This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampire Diaries, any good?

Vampire Diaries starts on tv over here this week. Is it any good?

I read the books many, many years ago, back when I consumed anything vampire related. They were very readable, if teen-ish. I can't remember much about them other than the basic premise.
    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

I personally didn't enjoy it at all, but TTO thinks it's the shizness, if that helps?
    The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I never read the books, but I find the show pretty good. It's on at 8 pm here, so that limits the blood and gore, but doesn't stop it. The characters are getting more rounded as time goes on, and the writing is fairly intelligent.

I have heard that the show uses the books as a jumping off point, that it doesn't really follow the stories.
      Labor boards have info on local laws for free
      HR believes the first person in the door
      Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
      Document everything
      CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Haven't seen the show yet, but my sister has and read the books so now I'm getting pulled into it. I don't really mind I like vampire stuff, but in my opinion there isn't enough werewolf fiction or shows.
        ......../\
        ....../__\
        ..../\...../\
        ../__\../__\

Comment

I've seen the show and it's an overdramatic yawn-fest. But then again, I don't like the vampire thing.
          "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

I watched the first episode and thought it was OK. I continued to watch it and now I really like it. I bought the books but find them boring.

Comment

I'm a stickler for getting details right (I'm a very avid book reader) and this whole thing of taking popular series and turning them into movies/tv shows really makes me twitch. /end personal preferences

As for the Vamp. Diaries tv show, I LOVE the original four books.. one of my absolute favorite series growing up. I still reread them now and then but I know them by heart. I bought and read the new book recently and .. it's decent, but not as good. I think the author just came up with more similar stuff so that the tv show can continue past what she had already written. Not a horrible book, but not as good as the first four.

I saw 10 minutes of the first episode of the tv show, somewhere in the start or middle... saw about 6-7 glaring differences in the attitudes/details/plot between the books and show, and said "nuh uh, not watching it". Same went for Dresden Files. Guh.

So, if you really like detail and hate strong artistic license if you want it as good as the books... you might not like it. Or just take it as it is, a tv show, and not based off the books.

But if you don't care about that, have at. It's probably good otherwise. ^_^

*end pre-work rant, venting some stress into a favorite topic* Rawr...
              Confirmed altoholic.

Comment

Working...
              X