This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog advice needed

My dog (5-year-old Lab/Blue heeler (?) mix) has been wheezing/ gasping for breath when she barks lately. She had heat stroke earlier this year, and she sounds like she did then, except she's not over heated, and her gums/ tongue are the normal color.

Help?
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Could be a respitory infection?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

She doesn't seem to have an issue when she's not barking (we have someone working on the roof today), there's no drainage from her eyes or nose, and there's no change in her personality or activity level. So I don't know.
      What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

It could be allergies also. If she's been doing it awhile a trip to the Vet is probably what's really needed.
        "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
        HellGate: London

Comment

Quoth Parrothead View Post
          My dog (5-year-old Lab/Blue heeler (?) mix) has been wheezing/ gasping for breath when she barks lately. She had heat stroke earlier this year, and she sounds like she did then, except she's not over heated, and her gums/ tongue are the normal color.

Help?
          do you give her heartworm testing(yearly)/prevention(monthly) regularly?

Wheezing/gasping is a late symptom of heartworm, among other things.....
          Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Call the vet.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

What BlaqueKatt said.
              My aunt had an Australian Shepherd/Black Lab she kept chained in the backyard and left it up to her irresponsible daughter to feed and water her. My aunt decided to downsize her dog and was going to drop Pepper off at the county shelter. I told her I wanted her. I noticed Pepper would do a dry hacking cough after barking a little. I took her to the vet as soon as I could- I got her on a Friday and had to wait till Monday. They said Pepper had heartworms and since I couldn't afford the expensive treatment, they said I could either put her down or try heartworm pills for a year to see if it improves. She has her one year check up in three months. She has saved my life twice now.

Comment

Working...
              X