Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone else noticed the quality of food going down?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone else noticed the quality of food going down?

I've noticed this over the past few years - the quality of some food items have gone downhill.

I'll give two examples that seem to be the "worst cases":

First - Kraft's shells and 3-cheese (macaroni and cheese). Before I would just see a few broken shells but now it seems that I have more broken shells than on-broken shells, even several fork-fulls nothing but shell shards.

I understand boxes can get shaken around and there is to be expected some breakage but IMO for this much they would need to use it as a maraca for the week before and after Cinco De Mayo.

I don't notice anything wrong with the cheese (heh, it's a powder so if it broke would I really know?).

Second - what we use to feed our chickens.
    9 Lives shredded turkey in gravy (usually the 4-packs). Before it would be full of "meat" and some gravy in it (and the gravy would be thick).

Now, there isn't much meat in there and it is fulled with water - even to the point I need to strain it (with the lid) unless I have it on some leftover rice. The amount of meat has significantly gone down, too.

I'm not sure what's up with it - it could be cost cutting or even the economy but I've noticed in the past when things like this come around to "save money", when times are good they do not go back to the way they were.

Please note: This is not a one-time / knee jerk reaction. I've noticed this going on (and getting worse) over the past few years. I normally buy these items at Publix (grocery store) but as a test I bought them at Target and PetSmart a few times this year with the same results so I do not think it is a supplier problem.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Quoth draggar View Post
    I've noticed this over the past few years - the quality of some food items have gone downhill.

I'll give two examples that seem to be the "worst cases":

First - Kraft's shells and 3-cheese (macaroni and cheese). Before I would just see a few broken shells but now it seems that I have more broken shells than on-broken shells, even several fork-fulls nothing but shell shards.

I understand boxes can get shaken around and there is to be expected some breakage but IMO for this much they would need to use it as a maraca for the week before and after Cinco De Mayo.

I don't notice anything wrong with the cheese (heh, it's a powder so if it broke would I really know?).
    Well normally when I buy Kraft I get plain old Mac & Cheese. And when I get Shells and cheese I get Velveeta. Now I buy and eat these VERY often and I haven't noticed that much breakage, ever. Maybe it's just the way the distributor in your area handles them? Maybe the store?

Still I wouldn't be surprised if certain companies have been trying to cut back costs recently and certain items have lost some quality.

Comment

I remember when I was younger the cinnamon graham crackers had a TON of cinnamon on them.

I noticed recently that there's barely any cinnamon on the crackers at all. Makes me sad

Comment

We don't buy much packaged food, so I can't say I've noticed those changes. I shop at Publix, too. Have you mentioned the problem w/ the shells and cheese to the grocery manager? If it is a problem w/ the way the boxes are being handled, he can do something about it. Not sure what to do about the cat food (I didn't know chickens could eat cat food!) though.
        Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I have found that food doesn't taste nearly as good as it did when I was a teenager, but I had put that down to my taste buds changing. Now I know it could be that companies are just getting cheap.
          Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Overall, I have NOT noticed the quality of food going down. Quite the opposite, as I have aged, food seems to be getting better. I believe there are several factors here: my palate is improving; my palate is changing with age; I am able to afford to eat things I could not afford to eat in the past; I am becoming more of a foodie, and appreciating food more.

Now, in your case, it could be that the companies in question are cutting back. After all, you only mentioned two items. It is also possible for those that notice a change in taste (rather than breakage or quality control) that your palate is also changing, as virtually all of our palates change with age.

Also, there are many things that may impair your ability to taste things or to distinguish taste. Smoking and age are two of them. I am sure there are many more.

Random tangent: Newest food I have tried that I love: lobster ravioli. Newest beer that I have tried that I love: Left Hand Milk Stout. Yumminess in a glass!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

o_O Isn't 9-lives a brand of cat food?
              Military Spouse Support.
              http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
              Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Yes, Plaid, it is cat food. And they are feeding it to their chickens.

No, I don't get it either. But then, I have never had chickens. (Though you have to wonder if chickens eating turkey isn't kind of weird, almost cannibalistic....and I didn't know chickens ate meat.)

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                  Yes, Plaid, it is cat food. And they are feeding it to their chickens.

No, I don't get it either. But then, I have never had chickens. (Though you have to wonder if chickens eating turkey isn't kind of weird, almost cannibalistic....and I didn't know chickens ate meat.)
                  Oh der! I completly overread the part of it being chicken feed. I just read leftover rice and assumed it was a quick meal next day.

Then again, chickens eating turkey... that be like us eating monkey.

then again that does happen so......
                  Military Spouse Support.
                  http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
                  Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    and I didn't know chickens ate meat.)
                    Worms, insects...

Rapscallion

Comment

Chilled monkey brains?

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                        Chilled monkey brains?
                        You grab the forks, I'll get the wine.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Make sure it's good wine or I'm not sharing the Chilled Monkey brains with you.

Comment

Don't forget the fava beans. And that wine better be a chianti.
                            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
                              Make sure it's good wine or I'm not sharing the Chilled Monkey brains with you.
                              To quote Evel Knievel...."Do you know who the hell I am?"

Like *I* would bring a bad wine.

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                              Don't forget the fava beans. And that wine better be a chianti.
                              No. And no. We are not, after all, eating the monkey's LIVER.

As both a fan and someone who has dressed up as Dr. Lecter the last three Halloweens running (quite convincingly, I should add), I feel I must point out the flaw in your demands.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X