This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
    How the hell can they call it abandoned when it's in your own garage?
    They were trying to get me busted on a technicality. It's actually on the borough's books (but rarely enforced) that you're not supposed to have any dead cars around.
    Since it was occasionally on the driveway, I could have been busted for that. However, most of the other neighbors knew about it, and didn't care. It wouldn't surprise me if the reason for that law...was the burnt-out Buick sitting behind one of my neighbor's houses. That heap was on his property for *years!*

I did say depending upon the car. On my antique cars I wouldn't hesitate to replace a head gasket but on my Escape I wouldn't attempt it.
    I hear ya on that one, Tanasi. Wasn't trying to bust balls. But, when one of my newer cars has problems, it goes to the garage. I simply don't have the tools to work on it. But, the MG is another story--no computers to worry about! Everything can be done with simple hand tools. I'm still "feeling my way in" gradually
    Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth protege View Post
      They were trying to get me busted on a technicality. It's actually on the borough's books (but rarely enforced) that you're not supposed to have any dead cars around.
      See, I don't get those kinds of laws. If you own the property, who the hell is the city to say you can't store a dead car (especially if you are working on it as a hobby) on your own property. And if it's in a garage, they certainly can't say it's an eyesore...no one can see it.

My apartment lease has something about not working on cars in the lots, or not leaving dead cars, but then this isn't our private property. There are garages available, and there is at least one guy who keeps an old car in his that he is clearly working on, because I've seen him in front of his garage doing just that when the weather is nice. But when he's not working on it, it gets put back in the garage and bothers no one. There is another garage that has a car parked in front of it that I have never seen anyone working on, and never seen any evidence that it has ever been moved, or is even driveable. But it's not in an area where people actually park (that row of garages is not really close to any of the apartment buildings, so I guess it's not in anyone's way).
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Bright_Star, some things vary with the city. My experience (thanks to the ex) in a small town outside Philadelphia was to be charged not only the fine, but the tow cost and some other related costs. At the time I was out of the area, couldn't get to it to recover it, and had no choice but to let it be towed. Charges came to over $1200 altogether. Whether pushing it a few feet from time to time would keep you in the clear, I don't know for sure, but I doubt it. Police departments are generally hard-line about abandoned property if it's been reported to them.

If you haven't already, talk to the folks who issued the letter and explain your situation. The only information they may have is that it's not been moved in a long time, meeting one of the definitions of abandoned property. (Though being parked long-term because it's inoperable, whether on the street or on your property, is another definition.) I'd not like to see you simply give it up without talking to them.

If you don't want to keep the car, call a salvage yard to come pick it up. In my area (Central PA), yards will pick up scrap without charge because they can resell it. If you go that route, make sure the police department knows when the salvage folk are coming to pick it up - hopefully they'll wait for it if it's a few days later and not send their tow company out for those few days.

If you want to fix it, the suggestion to contact a vo-tech school is a great one.

Comment

See, I don't get those kinds of laws. If you own the property, who the hell is the city to say you can't store a dead car (especially if you are working on it as a hobby) on your own property. And if it's in a garage, they certainly can't say it's an eyesore...no one can see it.
          The feeling is, that one dead car, will attract another...and eventually all sorts of junk. Drive around any declining steel town here, and many vacant lots are filled with all sorts of crap. Garbage, old appliances, etc...all of which attract all sorts of critters. Not the sort of thing anyone wants to live next to. But these fools, were simply trying to push me around. They like to use the borough regulations (plus the police) to harass people.

Lately though, they leave me alone. Probably...because I got in the guy's face after he'd threatened me. As I was firing up the Tercel one cold morning, he came over and bitched about how the "blue exhaust cloud" was "killing his plants" and that he was going to call the cops on me. The in me told him to go ahead...but if he did, I'd then press charges for harassment as well as trespassing.
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

We have similar laws around here inside the city. I know of several guys that have started their own personal junk yards. They had/have intentions of fixing/restoring the car/truck but never seem to get around to it. I watched a 69 or 70 Cuda rot down to nearly nothing because the owner wouldn't finish the job and wouldn't sell it.
            Here all cars that are outside within site of the road or neighbors property must be registered, insured, have a running and working engine and transmission, inflated and road worthy wheels and tires. If the cars/trucks do not meet this then they are subject to impoundment, fines and sale. This can also be avoided by keeping non-complient cars in a building or behind a fence that obsecures the site. The city usually doesn't enforce this ordinance unless made to by citizens or the ex-mayor and his cronies are buying up local parcels of land. County codes enforcement won't do anything if they can't get someone to come to the door.
            Bow down before me for I am ROOT

Preserving precious bodily fluids sine 1952

Comment

There's a way around everything.

The guy who lives next door to my parents has no less than 15 cars. I kid you not. All of them at least 20 or more years old, only a couple of them that actually run.

We always wondered why his entire yard and driveway was full of cars (I'd say about half of what he has), and then we found out that our city only allows so many cars per property....and that he actually stashes the rest of his cars elsewhere.

Don't ask, I have no idea why anything works that way and I don't know why he has so many junk cars....but it sure is ugly and white trash looking. I would back up my parents and all of their neighbors if they complained....it looks just trashy and stupid to have just the 7 or 8 cars that he does have at that house taking up the entire yard and driveway.
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

I know that in my area (California), if a car is parked in one place for 72 hours, it can be reported as abandoned, and if it is not moved within a day of being cited, it can be towed. But if you move it, even if it's only a few feet, then the timer starts over. (I believe they chalk the tires when they cite it; I know that parking control does that when there's a time limit on parking) Check your local ordinances to know what the regulations are regarding non-functional vehicles and long-term parking.

Quoth protege View Post
                It's actually on the borough's books (but rarely enforced) that you're not supposed to have any dead cars around.
                Most of the time, it's all about property values. Non-functioning cars are eyesores and will affect values, and that makes the people who own the property unhappy, and they're the ones that talk to the city council.

Of course, if it's not visible from outside, and it's not any sort of fire or health hazard, then it's none of their *#@* business.

^-.-^
                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Quoth Andara Bledin View Post
                  I know that in my area (California), if a car is parked in one place for 72 hours, it can be reported as abandoned,
                  Even if it's on your own property? There are times when I don't move my car for several days (when I was on vacation over the summer, I was going off of meds and didn't drive anywhere for nearly a week).

My college town did the tire-chalking thing for cars that were parked on the street around the dorms (72 hour time limit), but the street wasn't college property. If you weren't going to be using your car much, there was a parking lot at the other end of campus (and it's a small campus; you can walk from one end to the other at a reasonable pace in ten minutes). Of course, if you were taking up a good spot for a long time right in front of your dorm, you'd probably get shit from your dormmates who had cars and actually were using them. I didn't have a car, anyway, so it really didn't affect me.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                  X