This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baking help

Since there are a lot of really good cooks here, I am hoping you guys can help me.

I found a receipe for Hot Butter Rum Cheesecake. I don't want to make a big one but a lot of little bite size ones. I am wondering about the cooking time. The big one takes a hour or more. Anyone have an idea how long a pan of 24 would take to cook. Also how can you tell if a cheesecake is done without poking it?

Thanks a million in advance!!
    Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

"Bake until tops appear set, puffed, and golden at edges but still move slightly in center when shaken."

Is a tip I found for knowing when it is done. But depending on how big each of the 24 are going to be, I'm thinking 30-45 min bake time. Because you are changing the recipe size it is really going to come down to watching them closely to make sure they don't over cook.

I made scones the other day.... but I didn't want to make the HUGE scones the recipe called for, so I made cute little scones which made a TONE more than the recipe says, and it ended up taking almost the EXACT amount of time as the big scones. But I am not sure if cheesecake (being a softer substance) would have the same result.
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

Comment

Are you going to bake them in a waterbath? A lot of cheesecake recipes recommend this, as the batter will bake more evenly.

Anyway, I would start checking them after about 15-20 minutes. I wouldn't think the cooking time would be as long as if you were making a big cheesecake. I just made muffins the other night, out of a quick bread recipe; the recipe for 1 loaf of bread said to bake it for 60 minutes. My muffins took about 30 or 35.

What Red said about them being done is about right. It should look about like firm set Jell-O pudding. The last time I made cheesecake, I turned the oven off just before this point and propped the oven door open, and let the cheesecake sit in the cooling oven for an hour. This helps prevent the surface from cracking, but you might not have an issue with that since you're making minis anyway.

Comment

I looked up a few mini-cheesecake recipes and they only had baking times of 15-20 minutes...I'd watch them carefully...
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Thank you so much guys!! The red velvet cupcakes I baked early this week took the full time that the box said so that was what promoted my confusion.

I will let you know how they turn out.
          Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
            Thank you so much guys!! The red velvet cupcakes I baked early this week took the full time that the box said so that was what promoted my confusion.

I will let you know how they turn out.
            ...My fee for all cooking help is one mini-cheesecake... thank you ma'am.
            "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
            -Red

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
              ...My fee for all cooking help is one mini-cheesecake... thank you ma'am.
              Can I mail it to you next week? We decided at the last minute not to make them, spice cake and gingerbread cupcakes (no red velevt to be found last night.

And I am really glad I didn't, since they decided to move the pot luck to 11:30 instead of 5pm. My hubby only works part time and had left before they sent out the email on Wednesday.

So I am making the for Christmas.

Comment

Well I GUESS I can wait till next week... I mean, my sweet tooth is not going to like it... but I may survive.

^_^ mmm lucky you guys. They sound wonderful... makes me want to mess up my kitchen and make yummy things. I'm already planning Duck for Christmas Dinner... I haven't even THOUGHT about dessert yet. Must go assault the cook books.
                -Red

Comment

so I made the cheesecakes tonight, and for the little ones 20 minutes were perfect. I am doing a half hour for normal cupcake size. I then let them sit in the oven (off) for a half hour.

They are WAY yummy.

Also Spiced Pumpkin Fudge is very good. It is like eating a pumpkin shake!

Thanks for the help guys

Comment

Make sure you note this on your recipe papers!!!!

I've had to make adjustments to recipes over the years and always keep notes scribbled on the side as I go. It helps.

Cutenoob
                    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
                    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Elspeth View Post
                      Can I mail it to you next week? We decided at the last minute not to make them, spice cake and gingerbread cupcakesSo I am making the for Christmas.
                      What's the difference in spices between the two, and....recipes please?
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                      X