This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need LARGE airtight containers

I need a container to hold roughly 200 pounds of chicken food (I normally buy 4-50 pound bags (leyena (sp?), scratch, cracked corn, and starter) and mix them up for the chicken food.

I use a (very well cleaned out) 40 pound cat litter container to store what I use day to day but I need someplace to store the rest of it. I estimate I'll need something close to 35-40 gallons but it has to be airtight - I don't want any bugs getting into it.

The largest I can find now is about 10-12 gallons (most of the "large" ones are in the 30-35 qt range) which would mean I'd have to buy 3-4 of these containers (I'd rather just have one). Yes, I know what I mean is the size of a small garbage can (the ones you keep outside).

Suggestions?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Small garbage can and duct tape?
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Maybe I should have added something I can easily open and close?
      Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Do you need to move it a lot? The barn I worked for used green wheeled trashcans for horse feed, and later we had a thingy (I love my technical terms ) built to keep the rats out. (wood frame with chicken wire under plywood)

Comment

I won't need to move it often but my worry isn't rats - it will either be indoors or in our storage shed (no mice in there). My worry is an insect infectation.
          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

ah.

Portable bug zapper?

Comment

I'd have to recommend you punt on this one. Large, airtight, food grade containers are not cheap. Instead, use a large trash can to mix the stuff, then offload it in bucket-sized quantities into kitchen-sized trash bags. Seal them with duct tape, then pack them back into the trash can. You can then remove one bag at a time whenever your bucket runs out.

Comment

Working...
              X