This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raaaaaain!

so...my little town has been hit by a nor'eastern. there's mass flooding, torrential rains, 60 mph wind gusts, power outages, and so far...three deaths. one of the fishing piers is totaled. the parking lot at my apartment complex is flooded. so far, about a foot of water. i had to move my car to a part of the complex that has slightly higher ground. i drive a hyundai accent. i don't know if my car will flood out. i don't know if i'll be able to get to work tomorrow. i don't even know if we'll be open.
    honestly...i'm scared.
    i'm new to the area and i've never seen this much rain. hell, i moved here from a desert. i live on the second floor so i know my home won't get flooded, but i'm worried about my car, my work.
    my friends...one of my friend's yards has been rudely impaled by a 4 inch branch. it's sticking straight up out of the ground. if the weather wasn't so crappy, it'd be hilarious.
    basically, i needed to get this off my chest. my boyfriend's not home to tell me that everything's going to be okay and i guess i need to hear it from someone...
    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
    ^_^

OH dear! That's a hell of a lot of rain!

Try not to panic that much. Is your car covered by insurance? IF you're unlucky and something DOES happen you'll be able to get something for the damage and might be able to get another car to replace it so you can get to work. Some insurance companies will even lend you a car while you wait for it all to go through so you won't be without in the mean time.

Doesn't take away the suckiness of it but yeah.

Maybe call work and talk to someone about what's happening. They might have something in place for natural disasters. :S one would hope.

Till then sit back and enjoy the wild show. If you're not at risk of your apartment flooding then no need to panic. Regardless of what happens you've done all you can do. If your car gets flooded deal with it when/IF it happens.
    I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

My mother thinks that the only decent sunrises/sets she saw in Virginia were after hurricanes... Once seven differently moving cloud layers.

Mom's a Utah girl - Callao & Cottonwood. We lived in Hampton / Newport News '52 through '60. I remember that the north side of your leg is the one with moss...
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Well, that explains why our Williamsburg plant was off the grid for so long tonight. I knew it was a power outage, but didn't know why.

Funny thing is, Weather.com only showed light showers.

Eric the Grey
        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Aren't you being hit by what's left of Ida?

She was a bit of an annoying storm, though thankfully weakened as she came on shore. I nearly stalled my car out though, driving home in it because the roads had started to flood. It wasn't fun driving over the bridges, either, in thirty to forty MPH winds.

Stay safe and don't drive through water because you never know how deep it really is.

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
            so...my little town has been hit by a nor'eastern. there's mass flooding, torrential rains, 60 mph wind gusts, power outages, and so far...three deaths. one of the fishing piers is totaled. the parking lot at my apartment complex is flooded. so far, about a foot of water. i had to move my car to a part of the complex that has slightly higher ground. i drive a hyundai accent. i don't know if my car will flood out. i don't know if i'll be able to get to work tomorrow. i don't even know if we'll be open.
            NOOOOOOO...... Lynnhaven or Sandbridge pier? .... I spent many happy hours fishing lynnhaven back in the day

Although i did go through a couple of hurricanes when I lived there ... I had to basically tell my bosses to sod off when they wouldn't let me close down the office so I could go back to my hellhole on 13th Bay because we were being evacuated...I needed to get my cat, guns and basic clothes and camping gear so I could bug out to a farm owned by the mother of my boyfriend in Dillwyn.

Can you call your bosses and ask if they are going to be open? and you might want to figure out someone you know a bit further away from the coastal area and spend a day or so there...
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Oh yes, the torrential rains from Ida . . .

It started down here in NC Tuesday and it's been one soggy, chilly, windy week. We've had high winds, power outages scattered about, trees uprooted and crashing down on vehicles and across roads.

One woman died in Rockingham County (just north of Guilford County, where I'm at) when a tree uprooted and hit her car as she was driving. Luckily her 2 year old son was not hurt.

Tuesday night we had a power surge in my neighborhood and part of our streetlights went out. The streetlight at the corner of my house, right in front of Mama Maple tree and one we had installed on the side of the house where the wheelchair ramp is decided to go out for a few minutes. Looked rather strange to see the traffic lights still on, but all the streetlights on the road and one of our lights (we have 3 installed - other two are in the backyard and far side of the front yard) go out. Luckily they all came back on a few minutes later. . .

Wednesday was cold, windy as crap and wet. We had winds so high, you couldn't take an umbrella out - it'd only blow inside out and fly away . . . by Thursday we had streams and rivers cresting above flood levels and running over.

One neighborhood in Greensboro in particular, known as Latham Park, always floods whenever we have heavy rains (it was originally a lake and was drained many years ago and homes built there IIRC) and water was overflowing toward Wendover Avenue.

And also by Cone Mills White Oak Plant (last one this textile company has left in the US IIRC) had water overflowing from the stream behind it coming up to the walls of the building and flooded part of Sixteenth Street. Mom was heading home from taking me to work and that's the route she usually takes. When she crossed it, she said it was just into the curb, but I heard later during the day that the waters overflowed and completely covered the road. So when Mom went past was not long before the road was overtaken . . .

We've had flood warnings since Tuesday night that expired at 9 p.m. last night here, but in other nearby counties are still in effect through late today.

All I know is that I'm glad the water has went back a bit in my yard . . . by Wednesday we had water standing and completely covering our walkway and was rising up to the top of the bottom step on the front.

So far it's looking like the sky is trying to clear up and the last of the clouds are moving out . . . so later this afternoon I'll probably take the broom outside and try to sweep the zillion leaves that got blown up onto the front porch and steps. I might need to use the blower for the walkway . . . it's missing and I might need a search warrant to find it again.

I'm just glad it over with . . . but the bright side is where before we were short about 3 inches of water for the year, we're now plus an inch or so as we got around 4.5 inches of rain here.

Maybe those morons who are hollering about a drought (when there isn't one this year) will finally shut up or go jump in the lake for a swim.
              Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                NOOOOOOO...... Lynnhaven or Sandbridge pier? .... I spent many happy hours fishing lynnhaven back in the day
                sadly, it was lynnhaven. it's not completely washed out, but there is a pretty big hole in it.

as for work, when i woke up and it wasn't too windy and the rain wasn't too horrible, i figured the store would open. and luckly the parking lot had drained. looks like someone cleared the leaves out of the drain. but i was working drive thru today...so my arms got pretty wet. lol we need a better awning

^_^

Comment

People still wanted to go to get take away in a weather like that!!!!!

WTF people! Stay home! Get your shit organised in case it gets worse! Let the poor people at the store go home and get THEIR shit organised!

I hate people!

p.s. excuse any spelling, woke up early (in my terms) and am a TAD hungover and worse for wear! LOL
                  I am evil, I should change my middle name legally TO evil, I'm proud of my evilness! Makes life fun! bwhaha

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                    sadly, it was lynnhaven. it's not completely washed out, but there is a pretty big hole in it.

as for work, when i woke up and it wasn't too windy and the rain wasn't too horrible, i figured the store would open. and luckly the parking lot had drained. looks like someone cleared the leaves out of the drain. but i was working drive thru today...so my arms got pretty wet. lol we need a better awning
                    /me has a moment of silence

I used to go and sleep and crab/fish when I worked overnight as a security guard at the bank op center on Robin Hood Rd ... I would set a kitchen timer and snooze, then haul up the crab net and empty it into a cooler, and fish for a bit, then nap again ... I would keep however many blue and crab I wanted, and swap the rest at a local fish market for different ocean products. Fishing fee and a couple of dollars for chicken backs and I had enough fish stew to go for the week =)
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

O_O
                      ...that sounds delicious. why "used to"?

^_^

Comment

Working...
                      X