Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got nothing else to do tonight, so I think I'm going to go see the 8:30 showing. I have a feeling I'll be entertained.
    DS Andy Cartwright: Everyone and their mums is packin’ round here!
    Nicholas Angel: Like who?
    DS Andy Wainwright: Farmers.
    Nicholas Angel: Who else?
    DS Andy Cartwright: Farmers’ mums.

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
      sorry I'll pass "looking pretty" does not make up for no/weak plot in my book-I like drama and characterization without those two elements you just have "ooo shiny"
      I'd like to preface my response with the qualification that I enjoy both martial arts movies and Michael Bay movies, both of which are famous for weak stories and characters, but awesome action.

However, do not take Cinema Guy's words too seriously on this one. Think about The Last Samurai, and imagine that it had filled out 3 hours. That approximate balance of character/story and action sequences is what Avatar keeps. The characters are well defined, and you feel you know them, and while it's a story you've heard before, it is told well. There are only a few truly stock characters who do not receive some depth of characterization, mainly because they're the big bads. The issue you'll have with it is that the first two hours will interest you as much as they bored me, and the last hour will bore you as much as it excited me.
      "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Unsure how many people are familiar with The Spoony One, but he's just posted his and his brother's experience of watching the movie. It's about 40 minutes long, and a decent watch. I trust his opinion fairly well, and I've a feeling I'll be passing on this until it hits rentals.

Review can be found HERE
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I was not interested in seeing Avatar. I would see trailers for it at other movies I went to see, but it was just not sparking any interest. My brother, who goes to movies every week, saw it and text me that it was amazing. So, I decided to go and check it out.

I was ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY AMAZED by this movie. It was visually spectacular! If you have not seen this movie - run, do not walk to the nearest theater and see it NOW! No, really, go now! If you're waiting for it to come out on DVD - I hope you have a big screen TV with surround sound home theater system because it will not do the movie justice to see it on a small screen.

I'm going on Wednesday to see it in Imax 3D. I can't wait! WOOT!
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I'd rather see the new Sherlock Holmes movie, to be honest. (mmmm, Robert Downey, jr.....)
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
              A friend of mine worked on the music for that one. When watching the credits, look for JAC Redford!
              Saw the name, all the way to the right and I think in the third row. VERY COOL

LOVED the movie. Had a packed house with Mom and I getting the last two tickets for our showing. The guys behind us got the last six for the next showing.

EEEEEeeeee that world is awesome how I would have loved to help be on that set.

I think this is a movie I'm going to spring for the soundtrack when I find one. Just awesome.

Comment

no spoilers here either

my boyfriend liked it a lot so i watched it.

eh. not bad. it's better than i thought it would be cos i figured it was going to suck and be one of those movies that says "humans are killing the earth, humans suck" etc. kind of movie.

so it was better than i figured it would be
                somewhat predictable in the plot, but not bad.

right now the two movies i wanna see are the sherlock holmes movie and the rock

oh and the next doctor who episode but that's not a movie

Comment

I saw it yesterday in 3D. It was gorgeous.

The 3D was done very well. The last couple of movies that I've seen with 3D were Superman and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, and both of them used the 3D in only a couple of scenes. In Avatar, it took a while to get used to, but once I did, it was very immersive. Otherwise, the story reminded me more of Fern Gully

Comment

I heard the technique they used for the 3D made some viewers feel motion-sick. Anyone have that problem?

I know some people had that issue with Blair Witch, but it didn't bother me, although I am very prone to motion-sickness.
                    Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I didn't see Avatar in 3D, but I've seen plenty of other 3D films, and they don't bother me.

A friend of my mum's complains of motion sickness in 3D films.
                      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Saw it last night in 3D and neither I nor my wife (who can't get within 100 yards of an IMAX theater without tossing her cookies) had no problems at all. Before the movie, a theater rep stood up front and did say that some people have had motion sickness issues and if you feel sick, please close your eyes, etc. Also, since it's almost 3 hours long, the "Bladder Buster" sized soft drink might not be a great idea...

It was gorgeous to watch, and while the plot was predictable, I didn't find it detracted from the movie. A very enjoyable movie.
                        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Squee. I just saw it in 3D today. It was awesome, I am going to go see it IMAX 3D on Sat, with The Beau. I agree the story was a bit "dances with wolves" but its a retelling that's fun... and the visuals are KICK A**

...the only beef I had was the 3D isn't consistent. There were some parts that really messed with my head because you'd get two objects... both at the same depth... but one would be 3D and the other would not. things like that... threw it off once in a while... but didn't take away from the visuals enough to make me care.

Well worth the money.
                          "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                          -Red

Comment

Just been to see 'Dances with Smurfs' in 3D. Plot had some ludicrous moments, and there were some really predictable bits, but it was an astounding visual spectacle that more than made up for it.

Am intending seeing it a second time.

Rapscallion

Comment

Nekojin and I saw Avatar yesterday and we sprung for the 3D experience, and I have to say it was very well done. They didn't go overboard with the "pointy objects stabbing out at you" effect.

The story didn't have any real surprises, but it was very well-told and the pacing was amazing. It's nearly 3 hours long, and at no point was I anxious to get to the next scene, nor did I have any urge to know how much was left. Sure, it's an old story; they're all old stories.

As for the comment about "only one thing happening at a time in the action sequences" I didn't see that. I have a tendancy to watch events in the background and there was plenty going on.
                              Quoth Rapscallion View Post
                              Just been to see 'Dances with Smurfs' in 3D. Plot had some ludicrous moments, and there were some really predictable bits, but it was an astounding visual spectacle that more than made up for it.
                              The cinematography was absolutely gorgeous. This is a movie that must be seen on the big screen for the full effect.
                              Quoth Aethian View Post
                              I think this is a movie I'm going to spring for the soundtrack when I find one. Just awesome.
                              Ditto. I loved the music.
                              Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                              I'd rather see the new Sherlock Holmes movie, to be honest. (mmmm, Robert Downey, jr.....)
                              This was on my short list, but the early responses aren't looking promising. Most of the complaints are about it not being very clever or witty, which would be a complete waste of the franchise.

^-.-^
                              Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

My boss went to see it this weekend in 3D. Then she went to see it again a couple of days later. She had been wondering beforehand if she should take a book or not because she wasn't sure if she would like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X