Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speculation! Why is the Simpson's dog a greyhound?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speculation! Why is the Simpson's dog a greyhound?

I haven't been able to find an answer so I'm assuming it was never officially disclosed.

Why is the Simpson's dog a greyhound?

I can think of three main reasons:

1) Homer's personality would make him easy to fall into a gambling scheme and this brought him to the dog track (hence the first episode, "Simpson's Roasting on an Open Fire" where he does get the dog)

2) To help bring awareness to greyhounds and greyhound rescue (which would also make #1 plausible).

3) Matt Groening had greyhounds earlier (or currently at the time) and was in love with the breed (how can you not?).

There are many ways they could have gotten a dog. One in the street licking Homer's face while he was passed out drunk, at a shelter, even a puppy store so the way it happened wasn't the only way it could have happened.

Thoughts?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

I thought it was obvious in the episode where they got the dog. SLH was going to be killed for not being a good race dog, and Bart prevailed upon Homer to adopt SLH to prevent this.

If this episode, or any others about SLH, bring attention to the plight of greyhounds, who are often raced and then disposed of like trash, so much the better. This very plight came to light many years ago in Phoenix, which has a prominent greyhound racetrack, and due to that, Phoenix now has one of the best greyhound adoption programs in the country.

It should be noted that greyhound make great pets, being fairly docile and very affectionate. The one thing anyone should know if they own a greyhound is that not only do they need to be walked, but they need to be allowed to RUN, as that is what they are built to do. At least once or twice a day, a greyhound should be allowed to do this, to get the exercise that comes so naturally to it. The problem with this, of course, is that none of us can run as fast as a greyhound. And of course, if a greyhound who is not well-trained gets loose, good luck catching it!

Anyone interested in adopting a great dog, please look into greyhounds. While they have their issues, they are certainly wonderful dogs, and I would argue that their pros outweigh their cons.

(I was educated about much of the above information regarding greyhounds by my little sister, who works with dogs, and by educating people about dogs, for a living.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

SLH was introduced in Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire, the first Simpsons episode since the Tracy Ullman shorts. According to the commentary on Season 1, the Matt Groening, the writers and the producers were all surprised to learn that Greyhound rescue was a real thing after the show aired. It was just a natural progression from Homer needing money, going to the dog track and betting on a loser. The loser gets kicked out and goes to the first person it sees: Homer.
      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I thought it was obvious in the episode where they got the dog. SLH was going to be killed for not being a good race dog, and Bart prevailed upon Homer to adopt SLH to prevent this.
        It doesn't look like he is going to be killed - just chased off / abandoned (he was throwing rocks near the dog to scare it off).

If this episode, or any others about SLH, bring attention to the plight of greyhounds, who are often raced and then disposed of like trash, so much the better. This very plight came to light many years ago in Phoenix, which has a prominent greyhound racetrack, and due to that, Phoenix now has one of the best greyhound adoption programs in the country.

It should be noted that greyhound make great pets, being fairly docile and very affectionate. The one thing anyone should know if they own a greyhound is that not only do they need to be walked, but they need to be allowed to RUN, as that is what they are built to do. At least once or twice a day, a greyhound should be allowed to do this, to get the exercise that comes so naturally to it. The problem with this, of course, is that none of us can run as fast as a greyhound. And of course, if a greyhound who is not well-trained gets loose, good luck catching it!

Anyone interested in adopting a great dog, please look into greyhounds. While they have their issues, they are certainly wonderful dogs, and I would argue that their pros outweigh their cons.

(I was educated about much of the above information regarding greyhounds by my little sister, who works with dogs, and by educating people about dogs, for a living.)
        I agree, my wife's grandfather had two rescues and they were wonderful pets. Affectionate, loving, and very sweet.

Quoth Nurian View Post
        SLH was introduced in Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire, the first Simpsons episode since the Tracy Ullman shorts. According to the commentary on Season 1, the Matt Groening, the writers and the producers were all surprised to learn that Greyhound rescue was a real thing after the show aired. It was just a natural progression from Homer needing money, going to the dog track and betting on a loser. The loser gets kicked out and goes to the first person it sees: Homer.
        Then that throws out the rescue thought.
        Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Yes, I'm one of those nerds they talk about on the commentary.....because I listen to the commentary :P
          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

No comment on the Simpsons (since I don't watch it on any regular basis), but last year around Father's Day I went into the bookstore and they had volunteers doing gift wrapping. The group that was there that day was a greyhound rescue group and they had 3 dogs with them. They were the sweetest, most calm animals. I petted the one and she just leaned right into my legs.

I did learn that most rescued racing dogs won't sit, because when they are in the gates before the race, the floor is apparently electrified so if they sit down they get a shock. So even after they are retired they will only stand (or lie down to sleep).

I'm not a "big dog" person (I've only ever had small dogs) but if I had the space for them to run I would consider a greyhound rescue.
            Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 01-30-2010, 04:44 PM.
            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The Greyhound park outside of Wichita closed a few years ago. I worked with a girl when I was at T-Mobile who's husband worked at the track and said the dogs were very well taken care of.

When the track closed, there was concern that they were all going to be killed, but the state adopted them. When I started at the prison, I found out that that all of them were there. There is a program where inmates can complete a Care Dog training course and train assist-dogs (just the basic commands, then they are sent to a place that does the full-fledged care dog training). The greyhounds were sort of shoehorned in to this program, allowing some dog handlers to have the greyhounds as pets. They live in their cells and the inmates who keep them genuinely love the dogs and take excellent care of them. It's always fun when I work in that cellhouse when I'm sitting at the desk and get nudged by one of the greyhounds.
              "You are loved" - Plaidman.

Comment

That's awesome, Kara.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Kara, we need more stories of this cuteness.

I had a coworker who had greyhounds. One was 14 when she died, according to what I've read very very old for a greyhound.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                    It should be noted that greyhound make great pets, being fairly docile and very affectionate.
                    Quoted for truth.

Although I've only had personal experience with one Greyhound, belonging to some friends of D's, he is one of the most lovable animals I've ever met.

I'm more of a cat person that a dog person. When it comes to dogs, I like big ones as opposed to small dogs. When we have a house with a yard for the thing to run in, we fully plan to have a dog, and adopting a Greyhound is not a bad idea, IMO.

Eric the Grey
                    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Eric the Grey View Post
                      ...adopting a Greyhound is not a bad idea...
                      Certainly not, and I started a new thread about just such a thing, as I don't really want to threadjack.

Back to the OP....anyone else have theories on why Groenig made SLH a greyhound, beyond just the "Homer needed to gamble" angle?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Maybe cuz they wanted the dog to have the Santa's Little Helper name, to keep in with the Christmas theme, and making it a greyhound was the only way of doing so?
                        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
                        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          Certainly not, and I started a new thread about just such a thing, as I don't really want to threadjack.
                          I think its to late for that. I don't mind - they are great dogs and are probabaly one of the best "pet" dogs out there. They're not loud, many times a retired dog isn't as energetic as one that isn't, they don't shed they're very sweet and affectionate, they can get some basic obedience training (don't expect to be winning titles left and right but many can get a hang of the basics - sit, stay, recall, crate, etc..).

Quoth Lace Neil Singer View Post
                          Maybe cuz they wanted the dog to have the Santa's Little Helper name, to keep in with the Christmas theme, and making it a greyhound was the only way of doing so?
                          This seems to be the best reason - it's also typical of Homer to end up at a dog track (unsuccessfully) trying to win money for his family (or in a drunken stupor).
                          Quote Dalesys:

Comment

I don't see how being a greyhound has anything to do with the Christmas theme.....?

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              I don't see how being a greyhound has anything to do with the Christmas theme.....?
                              It's not outside of Homer's character to be a Santa Clause at a mall to make money to buy his family Christmas presents (after getting stiffed at work), right?

It's also not out of his character to get stiffed with pay for being the Santa and then following his friends to a dog track to bet his money to win more.

This is one question I'd love to ask Matt Groening, though.

Plus, the Canine Mutiny was good, too (where Bart bought a fully trained collie).
                              Quote Dalesys:

Comment

Working...
                              X