This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My chest hurts! Advice requested

So, I've returned to Houston in the middle of a freakish winter cold snap. The temp tomorrow is supposed to hit a high of 37F. Today, however, I was walking to the bus stop in about 35F weather after getting off work, when I saw my bus driving up. I started to jog to catch it, and the driver looked at me, before continuing on his way without stopping. I saw him heading to the next stop some feet away, and took off running. The light was red, I thought I could make it. He waited until I got about 20 ft behind him, then drove off. Bastard.

I'm not accustomed to running, it just doesn't feel good on my knees. I also got winded very easily, and this is what concerns me. For about 10-20 minutes after I sat down to wait (in the cold!) for the next bus, I felt like there was a lump in my chest and the back of my throat, and there was also a metallic taste in the back of my throat, like blood. It hurt to breathe in, though exhaling wasn't as bad. Cold air especially hurt, and there was a lot of coughing.

I've been home for several hours by now, and the lump is still kind of there, and whenever I take a deep breath, There's a wheezing noise I make, and the urge to cough is still there. I don't know what this is or how to fix it, so I'm asking the advice of my fellow CSers, especially those from colder climes, who might be familiar with this phenomenon. I've never really run as fast as I did tonight, and I've especially never run in weather this cold.

Can someone tell me what this is, and how to remedy it? It's a little annoying, and I don't like coughing everytime I exhale. I've already soaked in a hot bath, and breathed in some steam, and that helped, a little. But now that the bath is over that niggling little lump is back. I don't want to have to go to the doctor because A: I really don't want to have to visit a clinic the first month of the new year, and B: I have $19 in my account to last me over a week, I can't afford a doctor's visit!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks as always!

I get that sometimes, even here. Normally the feeling goes away by the next day. Until then, your usual remedy of hot tea helps.

If all these fails, try eating something warm (oatmeal is nice) and a couple swallows of decaf coffee. (This sometimes happens to Datajager, I sometimes make him drink regular coffee)

You just over exhorted yourself a little bit. Nothing to worry about, really.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Like I need an excuse to drink hot tea...

btw, I'm bringing a microwave safe bowl and a box of tea to work tomorrow, with a thermal mug, so's I can have my tea fix alllllll day.

First day back on the job, and I need another vacation already. but that's another post... >.>

Comment

I'm still waiting on some sightings posts from your trip back to Houston. You seem to find them everywhere you go.

Spill the beans!

(I posted something cute in work chat)
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'll type it up tomorow. Gotta go to bed. Opening tomorrow. Yay... Which means getting up at ass-thirty in the morning. Double yay. AND I'm going to workout, damn it!

Question. Will vicks vaporub help the chest issue or should I just leave it be?

Comment

Vicks might help. Works for me the few times I use it but sets of Datajager's asthma.

Comment

Yeah, just sounds like a bit of overexertion mixed with weather colder than your body's used to. Steamy showers, hot tea or cider, warm things to eat, and taking it easy are probably your best bets. I've never used vicks, so I can't comment on that, but whenever I get those symptoms from a little too much exertion in cold weather the hot herbal tea remedy works for me.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I used to get that "holy shit it hurts to breath because it's so COLD" feeling living in Wisconsin. And I've had that lump in the chest after running before too. Mine's never bothered me for more than maybe 3-4 hours, at the most, though. Hopefully a good night's sleep helped. Let us know how you're feeling!

Comment

Working...
                X