This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WoW Thread: Dungeon Finder

Since we have a small number of people here who play WoW, and with the recent changes, I thought I'd get a discussion started about our experiences with the new Dungeon Finder.

My experiences so far:

First off, picking out of the list of available dungeons/instances does not give you the rewards that letting the system find one for you, even IF you have quests to complete in that particular instances.

Second, Healers get into groups almost instantly compared to DPS classes. Perhaps it's just my characters high amount of suckage , but mage, hunter, and DK have all had to wait 15 - 20 minutes for a late-night run, and my lowly Shaman gets in within a minute, regardless of the time of night.

Being a healer is actually cool, since really all I have to do is keep the fighters healed and avoid agro. However, it can be a pain in the a** if you have a warlock who thinks he's a tank...

As to the last, one of my many runs through Blackfathom Depths (gawd, I'll be glad when she levels beyond that one) and I have a Warlock, using only an imp (instead of the voidwalker for some reason) and for some reason, he keeps tanking. I don' t know if it's because his imp was drawing agro to him, or if he was just inexperienced, but nothing I could do would convince him to stay out of combat. Until he died and left the group, I was spending more mana healing him than I was on the tank.

Eric the Grey
    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

I'm taking a break from the game but a friend of mine who plays told me that they started the new group finder. She says she gets into dungeons and raids a lot faster. Did they implement the new disenchanting option yet or are they doing that for the new expansion? I heard a lot of disenchanters complaining about it for some reason.

I personally don't raid (unless it's a city raid). I hate it. Alot of the people I've raided with take the game way too seriously and it's just not fun.

Comment

Quoth Sunsetsky View Post
      I'm taking a break from the game but a friend of mine who plays told me that they started the new group finder. She says she gets into dungeons and raids a lot faster.
      Yup. Tanks and healers, due to the rarity, get invited almost instantly, while DPS, depending on the battlegroup (group of severs) can range from 10-20 minutes, not too shabby. Before I would be in maybe one dungeon a day, if that often. Now I have my damage spec almost maxed out and am working on my healing spec. It does have it's drawbacks though. A number of players seem to like to rush through the dungeons with little regard for the rest of the party. It can get frustrating sometimes.

Did they implement the new disenchanting option yet or are they doing that for the new expansion? I heard a lot of enchanters complaining about it for some reason.
      To start off with, fixed.

Yes, the new need and greed system is in place with the D/E option if there's an appropriately skilled enchanter in the party, and thought he forums are bitching about it, I haven't seen the attitude in game. A lot of the bitching seems to stem from the enchanters who felt they should be the only ones to control the enchanting market so they could make a ton of money off of it (charge to process the mats, charge to buy the mats, and charge to do the enchant), now they're not nearly in as much control and they are whining about it.
      I AM the evil bastard!
      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post
        Yes, the new need and greed system is in place with the D/E option if there's an appropriately skilled enchanter in the party, and thought he forums are bitching about it, I haven't seen the attitude in game. A lot of the bitching seems to stem from the enchanters who felt they should be the only ones to control the enchanting market so they could make a ton of money off of it (charge to process the mats, charge to buy the mats, and charge to do the enchant), now they're not nearly in as much control and they are whining about it.
        I thought the disenchant process was only available to enchanters. If they choose disenchant, and won the roll, they ended up with the materials they would have gotten if they had taken the step to disenchant, rather than the item itself.

Are you saying that anyone can obtain the materials in this case? That doesn't make sense to me, and I've not actually seen that.

Eric the Grey

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
          I thought the disenchant process was only available to enchanters. If they choose disenchant, and won the roll, they ended up with the materials they would have gotten if they had taken the step to disenchant, rather than the item itself.

Are you saying that anyone can obtain the materials in this case? That doesn't make sense to me, and I've not actually seen that.

Eric the Grey
          Anyone can select disenchant as an option now. I ran a random dungeon on one of my lower level toons and selected "disenchant" on some blues...I actually got the shards, and that toon is not an enchanter. So, it does work regardless of your tradeskills.
          --Kim--

“It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane.” Philip K. Dick

Comment

Quoth CSR Kim View Post
            Anyone can select disenchant as an option now. I ran a random dungeon on one of my lower level toons and selected "disenchant" on some blues...I actually got the shards, and that toon is not an enchanter. So, it does work regardless of your tradeskills.
            Cool. I guess I can see the reason why enchanters would be upset. My BF has an enchanter and he does a lot of disenchanting while in dungeons, but as far as I know he doesn't sell them.

On the other hand, it's a good way to get the materials for enchants you want for your toons. Gotta remember that.

By the way, anybody take Tailoring and Enchanting as a combo? Once you get to the right level and start making green items, you can disenchant them after you make them, and have tons of enchanting materials to work with.

Eric the Grey

Comment

How it works it that when an item qualifies to be rolled on in the Need or Greed system (green or higher in the random group , unchangeable), there's 3 icons now. The dice for need, the coin for greed, and the new icon for disenchant. If you have an enchanter in the party, this is highlighted, otherwise greyed out. (need also gets greyed out if you don't qualify for the loot, like plate armor for a mage) Some other drops are greyed out regardless.

That said, like before, need gets priority rolls, if there are none, then the greed and disenchant roll. If you select greed, you get the item. If you select disenchant, you get the material it disenchants to.

By the way, anybody take Tailoring and Enchanting as a combo? Once you get to the right level and start making green items, you can disenchant them after you make them, and have tons of enchanting materials to work with.
              It works at low skill levels, but higher stuff usually requires other components from other professions to make, and it's usually done at a loss.
              I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth lordlundar View Post

It works at low skill levels, but higher stuff usually requires other components from other professions to make, and it's usually done at a loss.
                That's what other toons are for. I have multiple characters, and for the most part, cover most of the different professions. Don't have an enchanter or tailor though, not on my main server.

One particular character does just gathering. Mining and Skinning. At level 21, she had more money than my DK did after purchasing cold weather flying, and THAT was after giving him 200 gold to make the purchase.

Eric the Grey

Comment

Thats why i (dps) queue up with hubby (tank) and friend (healer) and the dungeon invites are instantaneous.

I like it though. Its a convenient system.

I LOVE the DE option as I was usually DE'er for the group and then would have to search my bags for items. DE, then have people roll and trade crap over to them. This saves time for me.

Comment

To clarify something. The disenchant option is ONLY available if there is an enchanter actually in your group. If you're in a group with no enchanter, you only have the standard need and greed options available to you, and if you want the item disenchanted (provided it's not a bop), you still have to go the standard route of having someone do it for you.

Me, I like the new dungeon finder system. Before it came along I flatly refused to pug, I would ONLY run with my guild. I still prefer running with guildies, but I'll use the random system from time to time now. I pretty much always sign up for the random dungeon, there's just one place that I refuse to go and if the loading screen for it pops up I just leave the group. Maybe a bit sucky of me, but I'm pure DPS and there are never any lack of those, so it's not like a group has to wait very long to replace me. I've run more dungeons since the dungeon finder went live than I had probably in the last 2 or 3 years of playing wow.
                    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                      To clarify something. The disenchant option is ONLY available if there is an enchanter actually in your group. If you're in a group with no enchanter, you only have the standard need and greed options available to you, <snip>
                      Ok, this makes sense now. I didn't recall seeing the option, so more than likely, I've just not been in a party with an enchanter.

I do love the dungeon finder. Normally, I tend to group irregularly, usually with D or my BF, or if I find someone trying to do the same quest as I at the same time. I usually makes things easier and quicker.

Plus, I've come up with some nice equipment upgrades doing dungeons.

Eric the Grey

Comment

Sounds like a good system really. Raiding killed WoW for me. Once we reached the point where we were no longer able to duo entire instances between my hunter and my friend's priest we quit. Though it was disturbing just how much raid content we could duo.

We do that in every mmo though. Everyone in my circle of friends has one class archtype they always end up on regardless of game and then we start beating content made for a much larger group. >.>

Biggest problem with WoW is there are other people in it though. Thats why we quit. Once you're forced to deal with the morons in your own server it gets much less fun. The game is also far far too tilted towards gear.

On the upside you can run it on practically any computer. Which is in part why its so popular me thinks.

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
                          Sounds like a good system really. Raiding killed WoW for me. Once we reached the point where we were no longer able to duo entire instances between my hunter and my friend's priest we quit. Though it was disturbing just how much raid content we could duo.

We do that in every mmo though. Everyone in my circle of friends has one class archtype they always end up on regardless of game and then we start beating content made for a much larger group. >.>

Biggest problem with WoW is there are other people in it though. Thats why we quit. Once you're forced to deal with the morons in your own server it gets much less fun. The game is also far far too tilted towards gear.

On the upside you can run it on practically any computer. Which is in part why its so popular me thinks.
                          With the way they've got the badge system set up now, anyone can get access to top end gear without setting foot into any raid. Just run random dungeons (if you can stand the occasional incompetant idiot) and pile up badges, then use those to buy gear. It's a little slow getting the very top end badges that way, but you'll pile up the next step down fast.

I have to say that my experiences with random groups have been fairly good, more often than not I'm thrown in with other people who have a clue and do their jobs with a minimum of fuss and bother.

It is true that WoW is heavily gear oriented. Having better gear makes a HUGE difference in what you can do. However, the best gear in the game won't make a complete fucktard a good player, there is still and (hopefully) always will be an element of skill involved.
                          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                            I pretty much always sign up for the random dungeon, there's just one place that I refuse to go and if the loading screen for it pops up I just leave the group.
                            Oculus, right?
                            I AM the evil bastard!

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                              With the way they've got the badge system set up now, anyone can get access to top end gear without setting foot into any raid. Just run random dungeons (if you can stand the occasional incompetant idiot) and pile up badges, then use those to buy gear. It's a little slow getting the very top end badges that way, but you'll pile up the next step down fast.
                              I hadn't actually looked into the whole badge thing at first until a friend told me about it. Now I can see the potential for it.

However, since my highest level (my DK) is only 77, I have a while to go, but also a chance to stockpile a bunch of badges before I go and purchase gear.

Quoth Kittish View Post
                              I have to say that my experiences with random groups have been fairly good, more often than not I'm thrown in with other people who have a clue and do their jobs with a minimum of fuss and bother.
                              That's pretty much been my experience overall. Just the occasional idiot who doesn't know what he's doing. I've even found some people I wouldn't mind grouping with on a regular basis. It's too bad they're on another server.

Quoth Kittish View Post
                              It is true that WoW is heavily gear oriented. Having better gear makes a HUGE difference in what you can do. However, the best gear in the game won't make a complete fucktard a good player, there is still and (hopefully) always will be an element of skill involved.
                              I have to agree here. I remember my first attempt at PvP back on a different server. My 62 hunter (along with several others) kept getting used as a mop while trying to defend crossroads from a single alliance (rogue, I think) player in superior gear.

The Gear Score add-on has not helped the problem either. Now, people can be dismissive about inviting you to a group or raid with only a hover of their mouse cursor. It kind of annoys me that people can be that elitist.

Eric the Grey

Comment

Working...
                              X