This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Job (Finally!)

Many of you here on CS probably don't know me very well, as I tend to be more active over on Fratching than I am here. However, I just wanted to share that I have recently started a new job---a job that pertains to the master's degree that I earned in August of 2008. This ends a job hunt that has been going on ever since August of 2008. That doesn't mean I've been sitting around the house broke and unemployed ever since then. I have done an internship and some freelance work during my job search, and I've been doing volunteer work in the technical services department of a local library, so I've stayed fairly busy, on top of applying for tons of jobs and writing dozens of cover letters and tweaking my resume time after time so that it matches each individual job.

The master's degree I earned was in library and information science. The degree is called Master of Library and Information Science, and the abbreviation for it is M.L.I.S. I can put that after my name if I want to, just like doctors often put M.D. after their names. The job I got is that of a librarian at a small technical college. It's a college a lot like DeVry and ITT Tech. They have locations all over the place, and their degree programs tend to be more technical with less focus on general education requirements than most four-year colleges (though they do have a few Gen Ed requirements).

That brings me to another part of the job. They also had me fill out a form that allows them to request my transcripts from both of the colleges I attended. They will study those transcripts and see which courses I am eligible to teach. So, I might also be teaching a few courses, depending on the needs of the college. I think that's pretty cool, since I've always thought I would enjoy teaching colleges classes. The administrative assistant told me that almost everyone with master's degrees or higher get approved to teach Pre-English. Also, since my bachelor's degree is in psychology, I'll probably get approved to teach that. I'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway, I know most of you probably aren't overly familiar with me. I'm just glad to be able to call an end to a sixteen month job search.
    But I'm so glad to finally have a permanent job and finally feel like the time and effort I devoted to getting my master's degree was worthwhile. I'm also glad that I can take a break from reading job postings and writing cover letters and adjusting my resume for each job. That was really getting tiresome.

That's so awesome. I'm very happy for you.

Congratulations.

Comment

Yayy!!! Congrats!
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Congrats! I know that alot of graduates are having a difficult time finding jobs even with a degree. My daughter graduated from college in December of 2008 and just started her bank job right before Thanksgiving. Up until then she was working part time at a liquor store. Great way to use that degree
        "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth freeatlast View Post
          Congrats! I know that alot of graduates are having a difficult time finding jobs even with a degree. My daughter graduated from college in December of 2008 and just started her bank job right before Thanksgiving. Up until then she was working part time at a liquor store. Great way to use that degree
          Thanks, and to everyone else, too.

I was starting to think about applying for a few retail jobs, just so I could have one steady form of income until I finally found something. The freelance stuff and the internship were both nice, but both were temporary, at least the internship was. With the freelance stuff, my contract would have lasted until March 15, 2010, at which time it had the possibility of getting renewed, depending on the company's needs at that time.

But yeah, it is really nice to be finally using my degree. I bet your daughter feels the same way. Congrats to her as well.

Comment

Working...
          X