X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's official!

I am now a car owner.

Dad was driving home today from your friendly hardware warehouse when he saw a car parked near home for $2500AUD. Asked me about it, we went and had a look.

Went and rung the owner, who came out and explained everything to dad. Dad checked the engine and took it for a test drive-it drove beautifully, no pinging noises, no funny smells etc. Managed to knock the price down a little bit further....

So for $2000, I am the owner of a nice lovely 2001 Kia Rio.
    The only problems are that the airbag light doesn't turn off (that's getting fixed) and the timing belt needs to be looked at, but no problems otherwise (besides the aesethic cracking of the paint on the hood). Dad checked it against the Encumbered Vehicles list and found no problems.

So we're getting it tomorrow and I'll be starting driving practice with dad on Sunday after work. (we're practicing in the carparks and side streets)

To those who wrote in my Used Car thread, thanks very much for the advice. Dad took it all very well. He handled the negotiations, while I checked it out thoroughly.

And yes, I promise not to put frangipani stickers on the back.

ETA: The car was originally going for $3,000. Because of the problem with the airbag light, it's now $2,500. Dad negotiated again. The reason behind the low price was due to the fact that the guy selling it was given it by family who were moving interstate. He didn't need the extra car, so it was a quick sale-not because it had major problems.
    Last edited by fireheart; 12-29-2009, 03:07 AM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Congrats and enjoy your car!
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Woohoo, getting you're first car is a great experience, means freedom, no more relying on the parentals to take you somewhere.

Congrats
      I am but a tiny, barren, insignificant rock caught in the glorious orbit of your shining sun. Gravekeeper.

Comment

Generally, most areas I can get to with public transport and both my sister and I try to use this where possible. The only cases are when the bus times don't work well with work start/finish times or if the location isn't accessible by a bus route.

Comment

Congrats!!

Speaking of the timing belt, remember it's suggested they be replaced at 60,000 miles (would that be 100,000 km?). If not, and it breaks, it will destroy the engine's valves.

Those are good choices for driver's training. The busier roads and freeways only add to the stress, especially if the "trainer" is not a very patient person, as was in my case when I was practicing my driving, outside of the actual Driver's Ed, around 35 years ago.

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

JaC, driver training in my state consists of the following:

-having "L" plates attached to your vehicle at all times while you're driving it.
            -Cannot drive unsupervised (you need a fully-qualified supervising driver, not a mate)
            -Need to build up 50 hours on the road, which are logged.
            -Need to complete one of two options with a driving school: the Vehicle On Road Test (or VORT for short) or the CBT (Compentency Based Training). Both have exactly the same components, the only difference is that with the CBT, they don't sign off on the tasks until you can complete them, whereas the VORT you have to do them all at once.

I'm doing the CBT component with a driving school and driving with my dad to build up my hours at first (I'll start driving with mum when I have the hang of it)

Comment

Quoth fireheart17 View Post
              JaC, driver training in my state consists of the following:

-having "L" plates attached to your vehicle at all times while you're driving it.
              -Cannot drive unsupervised (you need a fully-qualified supervising driver, not a mate)
              -Need to build up 50 hours on the road, which are logged.
              -Need to complete one of two options with a driving school: the Vehicle On Road Test (or VORT for short) or the CBT (Compentency Based Training). Both have exactly the same components, the only difference is that with the CBT, they don't sign off on the tasks until you can complete them, whereas the VORT you have to do them all at once.

I'm doing the CBT component with a driving school and driving with my dad to build up my hours at first (I'll start driving with mum when I have the hang of it)

That's one way to flag down a newbie driver...L on the license plate. In Florida, you have the yellow stripe at the top that says Learner's License Class E (it's green once you get your regular license) Regardless of your age, you still have to drive on curfew and they have it on the back of your learner's permit.
              I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
              Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
              Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

I should add to that, the 50 hours of driving is split into 40 hours during the day and 10 at night.

Comment

Working...
                X