This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front loader washer?

My trusty washer is on it's last leg. Well motor, tranny and pump work fine, just the water inlet valves are stuck, so I have to fill it via a piece of garden hose attached to the utility sink faucet.

Ohio has the cash for appliance clunkers program coming up, so perfect time to replace the old washer, right?

I'm thinking of one of those front loader washers.

Anybody have/had one?
    What brand?
    What do you like or hate about it?

I've looked at the consumers website and I still can't figure out what kind I want to get.

there were front-loaders in the laundry room at my rez, and they were good. Whirlpools, I think. They washed a normal load in 45 minutes, cleaned well, took less detergent, and when done, it's easier to pull it out, since you don't have to lift wet laundry UP
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

One of my sisters has one. (I don't know what brand, though). It's awesome. I want one!!!
      Unseen but seeing
      oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
      There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
      3rd shift needs love, too
      RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I had one in Germany and when I replaced my ancient top loader last year I got the same brand front loader, Bosch. Bought a matching set washer dryer. My electric/water/sewage bill dropped dramatically, they are quicker, quieter and use less detergent to clean. I love them!
        "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Cultural differences are fascinating. Pretty much every domestic washing machine over here is a front loader. I think over here it's more likely that they're going to go under counter tops in the kitchen, hence the prevalence.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            I think over here it's more likely that they're going to go under counter tops in the kitchen, hence the prevalence.

Rapscallion
            Yeah. A clothes washer in the kitchen just blows my mind.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Broomjockey--pretty common in some military base housing I've lived in. In fact, one place I lived in the water heater was in the kitchen too. All the large appliances, in one place. We also had two fridges.

...it was a very cramped kitchen.

As for front load washers...never had any. I hear there is a mold problem with some models because of water that gets left behind and whatnot.

Here is a link about it that dates to August 2008. I don't know if they've made any inroads into the mold problem or not.

Comment

Good inroad into the mould problem - 90 degree (celcius) wash every so often. Kills the fucker stone dead.

Rapscallion

Comment

Have the Whirlpool Duet and like it. The mold problem is from using the liquid soaps. There is a reaction with some of the rubbers used in the tub seal, at least that is what I've read.
                  "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

When I worked for the appliance repair company, we found that we got a lot of calls on Whirlpool and Maytag front load washers leaking. I think the problem is usually with the seal. Of course, we only got the calls from people with broken stuff and not from happy satisfied customers. I personally wouldn't put one on a hardwood floor, though.

Comment

Cultural differences are fascinating. Pretty much every domestic washing machine over here is a front loader.
                      I know, I've never even seen a top-loader until we moved to the States.
                      The front loader we had in Germany was a Miele. I found they do sell that brand in the States, but repair places that handle that brand are few and far in between, the same with Bosch. Us living out in the boonies, I want to get a more common american brand, where I can just call the repair place one village over, instead of paying for a 50 mile trip charge.

Hmmm..... maybe I'll stop at the repair place this weekend and chat them up a bit to see what brand they have the least service calls on.

Comment

What a coincidence because I'll be replacing the Roper that came with the house pretty soon with a Front Loading washer. (I already replaced the dryer with a Maytag, best thing I ever did)
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'd love to get a front-loader washer. Less water and soap used, and you can put bigger loads (like bed comforters) in because there's no agitator taking up half the room.

Oh, and Neil Innes wrote a song about one...
                          Last edited by XCashier; 01-08-2010, 12:00 AM.
                          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                          My LiveJournal
                          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I have a front load washer/dryer set that I bought new in 2003 and I love it overall.

I have the Maytag Neptune, which is great as far as water and energy savings go . . . ES (Energy Star) compliant, uses less water and electricity. As much as I use it every week, I'd have to say it paid for itself within 2 years.

Right now, however, I'm not loving it so much. My washer is broke right now and I've been having to go to the laundromat since a week ago Wednesday. It'll probably be the first of Februrary before I can afford to call a serviceperson out to replace the door boot (there's a large chunk missing from it, which in turn is causing it to collapse and it's not safe to use until it's replaced. Apparently some clothes and the door boot part near the bottom of the door became entangled and I didn't see it in time and the rubber tore as I fought to get the clothes out of the washer and into the dryer.)

They're also known for mildew over time as well, which we discovered 5 years ago when we had the door boot replaced the first time (no charge for us, as it was covered under a class action settlement brought against Maytag over the issue.) But if you wipe your door boot down at least once a month with rubbing alcohol and/or use the Afresh cleaner (found at your local grocery store in the laundry detergent section) regularly, this problem will be minimized (or so I've been told.)

Overall, I'd buy another one again due to the water and energy savings, as well as it being easier for me to get clothes out from the front instead of leaning over the top.
                            Last edited by DGoddessChardonnay; 01-09-2010, 10:15 PM.
                            Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

We have a front loader too and i love it. I remember years ago you couldn;t get one and the only place i would see them was in a laundromat.

To combat the mildew and mold is to leave the door open and let it air out. By keeping it closed all the time after a wash is done will just keep the mositure in.
                              "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

Working...
                              X