This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YAY FOR FREECYCLE!!!!!!!!!

do you guys have freecycle where you are?

i quite often give things away and get small things in return but what i got today was awesome!!

A couple were downgrading thier house to a smaller place and giving away stuff they couldn't take with them.i saw they had a couple of boxes of books which i look out for as an avid reader.

When i got there, i got chatting with the couple and she sent her husband into the attic to see what else was up there.in the end she gave me nearly 1000 books, i haven't looked into all the crates yet, a couple of hundred cassette tapes, nearly as many 33 records, and a cassette player in case i didn't have a working one.

YAY FOR BOOKS ON FREECYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Wow! They could probably make a nice bit of cash on ebay with a stash like that.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

They said they just couldn't be bothered what with the move and all.

they said they didn't mind if i sold any of it, but on principle, any books i recieve via freecycle, I read then freecycle again so someone else can enjoy them, same with the tapes and records once i've listened to them.

Comment

What records?
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth TelephoneAngel View Post
          do you guys have freecycle where you are?

i quite often give things away and get small things in return but what i got today was awesome!!

A couple were downgrading thier house to a smaller place and giving away stuff they couldn't take with them.i saw they had a couple of boxes of books which i look out for as an avid reader.

When i got there, i got chatting with the couple and she sent her husband into the attic to see what else was up there.in the end she gave me nearly 1000 books, i haven't looked into all the crates yet, a couple of hundred cassette tapes, nearly as many 33 records, and a cassette player in case i didn't have a working one.

YAY FOR BOOKS ON FREECYCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          My roomie is one of the moderators for 2 freecycle groups, and advisor for a third ... we have scored over the past 3 or 4 years:
          a hot tub [in fabulous 70s pink and brown swirly fibreglass]

4 cords of assorted fire wood in mixed hardwood just for showing up with chainsaws and a pickup truck

assorted books, dvds, cds, cassettes, video tapes and vinyl from many sources

a fridge, a stove, a dishwasher [not all at the same time]

a lovely alpaca wool hand knit sweater

and offloaded:
          assorted books, cds, dvds, video tapes and vinyl after listening.reading.dubbing copies onto the hard drive of the computer

said hot tub after buying a replacement this past spring

the old bath tub, and 2 matched unused bathroom sinks in a lovely cobalt blue that we found in the barn

assorted furniture we no longer needed [table and chairs, 2 book cases, a tiki bar that we found in our barn ...]

assorted clothing that was in good condition, just no longer my size including several business suits that I no longer had use for.

2 bicycles that we no longer used [too hazardous trying to cycle on our road, too many jackasses driving 70 on a windy country road]
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Would anyone believe I've never heard of freecycle before? I'll have to look it up. c:
            I adoooore books, but my tastes are so peculiar it's difficult to find any I'd like. I'd probably end up freecycling or eBay'ing most of them. Or using them for art projects. <3

Comment

I LOVE freecycle! In the last few years I've scored:

A recumbent exercise bike
              2 lamps
              a high chair for my nephew
              a HUGE box full of those extra-large legos (for aforementioned nephew)
              a lawnmower
              books/videos/cd's/dvd's
              dresser

And I've given away

A fridge
              A child's "walk-and-scoot" walker
              crutches
              books
              set of bookends
              large mirror
              boat motor
              The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

I had a great time on freecycle this week

I gave away

some books (the ones i read that the other freecycler gave me)
                an old tv
                some cosmetics (brand new, just didn't suit me)
                some rather ugly vases but someone wanted them

I got

some gardening tools
                a language course
                some 45s records
                some electrical thingy my boyfriend wanted

Comment

People give away books??

Oh, wait. Most of my books come from used bookstores.
                  I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

in the end she gave me nearly 1000 books...
                    I hate you. I really, really hate you.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

They said they just couldn't be bothered what with the move and all.

they said they didn't mind if i sold any of it, but on principle, any books i recieve via freecycle, I read then freecycle again so someone else can enjoy them, same with the tapes and records once i've listened to them.
                      I belong to the Denver Freecycle group, but haven't really had any luck with it. Usually, there's nothing on it that I want, and when there is, it's gone before I even see it.

The one time I tried to give something away (an entertainment center that was cluttering up the gargae in my old place) nobody would come to pick it up. I finaly broke the thing down and stuffed it into the trash cans over the period of 2 weeks.

Still, I keep an eye open for anything useful.

Eric the Grey
                      In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

I hate you. I really, really hate you.

Really its a shame we aren#t closer, I'd willingly refreecycle them in your direction after I've read them.

[/QUOTE]

Comment

We got 2 of our cats from Freecycle. Lady had adopted them as kittens together from the shelter, and around 3-4 years later her husband got cancer and became violently allergic to them so they had to go.

2 weeks later when he died, she cleared out the rest of the stuff from her house and went back to her native South Africa. We got emails from her for a year or so checking up on the girls but nothing in quite a while, so I guess she figures we're taking good enough care of her girls.
                          "English is the result of Norman men-at-arms attempting to pick up Saxon barmaids and is no more legitimate than any of the other results."
                          - H. Beam Piper

Comment

Really its a shame we aren#t closer, I'd willingly refreecycle them in your direction after I've read them.
                            It's all good. I have kind of odd tastes, so chances are good that a lot of those books wouldn't have interested me anyways. It's just the thought.

On the plus side, a while back I went to a "yard sale" at a storage facility. It was more like a clearance sale, as they were clearing out a lot of stuff that had been left behind by people who didn't pay their bills or just abandoned their stuff.

I got two very full BOXES of books, plus some board games, plus a couple shirts for me and my niece, plus a couple other minor things I think....for ten dollars. SCORE!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                            Still A Customer."

Comment

paperback swap

I recently joined paperback swap. You have to list so many books to be able to join & receive, but it's just a matter of putting your books in the mail to someone and then you can receive books as well.
                              Is it really SO hard to listen to the prompts?

Comment

Working...
                              X