This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More college instructor problems

I have to let this out somewhere - I mentioned this awhile ago, but it's gotten worse.

I have an 'instructor' - and there's a reason I have that in quotes. The problems?

- Comes in 15-45 minutes late, mentions it's because of his other job. Problem is that the last class he was early.
    - First week, assigns homework, which includes a rough draft. Second week, assigns final of rough draft, without grade or feedback of rough draft.
    - For mid-term, says that it will be over topics we went over in the book and class. Take mid-term, has topics we never went over. Surprised when grade average is around C for mid-term.
    - Takes forever to respond to e-mails, which has relevance Also is slow grading on assignments.

This is one class where I honestly could tell you I don't know what we're learning about, but I still have an outside chance of an A. I feel though that if I get a B that I'll be ecstatic.

So, a few friends I have in class who usually do very well are failing and drop the class, planning to take it next semester on a campus far away. They were initially told that they could get a waiver so they could take this class plus the successor to it, then told otherwise. Because of this, one has changed her major, and the other is taking online classes next semester.

The friends mention the problem to the director of IT, because one was having a meeting with the dean during the class we have with him, and I guess he was asking what the problem was. He stopped me after class and asked me about it, and I told him a synopsis of the first two weeks. He said thanks for the info, he appreciated the feedback.

Now I hear that the director emailed the 'instructor', and surprise, no response. I've heard he's kinda upset - ok, really, he's more of .

This should make class tonight interesting, to say the least. I know I'll be if .

I'm glad people have been talking to the dean about him, at least. Keep us posted after the show.

Comment

Um, granted last time I was in college was in 1981-4, so forgive me for making a dumb comparison/question.

When assigned a paper, it was listed in the syllabus at the beginning of the year, and the process was decide on subject, clear it with the teacher and turn it in on the final date. What is this first assignment, first draft, next assignment, next draft stuff of which you speak?

I am a bit interested because I am about to reboot my life with mrDrones GI bill benefits and going back to college [seriously hoping for U of Arizona, desperately want anthropology. praying desperately now and waiting to get the process underway to get the benefits assigned and actually get the go ahead to apply]
      EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
        When assigned a paper, it was listed in the syllabus at the beginning of the year, and the process was decide on subject, clear it with the teacher and turn it in on the final date. What is this first assignment, first draft, next assignment, next draft stuff of which you speak?
        I had an English professor whose paper process was:

First draft - no outside sources (except the book it was on)
        In-class peer review in groups of 3 (so you get two opinions)
        Second draft - still no outside sources
        Turn in to professor, he grades and comments
        Third draft - expanded with outside sources
        Final grade

It really did help me learn to write a proper English paper, I gotta say.
        Plus he was just an awesome professor.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I'm sure it varies subject to subject and professor to professor, but I remember a lot of my English teachers in HS and in college would have you do a rough draft first, and they would at least want to look at it and comment on it, even if they didn't really "grade" it. Like if you turned it in, you got the point(s) it was worth, even if it wasn't very good. Then they'd read it and mark it all up with comments, you'd get it back, and would have to write a final (or second, third, whatever) draft for a separate grade.

Comment

Interesting ....

Although on some subjects I was known for reading through my stack of books, making the 3x5 cards for the reference notes, slamming out the final copy no drafts, adding the endnotes and references and turning it in in 24 hours. It will be way easier with a computer instead of an IBM selectric...
            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              Just one of the changes this semester - there's not only a final writing project, but a short writing assignment due before each class.

And that's for each class you take. No wonder I'm going ! It also explains why I have such a short time here lately.

Anyway, I went into class today, and the director was there to open the classroom. He stayed for a few minutes, talking to the students that came in, just general.

He left, and after 20 minutes, the instructor came in. He essentially gave us class time to work on our final project. During this, the director came in, and they had a discussion in the back - couldn't hear any of it, unfortunately.

Went for break, and was a little surprised to see one of my friends that had dropped the class there. We talked, and from what I understand, the discussion was to let the people that dropped the class and had problems were going to be able to be put back into the class, with credit being given to assignments handed in. I don't know how that will work out.

Only thing I know is that I have this instructor next semester... ...and I have to - the class is mandatory for my degree, and the next time the class is offered is 2012.

I don't drink, but I think if next semester is like this one, I might start.

Comment

Good luck with the class ...

I work well under pressure like that, some people do and some don't.

At least you can come and rant here

Comment

Just wanted to update - first, good news! He didn't want to teach on Friday, so I got word today that he's been replaced for that class. The instructor that's replacing him I know well - makes you work, but actually teaches the subject.

Bad news? Well, he saved the best for last - the final project. I got 1/4 of points off for missing a section, a section I had to guess on to put in. It's in there, I just guess I didn't get it right. With the way the class was 'taught', I'm

I can accept that. What gets me burned up is what's been happening. A classmate got full points for her project. He then reviewed it with her, decided then that it was missing a section, and took the points off after he had graded it.

This morning, it turns out that she's not the only person he did this to. Another person I talked to today found out he took points off, again after he got graded full points for the project. He talked to the head of IT, seems he's allowed to do that. Just seems like a crappy thing to do.

All I know is, as far as I'm concerned, the class is over. I have a mid-range B, which I'm ecstatic about, considering. I also printed the grade page, so if there's any changes, I don't care if he can, I'm going right to the Dean.

Comment

I'm wondering if there is any connection between those he "adjusted" the grades on and those who the Director forced back into the class... If so, they can probably force the grades to be put back. Probably have to go to the Director or even the Dean for that though.

As to the instructor in questions, well you're not alone in this.

I've had the same instructor for Photoshop I and II and in both classes, despite my complaints about how he doesn't teach anything. His view of teaching is to have us read a chapter, and do the exercises therein and then proceed on to the next chapter. No discussion unless someone asks a question, and no real instructions on what the book doesn't cover. I could have learned just as much by going out and purchasing the book myself.

I tried to get another instructor for section II and he followed me to the Boulder campus.

I'm seriously considering switching colleges in the fall to get some better instructors.

Eric the Grey
                    In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

If the students requested that the grades be reviewed (which is unlikely given that they got top marks) then it is fairly normal that they will lose some marks on the re-marking (unless, of course, the instructor goofed up big time). The "well this could go either way" marks tend to disappear on a remarking.

It sounds like he was trying to make sure that he marked all the reports the same way - i.e. as badly as yours. He did it backwards. He's supposed to ADD marks to the people who lost them if he does this after it's handed back. I agree that it's completely insane.

Comment

Working...
                      X