This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not in a holiday spirit

So, its Christmas Eve, and it just doesn't feel like it. I have no holiday spirit (okay, I was excited for the Solstice)

Going to the 'rents tonight for Eve dinner... that'll be fun, and I love watching the lil cousins play Wii, and A Christmas Story is on tonight, so that may change things

Just now I'll all blah blah blah.
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

I hear ya.

It really just doesn't feel like a Christmas-y season to me.

Of course, my Dad was the one who would bring out the tree and decorate stuff...

Without him around it just doesn't feel the same.
    "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

The weather has definetly ruined the spirit for me.

It was quite a feat getting back from my boyfriend's house today, I just simply don't feel like risking it again. It look me 20 minutes to drive 3 miles, and I am not counting the extra 5-10 minutes it took to initially clean off the car.

If the roads get any worse, my dad is going to come get me tomorrow morning so I can still spend Christmas Day with the family.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Yeh, I don't feel Christmas-y either.

Nearly lost it today in the dollar store though. Was looking at Christmas decorations, and one reminded me of one that we used to have up every year when I was a kid... helping my Mom get out the decorations, put them up around the house... six months since we lost her to cancer... damn.
        There's no such thing as a stupid question... just stupid people.

Comment

I was in a decent mood until I got in my car to leave work...

I'm wrapping presents but I'm not really in the mood. And I feel like I need something else for my dad...I probably didn't spend a whole lot more, but I have more "stuff" for my mom...maybe I'll run across to the liquor store and see if they have his Drambuie...

Listening to "A Colbert Christmas" and "Nightmare Before Christmas" soundtracks ...

Love Fallout Boy's version of "What's This?"
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I went last minute shopping today, fairly large town, nobody about except a few miserable looking stragglers, there were no lines in the shops, i got served quickly, the only shop which had people in was the supermarket and even there i had only two people in the line in front of me.

There is really something wrong this year, not caused by the weather.Even the shop assistants told me they had been slow today, and that's bad on Christmas Eve.
            Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

Quoth blas View Post
              The weather has definetly ruined the spirit for me. It was quite a feat getting back from my boyfriend's house today, I just simply don't feel like risking it again. It look me 20 minutes to drive 3 miles, and I am not counting the extra 5-10 minutes it took to initially clean off the car. If the roads get any worse, my dad is going to come get me tomorrow morning so I can still spend Christmas Day with the family.
              This. I can't see my family (80 miles away) due to the ice. So I have a day off, finally, and everything will be closed. I will go walk in the woods tomorrow if it snows.
              Last edited by Food Lady; 12-24-2009, 10:17 PM.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                I'm wrapping presents but I'm not really in the mood. And I feel like I need something else for my dad...I probably didn't spend a whole lot more, but I have more "stuff" for my mom...maybe I'll run across to the liquor store and see if they have his Drambuie...
                Asked my brother if he got my dad the Drambuie (he said he was getting the scotch he asked for, and I got the black Sambuca - no my dad's not an alcoholic ). He said he got both, but that he feels like he has more stuff for my dad, so we're even. So I'm not gonna worry 'bout it.

Just need to figure out how to wrap the glass measuring cups ... I don't have a box deep enough.

Comment

I have had a really hard time getting in the mood for Christmas. It just doesn't seem right to celebrate without my Dad. And Christmas Day will be exactly 6 months since he passed away. Mom keeps telling me that Dad wouldn't want us to not enjoy Christmas - it was one of his favorites because he got to have all his kids and grandchildren together for the day.
                  "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Yeah, all that snow you guys are getting is rain here. A lot of roads are flooded, a bunch of my friends won't be going home tomorrow, one of my aunts likely won't make the trip, we were out of power all this afternoon, my BIL is on call this weekend (he's a lineman) so he'll probably be working all day tomorrow, and my Dad decided to put himself in the holiday "spirit." (He's an alcoholic and tends to get mouthy when he drinks.) *sigh*

Good things about today: I got to unwrap warm fleecy pajamas and a new bathrobe, Mom and I got all the presents finished and wrapped, and I made the pecan pie all by myself!
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

My friend's dad passed away last Tuesday...and today is his birthday (which I realized when I checked her Facebook earlier).

But it's also her son's first Christmas (he was born 07/08/09), and she is with her mom and sister and nephew (she's been there for a couple weeks), and her husband got down there yesterday, so hopefully they will be able to make some happy memories in spite of it.

Comment

Ugh, I didn't mean to start such a sad thread.....so sorry for everyone's loss

Feeling better here....I love my lil cousins, was good to see them.....and I saw the tree in my old town.....so I'm getting the spirit.

Also found one of my beloved childhood toys....a 20+ yr old orange stuffed cat...I had the grey one at my home, thought the orange one was lost....but he is not!!
                        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
                        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

No worries, Cat.

I am enjoying having the apartment to myself. My roommate went to her mom's for the night because she doesn't want her mom to wake up to an empty house (this is their second Christmas without her dad).

I also had a fireplace-scented candle burning while I wrapped gifts earlier, and I just enjoyed a cup of hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps. Gonna go get ready for bed soon.

Comment

Quoth It's me View Post
                            Yeh, I don't feel Christmas-y either.

Nearly lost it today in the dollar store though. Was looking at Christmas decorations, and one reminded me of one that we used to have up every year when I was a kid... helping my Mom get out the decorations, put them up around the house... six months since we lost her to cancer... damn.
                            I know how you feel. Last Christmas was just over two months after I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer. Not the cheeriest of times, but I tried valiantly to keep the spirit alive, as mom always loved CHristmas. Of course, trying to decide on a gravestone after opening present was kind of a mood killer. Your post made me tear up a bit. It's hard, but if you and your family can come together and lean on one another, you'll make it through. Best wishes & condolences to you!
                            "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

I have a suggestion for all the people posting about having a Christmas without a particular family member.

Rather than making it a sad occasion, make it positive. Don't avoid the fact that the loved one is gone, but have everyone share their favorite story (or stories) about that person. Yes, there will be tears, but they will be tears of fondness, of love, and hopefully it will make the absence of that person a little easier to bear, as you remember the good times and the things you loved about them. And as you remember them together.

[QUOTE=BookstoreEscapee;664664Just need to figure out how to wrap the glass measuring cups ... I don't have a box deep enough.[/QUOTE]

Explain? Maybe I can help. My mom is a Championship Wrapper, and I have learned quite a bit from her.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X