This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Soup is a lie....

So I made refrigerator soup about 2 days ago. It was wonderful.

Yesterday I had a nice bowl of it for lunch... and thought "hmm... this tastes a bit funny." But I thought it was the broccoli, since I don't usually use it in soup it is a new taste for me.

....I was wrong. When I opened the container in the fridge this morning.... it was bubbly.... all over just little bubbles... and the STENCH.

And now I realize why I have been feeling sick all day. I have never had a soup go bad that quickly... I mean I boxed it up and stuck it in the fridge almost immediately... *sniffle* It was yummy too.

I am not happy about this.
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post

And now I realize why I have been feeling sick all day. I have never had a soup go bad that quickly... I mean I boxed it up and stuck it in the fridge almost immediately... *sniffle* It was yummy too.

I am not happy about this.
    That could have been the problem if you put it into the fridge while it was still hot. Usually i wait for things to cool down considerably before i put them away.

i think the rapid temp change cause some sort of reaction.

I hope you feel better, food poisioning sucks.
    "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

my aunt who's a chef or whatever told me once that if you box something up while it's still hot and stick it in the fridge, it actually promotes bacterial growth. moral of the story? always let stuff cool....
      If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
      ^_^

Comment

GAH! Sorry it happened. Hope you feel better soon!
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth CaptainJaneway View Post

i think the rapid temp change cause some sort of reaction.

I hope you feel better, food poisioning sucks.
          actually, rapid temp change is exactly what you want. the longer food sits in the danger zone (between 41 and 140 degrees f), the greater your chance for pathological bacteria to grow to dangerous levels. ideally, food should cool to below 70 degrees within 2 hours, and to below 40 within 4 hours after that.

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
          my aunt who's a chef or whatever told me once that if you box something up while it's still hot and stick it in the fridge, it actually promotes bacterial growth. moral of the story? always let stuff cool....
          if you put a top on it, that hinders cooling and leads to the food being in the temperature danger zone longer. if you're chilling food, it should be uncovered until it's reached a safe temperature (below 41 degrees). chilling it in the freezer helps cool it faster than in the refrigerator. just keep an eye out to keep it from freezing.
          Last edited by tacohuman; 12-17-2009, 02:43 AM. Reason: added multiquote
          My Space

Comment

Putting it in a shallow container will cool it down quick. Put this in ice water if your in a hurry. Also if you put hot things in the refer, you raise the temp in there and risk spoilage of thing like meat or milk.
            "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

And check your refrigerator's temperature, the absolute maximum you want it to be is at 36 degrees. 34 is better.

Comment

Sorry to hear you're not feeling good. I think I had a touch of food poisoning on Monday. I woke up around midnight Sunday night/Monday morning and had kind of a yucky cotton-ball taste in my mouth so I got up and had some water and a piece of bread. Of course it was dark in the kitchen so I didn't really see it. Found out the next day that the loaf was moldy. Not like covered in mold, but there were spots all over the loaf. And I felt HORRIBLE all day Monday, I was nauseous and my stomach was killing me.

So yeah, no fun! Sorry to hear your soup went bad so fast...that is kinda weird, I've never had anything go bad in just a couple of days.

Comment

Quoth tacohuman View Post
                  actually, rapid temp change is exactly what you want. the longer food sits in the danger zone (between 41 and 140 degrees f), the greater your chance for pathological bacteria to grow to dangerous levels. ideally, food should cool to below 70 degrees within 2 hours, and to below 40 within 4 hours after that.
                  Except if you place it in the fridge while it's still hot, you raise the temperature of the fridge well in to that danger zone, and risk ALL your food, not just what's being cooled.
                  Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                    ...I actually did let it cool down. Cause I didn't want to melt my Tupperware. I boxed it up after we ate dinner. My mom said "Maybe you let it sit too long" but I didn't let it sit out and get like STONE cold.
                    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                    -Red

Comment

Working...
                    X