This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I took the liberty of ordering you another scotch!"

So, speaking of early Christmas presents, my friend AdamAnt316 stopped by my house earlier today so we could exchange gifts, since we won't be able to see each other either Christmas Eve or Day (I'm working Christmas Eve, and we're both going out of town to see relatives on Christmas Day).

As per his request, I got him a bottle of Orgeat syrup and a bottle of orange curacao (which - thanks to the infinite wisdom of the NH liquor board - is suddenly a lot harder to find around here) so as to complete his Mai Tai kit.

Thing is, I didn't actually ask him for anything in particular. So imagine my surprise when he turned up with a Chivas Gift Pack containing a fifth of Chivas Regal 12 year and two Chivas-branded rocks glasses.

It's gonna take me forever to finish off that bottle, since I don't drink all that much to begin with and need to be in the right mood for scotch, but it's still a hell of a gift (which cost more than twice what I spent on his).

Oh yes, bonus points for figuring out the reference in the thread title (AdamAnt316 is automatically disqualified from guessing, since he already knows).
    Last edited by Dave1982; 12-23-2009, 02:42 AM.
    "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Daniel? Why in God's name are you dressed up as a woman?!
    Sometimes life is altered.
    Break from the ropes your hands are tied.
    Uneasy with confrontation.
    Won't turn out right. Can't turn out right

Comment

"One day as a woman and I'm already having hot flashes."

Comment

I went and replenished my Jamesons supply last weekend. I got the gift set for myself. Why pay the same price for just the bottle when I get two free glasses with it?

At this rate, all my glassware will be branded in liquor logos.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quite a few of my glasses are branded with various liquor names, mostly because one of the local liquor stores plucks off the promotional glasses that they sometimes put on the tops of bottles (not including boxed gift sets, of course), then resells them for 50 cents each and donates the money to charity. I've got some Frangelico stemless cocktail glasses, Dewar's rocks glasses, Remy Martin glasses, and a few others from them.
          "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

"OHELLOOOO" "It's my Nightly Meringue mask"
            "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
            -Red

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
              Bella's the same way.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                And the flaw to that is....what, exactly?

As for early Christmas presents, this was kind of funny.

Monday I retrieved from the mail a package from Nurse Betty, another package that is almost certainly from Lil Sis (since she lives in the U.K., she usually gets me something online, and so I get a package with the return address of the company, not her), and an envelope from Mom.

So I called Mom. I told Mom I had gotten said items, and told her about my conversation with Nurse Betty. Nurse Betty had told me three times that she was getting me something, but I was Not Allowed To Open It Until Christmas Day. She felt the need to stress this because, ya know, I'm not Christian and all, so might not Get It. Of course, growing up in a mixed (and mixed up) family, I do get it, and this is neither my first Christmas nor my first rodeo. I told Nurse Betty that every year, including this one, Lil Sis goes out of her way to tell me not to open whatever I get from her until Christmas, or DIRE THINGS will happen. To be fair, I always honor this request/demand, so much so that I told Nurse Betty I would not even "cheat" and open up either item when the clock strikes midnight on Christmas Eve night, and would open them the next day. Then the last time we talked, she said if I really wanted to, I could open up her package. Are you kidding me? Hell no! You tell me something three times, I am going to listen to that, damn it!

So I relayed all this to Mom, because I know Mom couldn't give two flying figs about that particular time issue. And when I pointed out to Mom that, religiously, I am more a Pagan than a Jew or a Christian, and that Monday was the Winter Solstice, she agreed that it would be more appropriate for me to open her gift right then and there. (Gotta love Mom!)

Of course, there was no surprise to Mom's, as it was her usual Visa gift card, but I am perfectly fine with that, as I always get something with it that I know I want! Mom used to get really cool gifts, the kind that makes you scratch your head and ask, "How the hell did she know I wanted that?!?!" But Mom is now in her Seventies, and I have no problem with her getting lazy about these things. (And if either of my sisters have a problem with this, they are going to have to answer to me!)

Right now, I am thinking of using Mom's gift to get that ASU Pat Tillman jersey I've been wanting......

Who else has gotten AND OPENED early Christmas gifts?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

i open one early gift every year
                  its a tradition

Comment

Working...
                  X