This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is art? Ranty

im taking an art history class right now and i have to write a paper (which i really dont understand im really confused on it) about the books the Prince, the courtier, what we've learned from the main book, what we learned from another book and an artist of our choice.

as im looking through book trying to find an artist i like enough to write about and feel frustrated because i like pieces from some artist, and there is only two artist i really like in the whole book, Donatello and Van Gogh, either one i would really be ok with doing.

but the problem is when i think about artest i love i think of David Mack.
    But he is one artist i can't do.
    Because he is a comic book artist.

now i dont want to really debate the merit of comic book artist but in America comics even in the recent enlightenment of the media are considered lesser art forms.
    In some other countries they are considered real artist.

But honestly how is this or this or this any less a piece of art than Donatello's David, van Gogh's works or any other great work

ill probably do Odilon Redon because his works have very graphic and emotional impact, or van gogh for his use of color to convey emotion and mood
    Last edited by Sliceanddice; 02-09-2010, 08:49 PM.

Any kind of real discussion about this is probably best left for Fratching.

So, if anyone wants a fun conversation about comic book artists and what "real" art is, please take it there.
    Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Are you in college or high school??? If the former then did you ask your professor/instructor??? Sounds like you should see if he/she can help clear these issues up for you. If they don't seem to willing then you're getting screwed out of your tuition.

Comment

its college but when i asked when first recieving the assingment she said only artest mentioned in the book that we would study, no one else. and when i look thourgh the book there are pop artest but most of the post WWII are mostly arcitecture. I might be able to weasel being able to do david mack out of my teacher if i beg weekly for the rest of the classes before spring break and refrane from insult machiavelli any more than calling him a ill bred noble with no ability to write.

Comment

After seeing a "art" exhibit featuring piles of rubbish (I mean that literally) a friend and I discussed what is classed as "art".
          During a random moment of insight I commented (think I've got the right word)

"Art is relative to the viewer"

But yeah, only advice I've got is what ditch said, clarify with the teacher.
          "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
          Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I think David Mack's work is lovely. I have an illustration from Kabuki on our bedroom wall, and in the living room we have one of Berni Wrightson's elegant illustrations from Frankenstein, as well as some Frazetta prints.

My very favorite artist is Yoshitaka Amano, whose work has a surreal, unfinished quality that I love. He has also done illustrations for Dracula, The Guin Saga and character designs for most of the Final Fantasy games.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Ehhhh...skirting the obvious debate, if its an art history class it must be about historic art so you might be stuck with it. -.-

Comment

Bottom line is the instructor should be able to accomodate anything reasonably within the guidelines of the assignment without giving you any problems over it.

The objective is you're learning something relevant to the course, right?

Comment

Does it have to be a work of art or artist you like?? Maybe you can just pick a piece or artist you dislike and write what it is about the style of the art/artist you hate about it. Just a thought. Some of my instructors have let me go the "con" route as opposed to the "pro".
                  "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

i have to write a 15 page paper in a dialog between the writers of 3 books, two articles, an artest, and myself like we are having dinner together, then after dinner drinks and a cigar, and then debate what art is and wher eit comes from.

Comment

Just a rogue thought:

Why not look into who Mack's influences were and choose one of them?
                      "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Art is something - anything, really - intended to have an emotional effect on the person experiencing it.

Comment

Working...
                        X