This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English as a second language

I need some help! I'm taking a TESOL/ESL class and one component of our final project is to interview a person who is/has learned English as a second language in the United States.

I can't find anyone in the local schools. Right now I'm barred from one school system because my security badge hasn't arrived yet.

It'll be about ten questions...I'll ask about what country you were born in, how difficult it was to learn English, your thoughts about it, how long you were in the US, etc. If you are interested, could you let me know and I'll PM you with questions.

Please help! Thank you and mods, I hope this was okay. I just need some help with a school project.

Feel free to just discuss English as a second language or any second languages here in this thread. I don't mind.

I have been raised on English, but you could always try hitting up a fast food place. There is going to be at least one person there who's ESL. You just said person, so I'm assuming it doesn't have to be a student.

Or hell, ask the janitorial staff at a school you do have access to. Sorry to play on stereotypes, but those are the easiest places to find people who are recent immigrants/citizens.

I think the adult workers would have more interesting ESL stories too, because students have the advantage of being in school and learning it there. Most adults who come to this country and don't know English have to get creative about learning it.
    "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I could put you in touch with my brother in law, if you want. He's Finnish.

Comment

Of all the times NOT to be in NJ. I know oodles of people who came from foreign countries.
        Unseen but seeing
        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
        3rd shift needs love, too
        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Nightwatch--thank you for all the great suggestions. Thank you everyone for your help.

I have found one person that I'm going to interview. I was freaking out so much about this and then I remembered I work with three Germans at work.

Comment

Ha! you're silly.
            "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

Working...
            X