This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPod Touch or Nano?

I want a new iPod...I have a 4 gig Nano, and it doesn't hold all my music. It also has a habit of freezing on me.

I'm debating if I want to get a Touch, or a 16 gig Nano.

I was playing with my mom's friend's Touch last week, and it's cool, but I don't know...do I need to have the internet with me everywhere I go? Plus the internet only works if I'm in range of a wifi network...

So...I dunno...help?
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

The iPod Touch is basically the iPhone without the phone features.

My wife just got her mother to get her one as an early Christmas/birthday present and she loves it. It's pretty much a portable computer. With a file separate converter program you can even watch movies on it in really sharp picture quality (the video file has to be in mpeg-4 format). The apps are awesome. With wi-fi you can even stream radio stations online.

Comment

If you need an mp3 player PLUS the crazy near-infinite expandability that apps allow, go with a Touch. It's amazing how addicted people become to them so quickly. Beware - after you get one, you will NEED IT FOREVER. But apps can cost money and take up space, so if you go with a Touch, I definitely recommend the 32 gig. 8 gigs just wouldn't cut the mustard. But the Nano is fantastic, super portable (without the HUGE LCD screen to scratch, like the Touch), and a 16 gig is a pretty reasonable price. They also come in lots of super cute colours!

Comment

I have both the Touch and the Nano.....I use the Nano for music and the Touch for interwebz, apps, podcasts,and movies (and just some music)

If you think you'd like the app and movies (you can watch movies on the Nano....if just so tiny, heehee) go you the Touch. If you just want music....go for the Nano
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Everybody seems to love the touch, but it does have its downsides. For example, I use my iPod (whatever the first one to show video; white, 30GB, three or four years old now) in the car a lot. I like the click wheel because I can adjust the volume, skip or restart the current song, etc without looking at it. Or I'll put it in my shirt pocket and work the controls through the fabric. I believe that on a Touch you pretty much have to be able to see what you're doing. And, if I read rightly, the screen is glass instead of plastic and will break if it's dropped. Yes, I know you're not supposed to drop them anyway, but it happens and a non-touch iPod will usually survive so long as you don't do it often.
          Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I love my touch. I've dropped it a dozen times and yes I find you have to look at it to move songs on or some other stuff but I can adjust the volume without looking and it's second nature to pull it out of my pocket and skip a song forward now.

The apps are great, I have a couple of games and some serious ones too. I have a 8gig but I'd recommend a 32gig. Mine is nearly full but that is more to do with have 5 very large audiobooks on it (think 24 hour length ones) then having loads of apps.
            As soon as I start thinking
            That I'm sensible and sane
            The Random Hedgehog comes along
            And fiddles with my Brain
            (from card I got)

Comment

I'm hooked on the apps....I may need help, haha. SO many free ones
              "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
              "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                Everybody seems to love the touch, but it does have its downsides. For example, I use my iPod (whatever the first one to show video; white, 30GB, three or four years old now) in the car a lot. I like the click wheel because I can adjust the volume, skip or restart the current song, etc without looking at it. Or I'll put it in my shirt pocket and work the controls through the fabric. I believe that on a Touch you pretty much have to be able to see what you're doing. And, if I read rightly, the screen is glass instead of plastic and will break if it's dropped. Yes, I know you're not supposed to drop them anyway, but it happens and a non-touch iPod will usually survive so long as you don't do it often.
                That's something I didn't think about. I mostly use my iPod in the car, at work and at the gym. I listen in the car because most of the radio stations suck, and at work because my neighbors don't ever shut up and if I didn't have something to drown them out I'd snap and wrap their phone cords around their necks. So I can't always be looking at it.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I would just go with the Zune... It's compatible with more files and mine has never failed me. Every Ipod I ever had would crash or freeze daily. Also, The Zune makes a good backup weapon if you huck it at someone's head. It has the square pad on the front so you can change songs without looking. Plus it's cheaper then the Ipod, usually by around $100.

My 80gb was about $200 when I bought it a couple of years ago. That was when the 80gb was THE mp3 player to have.
                  "I'm working for popcorn - what I get paid doesn't rise to the level of peanuts." -Courtesy of Darkwish

...Beware the voice without a face...

Comment

I second the Zune. I love it. My husband stopped using his ipod and has taken over my zune its aggravating. (Here's hoping he goes ahead and buys me one for yule)

I love the fact that I got more musical options on the zune store, (i.e. I've found bands/records and even Latin American/Japanese artists that I have not found on itunes.) and when I get tired of my own collection (again, hubby has taken over my zune so he has most of his j-rock/pop/ska and his collection is bigger than mine) I can listen to the radio.

And with a few other guys at work who have the zune too, we swap songs with the wireless feature to 'test drive' the songs and see if we want to buy them or not. These 'swap' songs can only be played up to three times and then if you want it, you can go buy it at the store. If you don't want this 'invasion', you can disable the feature.
                    "The problem isn't usually that there are stupid people in the world as much as it is that the stupid people like to call or come in and point out how stupid they are to the working public" -Justa

Comment

I love love love my Sanza Fuze. That is all.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Creative Zen-the 30 gig has an external battery-meaning if it dies you can buy a new one or swap out charged for uncharged-and they all have expandable memory via SD cards and built-in external speakers/microphones-also you are not limited to any specific "store" like itunes or zune store-most of my music is from amazon digital downloads-which I also download tv shows and movies.
                        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                        X