This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow-pocalypse!

Anyone else getting pounded by the storm?

Getting buried by the snow in my neck of the woods. Winter Storm has been upgraded to a blizzard and an emergency has been declared. About a foot of snow has already fallen with another foot expected by morning.

Thankfully it was forecast well ahead of time so I was able to get the store and get enough food and supplies to hunker down for a few days.
    I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

You beat me to it! I was gonna start this thread.

I'm on the shoreline of CT...we're supposed to get the worst of the storm, about 8-10" Nothing major...I'm guessing 9". It'll be more annoying to shovel than anything else.

The tire place was PACKED this morn...almost 3 hr to get my tires (it wasn't last minute for me, I got a flat on thrus and it was packed yesterday as well) The packie was even more crowded!!! HAHA....the more important things....booze.

I'm all set and looking forward to it: I have, my bf here, my cats, lots of food, lots of booze, lots of video game (Spirit Tracks!) Bring it!!

Though on a serious note....I fear many accidents in my state today.....be safe, nutmeggers!!!!
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

Out in my neck of the woods, we're to get at least 14 inches of snow. The cops were forced to reduce the speed on the major highways to 45 mph cause there so many accidents happening.
      I called off from work cause it's just not safe to travel anywhere. Too many morons on the road who have forgotten how to drive in winter weather.
      Last edited by Bright_Star; 12-19-2009, 06:15 PM.

Comment

So far I got nuthin. I guess it snowed a bit earlier because there is some powdery snow along the curbs, but at the moment it's snowing really lightly and little flakes, which just started within the last hour or so. My parents are only about 20 minutes south of me and my dad said they've gotten about 1/2 an inch. Weather.com's hour by hour is now showing their red "severe weather" box at 4:45.

My bigger concern is that my apartment, which had been fine heat-wise for the last couple weeks, is 60 degrees, with the heat turned up to 7 (out of 8).
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

im glad i got the weekend off! my brother tho got stuck working 8am-midnight rather than 8am-4 pm the manager and asst manager are too scared to drive

hasnt started yet every channel here says different totals but averaging them out i say maybe we'll get 10 inches this part of the state

on one of the news websites there were comments on this story,

"Ya know who likes these stories? Stop & Shop"

haha everybody get your bread and milk!!!

damn...i kinda needed bread. oh well i'll live

Comment

Hasn't started out here on LI yet, but the city has fallen under that pre-storm hush of anticipation. I've been checking out the window every five minutes for the last three hours.

I have food, booze, and cookie-making tools at the ready. I'm set!

Comment

Snowing harder now...and sideways. Starting to stick to the street.

I feel warmer now but that could be because I just got out of a way-too-hot shower (my skin will hate me but it feels sooooooo good). And my wet hair is still up in a towel and not hanging wet around my shoulders.

Edit: It's 9 minutes later and I'm cold again.
              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 12-19-2009, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Supposedly it's started snowing here. I just got snuggled under a fuzzy blanket with a cat, so I'm not going to check.

Oh screw it. SNOW!

Comment

radars show its over us but because the atmosphere is SO DRY it cant snow, not yet anyways. watching the weather channel and theres a few flurries in nyc so it will be maybe a couple more hours til it starts here

Comment

I am here in Canterbury holed up in a toasty warm house making a pot of beef stew on the wood stove and rising a batch of bread to go with it. Debating apple compote or orange compote for dessert, or maybe bread pudding from leftovers...
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                      I am here in Canterbury holed up in a toasty warm house making a pot of beef stew on the wood stove and rising a batch of bread to go with it. Debating apple compote or orange compote for dessert, or maybe bread pudding from leftovers...
                      Can I come over? It's only about a 4-5 hour drive, I guess...

Comment

We've got at least a half inch here in the City. CT should be getting hit within the hour. It appears to be a *very* slow moving storm.

Comment

Key West actually got slammed with its own version of a blizzard yesterday.

No, seriously. Torrential rain most of the day, and heavily flooded streets on many parts of the island. Many cars disabled by idiot drivers who tried to drive through some of the more deeply flooded areas, as well as those who had unwittingly parked in such areas before the rains came.

We had water coming into The Bar, which is raised significantly off of the street. Admittedly, the street The Bar is on is one of the most flood-prone in Key West. Many cars parked near The Bar were starting to float up on their suspension. Some people were not only wading in it, but trying to bicycle through it. One such gentleman did not judge right, and hit the (under water) curb, pulling a full-on face plant into the water. Luckily, he was unhurt, and actually appeared to be laughing about the incident. And, of course, we had the obligatory paddle-by from two jokers on a kayak. Can't say I blame them. How often does one get to kayak down the street? (In Key West, the answer is at least once a year, sometimes more.)

Less amusing were the jackasses in trucks and cars that went barreling through, causing huge wakes and waves, causing more water to go into homes or businesses trying to stay dry, soaking pedestrians trying to get somewhere, and generally being a nuisance. One such wake caused water to splash all the way to the TOP of one of The Bar's windows.

The Jestermobile was parked a block away from The Bar in a parking lot. While the water had receded by the time I got there after work, it seems the water there got up to the bottom of the door sills. Luckily, no apparent water damage to my beloved blue steed. Also luckily, I had a change of shoes with me, as it looked like it was going to be a wet one, though of course I had no idea it was going to be a full on tropical blizzard!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Key West actually got slammed with its own version of a blizzard yesterday.
                            I was going to tell you to STFU, but flooding sucks, so I won't. But at least it's not 25 degrees where you are...

Comment

Hey, for once I really wasn't gloating. I actually referred to it at work to my customers as "a Key West blizzard," because it was REALLY coming down. Trust me when I tell you that, just like with snow, people just do NOT know how to drive when faced with water! And while that particular street floods fairly often, this was the deepest I remember seeing it since they put in new drains a while back. The Bar itself almost got flooded, and did get some water coming in.

No, we didn't have the temps or the snow, but if it makes y'all feel better, you can think of it as karmic payback for all the gloating I DO do.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X