This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth RayvenQ View Post
    Pluto had me for a second, though we have a habit of naming planets after roman gods, Pluto was actually a Greek Titan.
    Hate to burst your bubble, but Pluto was the Roman name for Hades, God of the Underworld.

I thought that my memory might be failing me as it so often does, and that there may have also been a Titan named Pluto, but my brief net research indicates that there was no Titan so named.

The original twelve Titans were Oceanos, Coeus, Crius, Hyperion, Iapetos, Theia, Rhea, Themis, Mnemosyne, Phoebe, Tethys, and Kronos. Their children are also referred to as Titans, but none of them were named Pluto either: Helios, Eos, Selene, Leto, Asteria, Prometheus, Epimetheus, Atlas, and Menoetius.

So the planet Pluto was, in fact, named for a Roman God, and not a Greek Titan.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Rayven, Jester...

That was awesome..Lol.

And I thought I was a mythology geek.

Comment

I'm not going to lie....not all of mine were from memory. Some of them I had never heard of, but I really wanted to fill out the alphabet. Though I did know that Pluto was Hades, not a Titan, I did have to look up the names of the Titans.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

yay mythology! i'm gonna get scorpio and orion tattooed on opposite legs. if the two ever meet, like in the myth, it'll be the end of my world cuz for that to happen...i'd have to be dead.

but getting back on subject!

The Boy and i went to the same highschool. apparently, we hung out at the same place at school and had a bunch of the same friends. but didn't meet until the last two weeks of our senior year. stuff happened and we lost contact, he got married, joined the navy, got a divorce, blah blah blah...four years later he messages me on myspace asking if i'm the same megan he knew in highschool...and we've been together ever since. awww...
          If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
          ^_^

Comment

Apparently, my husband and I use to just miss each other at parties. My mother and her husband use to throw parties all the time or go to parties. I would either be at their parties or go with them when I was out visiting. My husband was friends with my mother and her husband and was in the same circle of friends, so was always at the same parties.

My husband would have just left before I got there or he would show up right after I left. He would hear my mother and her husband talk about me, but never really thought much of it. The closest I came to knowing about him before we actually met was seeing his phone number on the desk of my mother's husband.

It shocked everyone when we got together and nobody thought it would last, bets were taken on how soon we would break up. No one was shy about letting us know that they knew for a fact we would never last. Meanwhile, we have been married going on 19 years and those people except for my mother and her husband have all divorced.
            Do not annoy the woman with the flamethrower!

If you don't like it, I believe you can go to hell! ~Trinity from The Matrix

Yes, MadMike does live under my couch.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Hate to burst your bubble
              Pluto being a Titaness, Daughter of Cronus and Rhea (Daughter of Uranus and Gaea, Sister/Wife of Cronus) Mother of Tantalus by Zeus.

The Romans may have called Hades Pluto, but there was a Greek Goddess called Pluto also.

The confusion can arise from the fact that the Ancient Romans, especially the military, worshipped pretty much anything, especially the gods of a country they were stationed in, just to be on the safe side.

So no bubble bursting at all really

Quoth Amina516 View Post

And I thought I was a mythology geek.
              I'm not much of a Mythology geek really, I've just been actively and passively researching it for at least 10 years or more now. Greek/Norse/Egyptian are my favourite areas but I've dabbled in a bit of everything.
              Last edited by Ree; 01-12-2010, 09:43 PM. Reason: Trimming excessive quoting
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Working...
              X