This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh for fuck's sake.

Some of you may remember the horrific loss of my beagle, Charlemagne, in June, and the subsequent adoption of J.J from a rescue.

Well, J.J has gotten his back hurt now too. He yelps whenever he jumps off things now and isn't as active as he used to be because he's in pain. Vet will be called on Monday, but until then we're keeping him as comfortable as we can, and banishing him from the bedrooms, especially my parent's room with the really high bed.

I'm starting to wonder if it's said really high bed (4' off the ground), the dogs themselves (beagles are apparently prone to neck and spine problems), some...spirit something in the house that's taking delight in hurting the dogs, I don't know. Why only the boys and not Sally? I wish I knew. =/

Good vibes for J.J, please, I don't think I could bear losing another dog less than a year after I already lost my other dog.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Yeah, long bodies and short legs tends to lead to back issues. If you don't want to banish him from the bed permanently, maybe you should get him a set of those doggie stairs so he doesn't have to jump.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I used to have a beagle when I was growing up and he met his demise because he threw out his back. It was pretty sad too because he was a very active dog. Spent the last days of his life in misery.

Here's good luck for your beagle.

Comment

Bookstore Escapee-We have a set of them. The problem is that they're too short to reach the top of the bed. Plus we're reluctant to use them because we bought them for Charlemagne. =/ I think we might have to buy the extenders or buy a set that reaches the top of the bed.
        Success is not final, failure is not fatal: It is the courage to continue that counts.-Winston Churchill

Comment

Poor JJ. Ziggy and I are sending good vibes your way.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Just because they were once for another dog...you got the same type of dog. So why not use them? Good grief, the dog needs help to get up and 4 feet tall?! I couldn't stand being in a bed that tall up. Hell I would need stairs.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
              Just because they were once for another dog...you got the same type of dog. So why not use them? Good grief, the dog needs help to get up and 4 feet tall?! I couldn't stand being in a bed that tall up. Hell I would need stairs.
              I use to babysit for a family nearby, and one year they had a New Year's Eve party, so I took the kids to the neighbors' a couple houses down (neighbors were at the party) and we watched movies until they fell asleep. So of course I had to explore the neighbors' house, since I'd never been there (and they lived in one of those McMansion developments). Their bed was so high it had a matching stepstool on what I assume was the wife's side.
              Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 02-28-2010, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                Their bed was so high it had a matching stepstool on what I assume was the wife's side.
                My whole problem with beds that high is that I still haven't grown out of the sometimes falling out of the bed syndrom. Of course the dogs don't help when they strech out and keep nudging me towards the edge.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                  My whole problem with beds that high is that I still haven't grown out of the sometimes falling out of the bed syndrom. Of course the dogs don't help when they strech out and keep nudging me towards the edge.
                  My bed is kind of high...took some getting used to when I first got it. It's high because the mattress is about 14 inches thick, and I didn't realize that a lower box spring was an option (I just got what it came with). I don't quite need a stepstool, though . But it's a queen and I'm the only one who sleeps in it so I don't ever get too close to the edge.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                    My bed is kind of high...took some getting used to when I first got it. It's high because the mattress is about 14 inches thick, and I didn't realize that a lower box spring was an option (I just got what it came with). I don't quite need a stepstool, though . But it's a queen and I'm the only one who sleeps in it so I don't ever get too close to the edge.
                    Oh heck two dogs on my queen and there is no room for me. My avatar, Nikita, knows how to take up the whole bed in such a way that one would feel crowded to lay down.

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                      Oh heck two dogs on my queen and there is no room for me. My avatar, Nikita, knows how to take up the whole bed in such a way that one would feel crowded to lay down.
                      Eh, Pablo could do that. He weighed 5 pounds.

Comment

J.J does that, he's so long that he can take up the largest king size...

We've banished him from all the bedrooms and not allowed him to jump. He seems back to his normal barking, chocolate eating, LOUD beagle self. However, we'll still talk to the vet.

Comment

Rooks--all 7 pounds of her--would hog at least half of my queen size bed. Yes, she had her own side of the bed. And she knew it.
                          I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

My dog Bear, he would lay in the middle of me and SO before he would get relegated to the foot of the bed by either one of us. If I was sleeping in the fetal position, he would curl up behind my knees. Not a bed hogger but he sure is an attention whore.
                            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Hetfield hogs the bed (queen size) and always looks mildly offended when I move him so I can lay down.

He also greatly enjoys taking over my pillows.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X