This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanna know what I find interesting???

About three months ago the National Weather Service was forecasting a warmer and mild winter.

The Farmer's Almanac predicted EXACTLY the opposite and said we were gonna have a frigid winter. Gee, who hit the nail on the head???

NOTE: .........The Farmer’s Almanac predicted that this “winter will be colder than normal” and that “the coldest periods will occur in early to mid-December, early- to mid-January, and early- to mid-February.”

http://www.tidewaternews.com/news/20...rigid-weather/
    Last edited by ditchdj; 01-06-2010, 04:23 PM.

Comment

See? Too much in Ohio, not enough in Georgia. May we borrow about a foot, please?
      Oh heck, you can have all 3 1/2 ft (got a 1/2 ft last night)

I'm sure there's more where that came from (Lake Erie & Lake Huron, Lake Effect snow)

Comment

wanna know how I knew that this winter was going to be cold and miserable....

back in JULY my furchild's fur started growing in really thick and heavy...

The fuzzy catapillars were almost solid black, rather then brown.

Animals are my normal weather people...not those quacks in the weather departments.
        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

21F

Yeah, I knew from nothing else than how low the summer temps were here.

On the bright side it warmed up enough to snow more...
          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314
          HellGate: London

Comment

It's snowing here...and there's already a couple of feet piled up from the snow received around Christmas. It's supposed to break freezing this weekend, so maybe some of it will start to melt - here's hoping! (I'm very very very glad I got snow boots for Christmas!)

Re: Farmer's Almanac - Growing up I had a neighbor very good at using the Almanac, reading moon signs, predicting weather, etc. It can be very accurate! (She also correctly predicted my sister's and my date of birth and told my mom when we could be weaned without issue.)
            "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Re: Farmer's Almanac - Growing up I had a neighbor very good at using the Almanac, reading moon signs, predicting weather, etc. It can be very accurate! (She also correctly predicted my sister's and my date of birth and told my mom when we could be weaned without issue.)
              NO SHIT!!!!

Click on the article below....

http://www.semissourian.com/blogs/sanders/entry/29747/

And when was this article written???? Way back in September! I'm really shocked at how much more correct the Almanac is! They were DEAD ON on the cold weather and the massive amounts of snow we'd get. What's interesting is that the people who write the Almanac say they have their own way to predict the weather and won't reveal how they do it.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                Right now, 30F and sunny. We're supposed to be up to 38 and down to 17; the upcoming week's forcast is about the same, and the past week it only didn't freeze one night. I know that's warm for many of y'all, but I don't remember it staying this cold this long around here in probably three or four years. since 1989.

So why can't it SNOW? We only ever get snow once a year decade as it is, rarely more than half an inch or two. Which is wonderful, in that it's not around long enough to hate.
                What HY said, with editing.

I knew there was some reason I did not shave the foster Pomeranians last month!
                Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

A bit chilly down here in the Keys. Been down into the 50s and and high 40s, with the wind making it rather cold for this place.

And no, that is not cold for most of you. But there are a few things to remember.

1. For most of us who live down here, this IS cold.

2. A lot of bars either have open air sections or are fully open air. A lot of my coworkers who were scheduled to work on our roof deck this week have lost a bunch of shifts, since we don't open the deck when it is this cold, since no one wants to sit up there, especially since the wind is much worse up there with less to block it. And my friends who work at fully open air establishments are making very little money, if any. Unlike my coworkers, though, they don't get the day off, as those bars stay open regardless.

3. The tourists all bitch about it, even when they come, as most of them do, from much colder places. No matter how much we remind them that it is much nicer than where they are from and that even we get a "winter," they are pretty much convinced that the Keys are "always supposed to be gorgeous." These are the same people, I might add, that are surprised when it is rainy down here in the tropics, and who bitch about the heat in the summer down here in the tropics. Lather, rinse, do a shot of tequila, repeat.

Add to all this the fact that on my recent road trip to (chilly) northern Florida, I discovered the hard way that the heater on the Jestermobile is pretty much non-functional. And I was sick for that road trip. Yeah, that was less than fun.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

We're still going to be under some chilly deep freeze until about Sunday or Monday, then supposedly it will rebound back to "normal" (teens and 20s).

But that actually worries me. Ever since December when Frosty first dropped trou, ANY time that it "warms up", it only does so for a huge snow storm, then a day or so later, deep freeze again.

So as much as this deep freeze is annoying people, I'm one of those weirdos who would rather it stay and just keep getting random flurries and mini clippers. Because I know that within a few days, once the temps go back to "normal", I'm sure there's a system in there.
                    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

It's cold as hell. We have a winter storm coming in and my apartment isn't very well insulated so it doesn't stay as warm as I would like it to be. With the windchill it's a whopping -5 degrees. I can't complain about being cold though...I'm not wearing a sweater at all so I should probably go change that.

Comment

I'm in NW FL near the coast. It is currently 28 F. There is a slight chance snow predicted for tomorrow. SNOW. IN FLORIDA. In any case, they already are saying that the roads will probably be icy and guess who has to drive home that night? Ugh...I'm actually pretty worried. Never drove on icy roads before. I'm so cold...we haven't had a cold snap like this in years and years. The pool is frozen because the motor seized up in the weather. Though, I wouldn't dare step on it.

Oh yeah. The heater is broken at my workplace. We keep the mall entrance open even though the mall is not opened and they don't keep the heater on in the mall. So it is absolutely freezing downstairs. It was so bad that I bought a fleece pull over to wear because my jacket was too bulky to wear on the floor. We have hardly any heaters left in stock and our heated blankets have all flown off the shelf and people want more but we don't have any!
                        Last edited by Rine; 01-07-2010, 04:45 AM.

Comment

9F

The snow is shifting around on the roof- it knocked the exhaust pipe out of the back of the furnace earlier (circa 1930's-40's, still works like a charm). Fortunately, it's easily put back.

I hope it slides off soon because when it shifts it sounds like the roof wants to fall in.
                          Last edited by NightAngel; 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM.
                          "I don't want any part of your crazy cult! I'm already a member of the public library and that's good enough for me, thanks!"

~TechSmith 314

Comment

We're getting a little something now, but I've never seen anything like it. The pieces are so tiny, smaller than salt grains, that I can't tell whether it's sleet or snow. I should have bought an electric blanket in case the heat goes out
                            Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

My doors were frozen shut this morning. Managed to get the driver's door open but none of the other doors opened and I was afraid to force it anymore. Never thought that would happen to me in Florida. Only some sleet apparently came down north of there. It was just cold rain for us. Lots of icy patches on the roads today but thankfully they were mostly isolated to turning lanes. Saw one car spin 180 degrees though when he took a turn lane too quickly.

Wind chill factors will be in the single digits tonight with an overnight low of 17 degrees. Right now it's 32 and wind chill is 20! Brrr. What is worse is the humidity is so low. UGH.

Comment

Quoth Rine View Post
                                My doors were frozen shut this morning.
                                Take some WD-40 (or Pam-type cooking spray if you don't have WD-40) and spray the seals all the way around. Do it now before your door freezes shut again.

~TechSmith 314

Comment

Working...
                                X