This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I do NOT like mice!

Okay, I have another weird phobia for you guys. I can not stand to have a mouse around me. It's a thing carried over from childhood and a traumatic event surrounding a mouse and how it died.

So, a couple of weeks ago, my sweet husband, not knowing I had such a phobia (it never came up) told me that he saw a mouse in the living room. I freak and call maintenance. They came out and put a poison out that the mice are suppose to eat and go outside to die. I didn't want traps, because of the phobia.

Okay, a week later, my big guy tells me he saw one in the kitchen. GRRR! We buy the same poison and put it out

A few days ago, my husband jumps up from his desk and I ask him what is going on and he saw a mouse walking by him. THE HELL!?! The poison has all been eaten, but seems to not be working.

Yesterday, I saw the mouse go running behind the book case. I call maintenance again, because now I'm pissed. They were suppose to come out today and set traps, but never showed up and all I got was excuses about why they didn't, so I should expect them tomorrow. They better show up!

We have never in the five years previous of living in this same house have ever had a mouse and now it seems they party down in my home!

I just hope the traps aren't the snap kind that break their neck or if it is that I don't hear it or see it afterwards.

Also, my DH thinks it's funny that I would take on men twice my size in a fight and/or take on a spirit, but I can't handle mice or bugs. My daughter thought it was funny too. They are both brats!
    Last edited by Misanthropical; 12-17-2009, 06:57 AM.
    Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

I can't stand feral mice, I had 3 of them living in my old house and were constantly putting baits out, a few times they would work but more would make they're way into the house. I have a kitty now, she chases everything, a mouse would have no chance

On the other hand though i do like domesticated mice and rats, I used to have a pet rat named jack, he was huge and sweet and would spend his day sitting on my shoulder playing with my hair and grooming it (as well as himself, it was amazing how much he liked to keep clean).

So yeah feral mice and rats are blech, domesticated ones are cute.
    I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

I like mice- I think they're cute. Even the ones that come in from outside.

I hate killing them- I get sad every time I hear a trap snap.
      But, it has to be done. I use the snap traps because it seems like the quickest, kindest death of the options available. I hate the thought of any animal dying the slow painful death that poison brings.

Quoth Misanthropical View Post
      THE HELL!?! The poison has all been eaten, but seems to not be working.
      It may have worked on the one(s) that ate it. I know you don't like mice and don't want to hear this but...

If you see one mouse then you should assume there's a whole lot more where that one came from. And, it's cold- the time of the year where the field mice start coming inside looking for warmth and food.

Have you looked into those sonic devices you plug into your outlets that are supposed to drive them off?

Perhaps someone here has tried them?
      "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
      HellGate: London

Comment

I hate rodents but I can't stand looking at them caught in either the glue and/or old fashioned traps. One job I worked for had a rodent problem and the exterminator was only able to use the triangle traps (sans glue) and while I'm at my desk (thankfully this was on the opposite side) I hear this piteously loud squeal that one of rats was caught. My (now former) boss R confirmed it was caught and man did he have that little glimmer in his eyes when he saw that thing caught in the trap. He let me go home early so he could call the exterminator and get rid of that rodent.
        I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
        Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
        Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

there are some new traps that are designed for one use that are a snap trap that closes so you dont see the critter,here
          This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
          my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

It's not such a weird phobia. And though I do like mice, they are pests.

The student we've got helping at the office is afraid of fish. She had a chance to go scuba diving and wouldn't go in the water because of the fish. *nodnod*
            "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I'm not particularly fond of feral mice... or mice in general... but I can stand them being in a cage looking cute.... its scurrying across my living room unannounced that bugs me. Also as a pet owner I worry about disease hat mice can carry.

There are some traps like others have said, that are designed so that you don't have to see the mouse after it has been killed. My father (an animal lover) would set human traps for the mice, take them 30 miles up the road to some forest land, and set them free there.
              "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
              -Red

Comment

I'm with you, Mis. We've had a bit of an invasion ourselves recently, and I realized this morning that the new traps I bought didn't actually kill the little buggers and I felt bad for the one we caught a few days ago, assumed was dead, and tossed in the garbage outside. Next time I think I'm going to try the wheel traps. I think those deliver some kind of shock to the rodent as it enters looking for the goodies. Usually the good ol' snap traps work fine, but this batch didn't seem to like peanut butter.

Hopefully that's the last of them and my poor birdy won't be too stressed out to eat anymore.
                I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

I think mice are cute, too. Though I've never had to actually catch one - I did have to "rescue" one from my cats, once...and by rescue I mean scoop him onto a paper plate and move him outside so he could die in peace in the landscaping instead of being tortured to death by a kitty. He was just a little guy, too.

When I was in high school my brother caught a baby mouse in the basement. He kept it in the hamster habitrail (we no longer had hamsters but the habitrail was still in the garage) for a few days but he didn't last long.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Having mice around can be bad news, they carry hantavirus.

Comment

We had bought some of those things you plug in the wall and it's suppose to send off a noise they don't like. Well, ours seems to think that noise is the coolest thing ever. I swear they party down next to them.

Maintenance did come down and basically said it was my fault for not vacuuming enough or keeping crumbs off the floor. DH saw the flash come across my face and took me outside so I would not throw the maintenance man through the plate glass window or worse. I don't think I should have to explain to this man that I am in pain most of the time and trying to do as he thinks I should would make that pain a whole hell of a lot worse. Plus, I wanted him to tell me when it became all my responsibility in the first fucking place. I'm not the only person who lives in my house.

So, he puts out the spring type traps and goes outside to see if he can find where they are coming in. He comes back and says they are coming in through a hole near where the central air wires come in, because the hole is too big there. I bit my tongue so I wouldn't remind his dumbass the he told us weeks ago they were walking right in the front door with us, without us seeing. So, he went out there and put some stuff in the hole to keep them out.

He then comes back in and goes to fix the window in the boys' room on the second floor and comes down to tell us the crumbs on the little guy's desk would attract mice if the crumbs were on the floor and if mice somehow made it up the stairs. I bit my tongue so I wouldn't ask him if he has ever seen one of these amazing flying mice.

He finally left and I thought I could finally take a nap, since I had only two hours of sleep, but no, here comes my DH with our DD and her boyfriend, who wake me up to let me know they are there.
                      Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Working...
                      X