This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our farm has grown.

Our chicken hutch is getting too small for our chicks since we got a mixed breed (banty / regular chicken) that was dropped off at our vet's so we've been shopping for a new hutch (plus the old one is getting old).

We've been shopping around and we've liked this 2-story "condo" unit but I have an issue - we need to separate them because one of the older ones eats the eggs and the mixed picks on the two older ones.

Simple solution was to just get a small hutch for half the price of the big one and keep the older ones in the old hutch and put the two younger ones (including the mixed) in the new one.

My wife didn't like that idea too much because it would mean separating them (chickens are social). But - we found a compromise.

For the same price as the one we had we can get a 6 feet long hutch with two doors on the top and a separator. We can put the younger ones on one side and the older ones on the other side. Problem solved! I just needed to get a roof for them since it was a mesh top (which we got).

Now - we have this older hutch that we won't be using. Hmm, what to do with it? At the supply store they had quails - $6 each. Yep, we got 4 females. So now we have 4 chickens, 4 quails, 4 cats, and soon to have 4 dogs (Gallon is going to the breeder's sister in NY).

I'll need to be careful with the quails - they can be "flighty" and "pop" out of your hands but hopefully they'll get used to me feeding them every day.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

If you guys were near me I'd buy eggs from you. I hate the idea of battery eggs, and I can tell you care about your animals.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
    X