This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• derangedperson's Oscar predictions

Here's who I think will win some of the Oscar noms this year. Odds are I'll be completely wrong on a couple of them, so take it with a grain of salt.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Mo'Nique, Precious

BEST ACTOR
    Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart

BEST ACTRESS
    Gadboury Sidibe, Precious

BEST DIRECTOR
    Pete Docter, Up

BEST PICTURE
    Up

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
    Anvil! The Story Of Anvil
    The New Orleans Saints are your 2009 NFL champions.

Believe dat.

I do this every year, and usually do pretty well. Although I usually wait for the nominations to come out, and then try to pick a winner.

Quoth derangedperson View Post
    BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Christoph Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
    I think so...at least I certainly hope so. ETA: I just looked at the SAG list, and it doesn't seem like he'll have much stiff competition. It was a wonderful performance.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Mo'Nique, Precious
    Unlikely. Look for one of the ladies from Nine to take this....either Penelope Cruz or perhaps a farewell nod to Sophia Loren. OR one of the ladies from the new Tennessee Williams' Loss of a Teardrop Diamond

ETA: The ladies from Inglourious Basterds are also possible noms. If Melanie Laurent, the actress that played Shoshanna, gets nominated she has a very good shot. The Supporting Oscars are all about newcomers, foreigners, and 'actors who have been around forever but haven't won any major awards'. Diane Kruger got a SAG nom, but I don't feel that her performance was as strong.

BEST ACTOR
    Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
    Perhaps. I don't have any sense of this one. Wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Robert Downey, Jr. on the nomination list, at least. (Although he's more likely to get a Golden Globe.

ETA: Also, George Clooney (Up in the Air is still getting very good reviews. Also...Morgan Freeman played Nelson Mandela (Invictus). That has Oscar written ALL over it.

BEST ACTRESS
    Gadboury Sidibe, Precious
    Very likely, since Marion Cotilliard won so recently for La Vie En Rose. ETA: Her biggest competition is a toughie though - Meryl Streep (Julie/Julia). Since Julie/Julia and Nine will be considered musicals/comedies, Sidibe will very definitely get a Golden Globe.

BEST DIRECTOR
    Pete Docter, Up

BEST PICTURE
    Up
    Nominated, yes. Win, no. Unfortunate, but Nine will be a tour de force, and Tarantino will be an underdog (i.e. he didn't win for Pulp Fiction, so he should get this one).

Oh, and Tarantino will be nominated for Best Original Screenplay, and a likely winner. Also, there could be a post-mortem nod for Tennessee Williams....although the newest Coen brothers release could be a sleeper.
    Last edited by AdminAssistant; 12-26-2009, 08:29 PM. Reason: Had time to look up some stuff
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
    X