X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've just watched Avatar...

...and it is awesome.

It is stunning to look at, with great action sequences. It is big screen movie. The level of detail is incredible.

The story is a little bit 'Dances with Wolves', and characterisation and drama take a back seat to the spectacle.

I only saw it in 2d, can't wait to watch it again in 3D.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

It does look good! I unfortunately wont be able to see it for a little while though. Now I cant wait.

Comment

Cinema Guy, my dad likes army movies. Do you think he would like Avatar?
      SC: “Yeah, Bob’s Company. I'm Bob. It's my company.” - GK
      SuperHotelWorker made my Avi!!

Comment

There is a lot of sci-fi army stuff in Avatar, but they are ultimately shown in a bad light. If you want to know more PM me, so I don't post spoilers.

Comment

A friend of mine worked on the music for that one. When watching the credits, look for JAC Redford!
          "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

i'm so glad to hear it turned out awesome. when i first saw the previews, i was floored by how beautiful it looks. then i started getting worried because sometimes previews can be better than the actual movie. yay pretty! i'll have to watch it in 2d...then again in 3d so i can see the full effect...then maybe again in 2d just to compare
            If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
            ^_^

Comment

At times like this I'm glad we have an iMAX in Ft Lauderdale, we may go see it some evening next week.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Go watch Avatar. Seriously, go watch it now. What are you standing around reading this forum for?
                Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

It's also, according to something from someone I've heard, plot wise, the same as Fast & the Furious
                  I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

I'm planning on going to see this with my boyfriend on Boxing Day in Gold Class.

Thanks for the advice. maybe we should start a film/book review thread?
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
                      It's also, according to something from someone I've heard, plot wise, the same as Fast & the Furious
                      Or Donnie Brasco, or Point Break. It's not that uncommon:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoingNative

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ecomingTheMask

Comment

I'm sure this is a good movie. But it seems a lotta people can't understand why I wasn't in the crowd to watch Avatar or am dropping everything to go see it now.

Easy...I just wanna see it sometime when there's not something else that looks more interesting to me at the moment - or when I get some spare time. I learned from the scam that was "Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron" not to get suckered into every single "Number one movie in America", and the underappreciated movie like "Stranger than Fiction" not to get suckered into the "Don't see that - See THIS!"

I just wanna watch it sometime when I'm not expecting the best movie of all time...that's why I was severely let down with The Matrix *cleans mouth up with mouthwash* and why I spit out every alcoholic beverage I taste.
                        Kangaroo Squee!

Comment

Ultimately, I enjoyed Avatar. I just got back from seeing it now.

However, it attempts to straddle a few genres, and I think that was a mistake. The dances with wolves/fast and furious/the last samurai-esque story could have been told without using the foux-documentary style they did at the beginning, and it felt a little forced. Ultimately, I would recommend seeing it in theaters ONLY if you have an iMAX, or a theater showing it in 3-D (they do use the 3-D quite well), otherwise either wait for a really slow week, or hold off until DVD.

The action scenes were very pretty and effective, but, to be honest, they were really too coherent for my tastes. I know a lot of people complain about Michael Bay making movies where you can hardly tell what's going on, but I find that quite immersive, while movies like Avatar, where the special effects are wasted on one, maybe two events on screen at any one time, are really flow breaking to me in just how little is going on at any given time, because it is totally accurate that in any given camera shot, one to two things will be happening in the middle of one of the front lines of a giant battle. For what it is, the special effects are well used, I just find it to pull me out of the experience when all you see in a given action sequence is the main focus.

I would absolutely recommend going to see this movie, as it is well done, but again, I would've waited for DVD if it weren't for a group of my friends going and inviting me tonight, and I don't think I would have missed much except for the 3-D experience.
                          "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Just watched it tonight with my special movie watching abilities on my laptop. Pretty good movie considering I was never interested in seeing it (I honestly couldn't think of anything else to watch). But I think if I had actually watched it at the theater, it would have been amazing. Especially in imax. That'd be AWESOME.
                            "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth cinema guy View Post
                              It is stunning to look at, <snip> and characterization and drama take a back seat to the spectacle.

sorry I'll pass "looking pretty" does not make up for no/weak plot in my book-I like drama and characterization without those two elements you just have "ooo shiny"
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X