This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News, some good, some bad...

Sorry I haven't posted as much; I've had nothing as far as stories and I've been really busy - I'll explain in this post.

First, the good: I've completed my Associate degree, and I got a new job as a student tutor while I go for my Bachelor's. It's not much as far as pay, but I'm getting consistent hours and I get paid more than my old job. I still get hours at my old job when they need me, also, so financially things are looking better. We're finally able to work on catching up on bills, from the smallest on up.

Now the bad, in order of severity - starting this semester, they've increased the workload. Now, they want a writing assignment for every class every week. I can handle it, but it means less time for other things, like posting. I still find time to come here every day, though.

I just found out while working at the old job that the owner was looking to open a satellite store with one of his business contacts, and to get someone to do house calls. He could have re-hired me to do that, or be the store tech at either the main or the satellite location, but now he'd have to raise my pay rate and hours for me to consider it. Oh, well, if it comes up we'll discuss it and go from there.

The worst, however, is that my uncle has MS, and is in the latter stages. From what my mother told me, it looks like that he will pass in the coming weeks, if not days. My mother is helping him out with my uncle's wife and daughter at his home. What hurts is the distance - I'm about 85 miles away from them, and with the increased workload from work and college, I can't immediately go over. My mom sounded really tired over the phone when I last spoke to her. I'll know more when I talk to her next weekend, unless something happens.

Now, to go do more research for a presentation this Saturday, construct an outline for a final project, and more writing...ugh. I know that after this semester I really want to take a break, maybe a family vacation. I'm just getting mentally tired and need time off. I just need to get through the next 8 weeks.

Finally have time for a reply...

My uncle passed a couple of nights ago. My wife let me know after work on Friday. Memorial scheduled for the summer - he donated his body for scientific research, so the family decided to have it during warmer times, and when all the family can attend (all his brothers live in different states).

Then, my Monday class is driving me . You would think that if you do a rough draft of something, you would get feedback on what needed to be corrected. You would also assume that you would get some instruction on constructing an outline for a final project, especially if the topic is on something you have little or no experience with..not this class.

A classmate e-mailed him on these subjects, and his response was to review the book. OK, then, I'm going to only make the changes I think I need to make, and construct a basic outline. If he doesn't like it, well, I'm just going on his feedback.

I'll do that, I have to write a short paper for my Tuesday class, I have an issue with my computer (explorer.exe runs at 50% after Windows power settings turn the monitor off) and I need to talk to my mom and see is she's OK.

Comment

I am sorry for your loss.

Perhaps as far as the professor, you could go to your adviser? I've done that when I had an unresponsive professor when I had asked for help. It wasn't to tattle, but out of frustration, my adviser went to bat for me.
      Everything is great when you're a kid, then you grow up and suddenly you're afraid of the monkey bars...

Comment

I'm sorry your Uncle has passed. Let's hope your paper works out well and that your computer behaves.
        Do a virus scan/malware scan and update your patches. And eat chocolate. It's good for you.

Cutenoob
        In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
        She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Sorry for your loss, Rich.

Mike
          Meow.........

Comment

Quoth lush View Post
            Perhaps as far as the professor, you could go to your adviser? I've done that when I had an unresponsive professor when I had asked for help. It wasn't to tattle, but out of frustration, my adviser went to bat for me.
            I know my dean pretty well - one advantage when you keep up your grade point average - and I plan to talk to her. First, I want to get with the instructor tonight with some of the other class to express our concerns.

And, thank you for your condolences. I got to talk with my mom yesterday. She still sounded tired - she just got back to their home up north, and she said that she was going to take a few days and just relax and think about some things.

I wish that I had pictures of the custom trikes he built for my dad - one, the front was half Harley frame, the other half was the back of a VW Beetle. It used the Beetle's running gear, so the shifter was under the gas tank on the Harley frame, where the V-Twin would be. I don't know how my dad could ride the thing, but he did. Thank goodness the seatbelts were still on the Beetle's back seat.

The other was more elegant - based on a Honda 1100 Four, with a custom fiberglass frame, all black and chrome with gold pinstriping. Very nice bike.

Comment

Working...
            X