This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Which Joi Discovers a Classic Show 25 Years Late

I've been trying to watch my way through Stargate: SG-1 while the whole thing is free on Hulu. I mostly liked it up through season 8 (though 6-8 were not good) because I just like those characters. But starting in season 9, Jack O'Neill was gone from SG:1, and the show is boooooooring.

So to get my Richard Dean Anderson fix, I started watching MacGyver (incidentally, HUZZAH for old tv shows online!)

I have decided that I like the show. A LOT. Is it cheesy and totally '80's? Yep. Doesn't matter--I'm still having fun.

(and I might just have a minor crush on good ol' RDA... )
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

MacGuyver is a blast, I remember watching it the first time around. You need to check for the various mythbuster shows where they give the MacGuyver tricks a shot

Honestly, I don't see what good TV snobbery does, in the grand scheme of things does it really matter if all you watch is Masterpiece Theater, BBC News and the Olympics, or mudwrestling, MacGuyver and Charlies Angels?
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I have seen one of those Mythbuster episodes, pretty fun stuff.

I don't get TV snobbery, either. If it's a fun show, it's a fun show! And so far, MacGyver is a heck of a lot of fun.
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Heh. I've got all of MacGyver on DVD. And I have to say, MacGyver doesn't fall in to the "TV Snobbery" section. It's a show about a guy who never uses a gun. He never kills anyone (though sometimes others get themselves killed), and he's brilliant at solving problems with what's at hand. My only issue is towards the end of the series, it basically becomes "I've improvised an explosive to distract and disable the bad guys."
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
          I've been trying to watch my way through Stargate: SG-1 while the whole thing is free on Hulu. I mostly liked it up through season 8 (though 6-8 were not good) because I just like those characters. But starting in season 9, Jack O'Neill was gone from SG:1, and the show is boooooooring.
          Yeah, the Ori were a well written little group of villainy ( though it starts treating them with more camp as it goes on. Which really undermines their initial bad ass factor ), but its not the same without Jack and Mitch is complete dead weight. Vala and Daniel become the only saving graces and practically carry the show from there on. But then the show wasn't suppose to have a season 8, 9 or 10 to begin with so its forgivable.

But without Claudia Black it would be pretty bland.

I honestly fell off the SG-1 bandwagon on the last DVD when I curiously popped in the first season of Atlantis. To be completely honest I prefer Atlantis, it's a superior show to the latter seasons of SG-1. Don't get me wrong SG-1 is great and it was a fun ride but as it went on you'd get more and more comedy episodes or recycled plot point episodes ( Multiple reality episodes being one of the big offenders ), which are just not the same without Jack ( Who would make fun of cliches, hehe ) on the team and Vala comes in too late in the series to save it entirely.

Atlantis on the other hand manages to dial down the camp, ramp up the seriousness but still maintain the comedy. Plus it has the greatest character in the SG universe with Rodney. <3

Comment

Quoth Gravekeeper View Post
            Plus it has the greatest character in the SG universe EVER with Rodney. <3
            Changed to reflect my personal opinion.

Comment

LOL! I've only seen a few eps of Atlantis, but Rodney was the reason I wanted to see more. He cracked me up.

Comment

there's one episode of SG1 where i think Sam says to Jack "Just MacGyver something!"
                the look on his face is priceless. i'm thinking it was an ad-libbed line that they kept cuz it was so funny
                If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
                ^_^

Comment

Quoth Green_Fairy View Post
                  there's one episode of SG1 where i think Sam says to Jack "Just MacGyver something!"
                  the look on his face is priceless. i'm thinking it was an ad-libbed line that they kept cuz it was so funny
                  Yeah, it was an outtake too when she first dropped it on him.

Here
                  it is.

Comment

Yeah, it was an outtake too when she first dropped it on him.
                    No, a different one. In the pilot, or second episode, I believe, Sam casually says "We'll just MacGyver something." It's while they're in the gate room.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      No, a different one. In the pilot, or second episode, I believe, Sam casually says "We'll just MacGyver something." It's while they're in the gate room.
                      Ahh, forgive me, that was 50 DVDs ago. >.> ehe

Comment

You know, that's something you really gotta give Richard Dean Anderson props for. Most TV actors are lucky if they land a starring role in a major series, and even fewer get a truly memorable iconic character--those that do usually end up type-casted forever afterward. RDA has created two iconic characters, for two highly successful series. That's pretty rare.

And both characters are fun to watch.

Comment

I remember McGuyver because my brother thought he was McGuyver. He can still make something out of nothing. I get a kick out of the SNL parodies. Does anyone remember Sledgehammer? "Trust me. I know what I'm doing."
                          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Aaah, I still have a crush on RDA. I know my mom calls him her studmuffin. It was the only reason she would watch SG-1 with us sometimes.

And yeah...I freaked when they said they were putting Rodney into SGA. I loved him the few times he was on SG-1. I miss SGA so much...

Comment

Ahh, forgive me, that was 50 DVDs ago. >.> ehe
                              No excuses! If I can remember it, you should be able to! Not like I've watched the series in the past 4 months.

Comment

Working...
                              X