This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I really don't like "creative papers"

...So we are writing a Creative Non-Fiction piece for my 201 English class. It's a 4 page min. Which I breezed though. I forgot that it had to be double spaced... so I typed up this paper I was really happy with... then went "crap...double space"

....And it ended up being 18 pages long....>< I managed to trim out some stuff and get it down to about 16 pages. But everything else I feel is truly VITAL for the function of the paper. I just hate that it is so grossly long. It makes me feel like she is going to take one look at it and just roll her eyes. I mean, I even left out loads of details I wanted to put in... after all it's supposed to be written like a story, with lots of descriptive words and crap. *sigh*

Oh well... I've trimmed it down as far as I can... I just am not happy now. It isn't as descriptive as I wanted it... but if I make it longer I am unhappy about the length.
    "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
    -Red

I know how you feel. I'm very verbose in my writing, too.

If it makes you feel better, back in high school we had a creative writing assignment with a minimum of 2 pages. I turned in just a wee bit under 34 pages.

Oops?

I got a 98. 2 points off for being too long.

Comment

I'd take off a heck of a lot more than 2 points. Did your teacher give you a maximum number of pages? Because part of good writing is being concise. It took me a long time to master that skill, but I'm so glad I did. Also, yes, your teacher who was expecting a 4 page paper will be more than slightly annoyed at having to grade an 18 page paper.

I'm also confused as to how a 4 page paper single-spaced magically became 18 pages double-spaced.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

The minimum was 4 pages, she encourages us to write longer papers than 4. So mine ended up being about 8-9 I believe. Which isn't a bad length for a paper... until you double space it. I realize I did not stick that in my previous post, I apologize. 4 pages didn't 'magically' become 18. 8-9 pages, plus a works cited became 18.
        I'm also normally very good about papers. Give me a research paper and give me a minimum of 4 pages, the most I will type is 5. But with this paper she wanted creative writing, telling a story with vivid detail and LOTS of descriptive language. If I pulled it down it it's bare bones I would probably have about 6-7 pages.... and then I would fail the paper because there would be 0 description beyond 'I walked across the room' This is honestly the first time I have ever had a problem with making a paper turn out as long as I want it.
        Last edited by Red_Dazes; 01-19-2010, 02:52 PM.
        "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
        -Red

Comment

Quoth Red_Dazes View Post
          The minimum was 4 pages, she encourages us to write longer papers than 4. So mine ended up being about 8-9 I believe. Which isn't a bad length for a paper... until you double space it.
          Okay, that makes more sense. One thing I always do, is before I actually start writing a paper, I get out the instructions listing the format requirements. Go ahead and set the margins, font, spacing, etc. Then I write.

Comment

Heh. I don't think I met the minimum requirement for length once in my entire program. And yet I never got marks off. You ever need a paper shortened, lemme at it. I'll hack that sucker down to size!
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
              I get out the instructions listing the format requirements. Go ahead and set the margins, font, spacing, etc. Then I write.
              that's one of the biggest problems I have. I can't seem to write when the lines are double spaced... my brain loses track of what I am saying, so I end up having to write single spaced and then spread it out >< I've struggled with it for YEARS and can't figure out why my head does that. But you can see the difference in my work. all my A-B papers are when I wrote it single spaced and then doubled it when I was done... and all my C-D papers are when I tried it double spaced. Really pisses me off some times.
              -Red

Comment

Hm...don't know what to tell you. Although, I will say that I had an 'oopsie' moment last semester. I had just gotten Office 2007 and still wasn't used to the format issues. I had changed the font to Times New Roman. I was typing and typing, but I just wasn't hitting the page length that I thought I should be. I checked...and the font size was still at 11. I moved it to 12 and I gained an extra page! It was very exciting. I told the professor, and she said she occasionally does that on purpose to help break writer's block.

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                  I had changed the font to Times New Roman. I was typing and typing, but I just wasn't hitting the page length that I thought I should be. I checked...and the font size was still at 11. I moved it to 12 and I gained an extra page! It was very exciting. I told the professor, and she said she occasionally does that on purpose to help break writer's block.
                  Hehe, I do that alot, cause for my personal writing I like 10 size. So I am constantly resetting my computer settings for papers.
                  -Red

Comment

So I am constantly resetting my computer settings for papers.
                    You might want to try setting up a template then. If your classes have different requirements, you can set up one for each class. Any word processor should be able to make a template, but the process can differ, so I won't bother explaining how right now. But I did that, since my classes all had the same. Set it up once, then just open the template, and margins, font, font size, spacing is all set up for you.

Comment

If you like, I'd be happy to read your paper and give any pointers/comments. I'm recovering from being in hospital, so I've got plenty of time on my hands right now. I graduated cum laude in English from Duke, so I sort of know what I'm doing, in theory, anyway.
                      Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                        You might want to try setting up a template then..

That is an absolutely wonderful idea... I can't believe I didn't even consider that one. >< Wow. Time to do that...definitely.

Quoth 42_42_42 View Post
                        If you like, I'd be happy to read your paper and give any pointers/comments. I'm recovering from being in hospital, so I've got plenty of time on my hands right now. I graduated cum laude in English from Duke, so I sort of know what I'm doing, in theory, anyway.
                        I'd be happy to share the MONSTER with you if you'd like. It's due tomorrow though, so I don't know how much time I can really spend making lots of changes. At this point I have to settle with being happy with it and hope my teacher isn't too unimpressed by the length. I did manage to cut another page off of it today though, by structuring some paragraphs in a fun way.
                        -Red

Comment

Oh, okay. Next time you need a paper proofread or edited, let me know.
                          Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

That is an absolutely wonderful idea... I can't believe I didn't even consider that one.
                            Heh, don't feel too bad. I only thought about it because it's part of my job. Being an editorial assistant's fun, really.

Comment

^_^ Actually it does sound like alot of fun... except... you know, the crazies and stuff...Hehe. I was actually considering going into Editing as a career. But I'm just not sure I could do it... I can pick apart a plot and tell you how to make it stronger... but I can almost guarantee I couldn't catch half of the spelling or grammar mistakes in anything. I read way to fast. So I'm thinking about teaching creative writing instead.
                              -Red

Comment

Working...
                              X