X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron Skillet

With about 5+ damage.

I had to move a few months ago and had a friend hold my skillet for me. When he returned it - it's now got rust and gunk in it! WAAAAA!

I scrubbed it really really good, and got the "seasoned" part stripped off, and all the rust. Will it ever be as good as it was? I put it in the oven at 200F for a full hour, and oiled it good w/ veggie oil.

Did I miss anything?

Cutenoob
    In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
    She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

sounds like you've made a good start. unfortunately it'll just take time and use to get it seasoned back to the point it was, but it will get there eventually.
    My Space

Comment

I used higher heat when I seasoned my first (brand new) cast iron skillet. Around 400-450F. Method vary a lot as to how hot the oven should be so I don't know if one way is better than the other. I rubbed mine with vegetable oil inside and out, turned it upside down, put a piece of foil on the bottom rack, and the upside down skillet on the top (the foil's there to catch any oil that might drip.) Baked it at 400 for an hour, then let it cool in the closed oven until room temp. I did this method twice before even using my skillet. I use mine mostly for baking and it works great.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        Did I miss anything?
        Yes. You forgot to take the skillet and swing it with all your strength into your friend's head. What the HELL were they thinking, screwing up your skillet like that?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Yes. You forgot to take the skillet and swing it with all your strength into your friend's head. What the HELL were they thinking, screwing up your skillet like that?
          Not with the cast iron it's been through too much for more abuse. Another skillet on the other hand would be find.
          How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

Also, I have heard that you should fry simple stuff the first few times you use your skillet for frying. Bacon is good, or anything else that's pretty fatty. This will help build up the new seasoning. Also use a metal spatula to scrape stuff out of it so you don't get a buildup of any gunk on the surface. I haven't really used my skillet for frying anything yet so I don't know how well this works.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys.

I like my skillet too much to whonk my friend's head. I'll just be careful next few uses on it, and make sure I use oily/fatty stuff in it.

At least it was fixable!

Cutenoob
              In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
              She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth MaggieTheCat View Post
                Also, I have heard that you should fry simple stuff the first few times you use your skillet for frying. Bacon is good, or anything else that's pretty fatty. This will help build up the new seasoning. Also use a metal spatula to scrape stuff out of it so you don't get a buildup of any gunk on the surface. I haven't really used my skillet for frying anything yet so I don't know how well this works.
                to add to that i was told a table spoon of water right after you cook and a quck wipe with a paper towel can prevent the build up from building up

Comment

Working...
                X