This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good with electronics, what to study?

I've been toying with the idea of going back to school. Life sucks for the unemployed when you have no degree or higher education of any kind.

I'm good with electronic things. I have a knack for them. Taking them apart, fixing them, connecting the wires, etc....even with no real training there's a number of things I can do to a computer, for example.

But I find it confusing when you look at the programs a school offers and I have no idea what they are. If I was going to study something like that in a college or tech school, what would the major be called?

I majored in Electronical Engineering (for a semester) in college and alot of it was hands-on circuity.

Also, as a computer hardware major (officially) there was a lot of hands-on with electronics to (digital ICs, wiring, making BUSses, FOX trainers etc..). It is a lot of fun (for me at leasy - I love those electronic kits for kids).

If you're good with PCs you might want to look into certifications (they can help). If you really want to go for it all - get your CCNA and you'll be worth a lot. Everyone is going towards web programming and MCSE but CCNAs aren't too common.

If you're really good, go to an electronics supply store and buy components and invent something (years ago I designed a hand-held speakerphone for cell phones - 6 months before bluetooth became widespread).
    Last edited by draggar; 02-06-2010, 01:07 AM.
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

You'd actually have to look @ the classes IN THE MAJOR. Schools don't really have a consistent naming scheme.

You'd be good at looking for Electrical Engineer, Computer Hardware Technician, and possibly Network Administration (depending on how PC-computery you want to get).

If you feel comfortable with electricity in general, start with your local IBEW. Not kidding. There may be a shortage of electrical people around - especially with so many of them getting older. Start with IBEW - ask one of the union reps if they've got time to chat.

Then next, go to 2 or 3 local community TECHNICAL colleges around you and make an APPOINTMENT (yes I'm yelling) for the educational advisors. You can't just walk in - they are so cram jammed it's not funny.

I'd also hit up the unemployment office. Make another appointment with the front desk - tell them what specifically you're seeking - Lookign for electronic/ technical field education, hands on, how far you want to go with PCs vs circuits ...and ask about all the special programs they've got now. Due to the recession, there's more money for training than people expect.

Oh.
      Biotech. A relly of mine works at a hospital and fixes things for them. The EEG/ EKG machines? Tunes them up. That's another place you could go talk to/ work at - always need someone who's good with hardware and hands - and healthcare never dies.

Cutenoob
      In my heart, in my soul, I'm a woman for rock & roll.
      She's as fast as slugs on barbituates.

Comment

Quoth Cutenoob View Post
        Oh.
        Biotech.

just a nitpick-biotech(biological technology) is what I do, in lab, with petri dishes and test tubes....
        Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Maybe look at something that allows you to create battery operated boyfriends?

Seems to be quite a popular suggestion in the Life Advice section.

Rapscallion

Comment

You could get your A+ certification it would be alot shorter and cheaper.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

http://www.openbookproject.net/electricCircuits/

Read through these carefully.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                You could get your A+ certification it would be alot shorter and cheaper.
                DataJager did this before returning to college to finish his CS (Computer Science) Major at tech. He says he has helped him understand CS a LOT better.

Most my friends are either electrical or mechanical engineers. (The latter lets you blow up stuff!)
                Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

OK...in terms of electronics and computers...

Don't know how much different it'll be as far as Ausland goes, but this is a rough list of degrees and/or qualifications my friends and SO are either studying or have studied:

A+ certification.
                  Electrical Engineering.
                  Software Engineering
                  Computer Science
                  Information Technology
                  CISCO Networking. (don't know if that's available in the US)
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Electrical Engineering would be a good choice if you are good in math. One of the pre-requisites would be Calculus (through differential equations I believe). So if you are not strong with math, I would not advise it. If you are not good with math, there is nothing wrong with trade school and a good electrician can probably make some pretty good money.

Comment

Quoth mikoyan29 View Post
                      If you are not good with math, there is nothing wrong with trade school and a good electrician can probably make some pretty good money.
                      Electricians can make great money. My uncle is one, and he makes enough to afford to live near New York City and his wife was able to stay at home and raise the kids. He also loves his job, which is worth much more than money.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                        Electricians can make great money. My uncle is one, and he makes enough to afford to live near New York City and his wife was able to stay at home and raise the kids. He also loves his job, which is worth much more than money.
                        That's why I don't get the stigma attached with people who end up in trade school or in an apprenticeship. Decent Plumbers make really good money because people always need them. Same with electricians, carpenters, etc. Heck, I've run across tool and die makers who are more intelligent than many engineers (degreed) I know.

Comment

Eh, I was an electrician for 6 years. I do admit, the money is good, the work is pretty darned easy. But it wasn't for me. (I dislike being electrocuted)

Being a carpenter is nice too. Dad, up until the economy tanked, make and upwards of $35 an hour. More if he worked weekends.

HOWEVER, the economy still hasn't improved enough to warrant such a trade. And you don't really go to a school for this. You get hired on at a construction company and learn from your coworkers.
                          Last edited by Evil Queen; 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM.
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Working...
                          X