAFL

An excellent perusal.... I can't help with it... But I would be very interested to hear a little more about it as well. It's always a good idea to learn about other religious beliefs than what you have grown up with.
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Comment

I heard an author interview the other day. The book is called "The Muslim Next Door," I think. She talks about her everyday life and some misconceptions about Islam. Her name is Sumbul Ali-Karambali. Published by White Cloud press.
      Last edited by Food Lady; 11-11-2009, 07:37 PM.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

You could just find a random muslim - the women are normally easy to spot if they're wearing burkas or such.

As long as you don't try to convert them or insult their religion, they'll be happy to talk about their religion. That's how I got my copy of the koran - I was asking a muslim customer at <old pizza place> and I asked her what a good translation of the koran I might look at. She came back an hour or so later and gave me her personal copy.
        To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
        my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Just think of this:

The Qur'an (the Musllim bible), the Torah (Jewish bible) and the Old Testament (the firs thalf of the Christian bible) are all extremely similar books.

From what I've seen the three religions are very similar to each other, just suttle differences and interperations.

The issue would be finding an unbiased opinion of the religion - IMO that would be dificult. Obviously most followers would look positively and I'm sure you'll find as many people who think negatively about it (but that will be true with any religion).

Pick up a Qur'an and start reading - that will probabaly be your best way to learn about it (and I'm sure there are many version of it - like the other bibles).

The most important part would be to keep an open mind and make judgements yourself based on what you've learned - try not to let other's experiences and education sway you.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth joe hx View Post
            You could just find a random muslim - the women are normally easy to spot if they're wearing burkas or such.

As long as you don't try to convert them or insult their religion, they'll be happy to talk about their religion.
            You won't see many Muslim women in a burqa in North America. Thats the full on head to toe covering and considering the reasons for it they may be uncomfortable talking to a random stranger. You're much more likely to see women with a hijab, the head scarf that covers the hair. Those are actually kind of nifty.

Comment

My experience with Muslims.
              My former boss was a Muslim... he was a jackass.
              My former coworker shuttle driver was also a Muslim, he is one of the most polite and nice people you will meet.
              So basically they are no different than the rest of us, they come in all shapes, sizes, and types.
              Beyond that, I think the advice of getting your hands on a Koran is good, and finding a friend who is Muslim to talk to may be even better. I might also add it wouldn't hurt to see if you can find an online message board or group for Muslims and see if they are willing to let you talk to them.
              If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Thanks for the ideas guys.
                TANSTAAFL

Comment

Working...
                X