This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on the road again...

ugh. so last june i moved from idaho to virginia to be with the most amazing guy ever. we drove. it took a week and it was...well, it was a trip.
    now he's deploying to iraq () and we're driving back across the country. only this time to arizona so i can live with his dad and stepmom to help take care of The Child (his daughter).

sooo...the point of this thread.

does anyone know any good (cheep) touristy stops between virginia and arizona? how 'bout cheep hotels...
    If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
    ^_^

uh, what route will you be taking?
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I have plenty of suggestions, but it depends on whether you'll be taking I-40 or I-10.

And have you ever been to Arizona?

And where in Zona do his parents live, incidentally?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

lol The Boy says whatever the gps says...so probably I-40. aaaall the way to Kingman. it's a really nice city. i'm kinda looking forward to it...kinda not really.
        If you want to be happy, be. ~Leo Tolstoy

i'm on fb and xbox live; pm me if ya wanna be "friends"
        ^_^

Comment

Honestly, there isn't much on I-40 but I will advise a few choice places to check out.

Lebanon, TN has the Jack Daniels Distillery. It's totally worth going off the beaten path for the education and the tasty lemonade at the end of the tour. <3 It's in a dry county so if you want to buy a bottle of Jack there, you have to "donate" it to the distillery and they give it to you as a "present".

Chattanooga, TN has Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls. The incline Railway is fun. Make sure you have a camera. TN is definitely a beautiful state.

The people here at Road Trip America (I used to have an account) has a lot of nifty ideas. It depends on how much extra cash you'll have on you.
          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I-40 isn't the greatest place for seeing things, but I do recommend the Meteor Crater in Winslow, Arizona. Fun, fun, fun! (Though you should know, as I did not, that they don't let you go down INTO the crater, just check it out from a viewing area a bit below the rim.)

Other than sites, there is much great eating along I-40. You will be passing through Knoxville, Nashville, Memphis, Oklahoma City, Amarillo, and Flagstaff. I recommend checking out some food sites that have visited these places. (The Big Texan steak house in Amarillo, for example, offers the 72 ounce steak that you get for free if you can eat it and all the accompanying side dishes in under an hour. Good luck.)

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            Lebanon, TN has the Jack Daniels Distillery. It's totally worth going off the beaten path for the education and the tasty lemonade at the end of the tour. <3 It's in a dry county so if you want to buy a bottle of Jack there, you have to "donate" it to the distillery and they give it to you as a "present".
            I thoroughly agree. I have done the JD tour (on a hangover, mind you), and had a blast. You definitely need to budget some time for it, because it IS off your route a decent amount. Once you get off of I-25, it is a good hour's drive. (Not sure how long off of I-40, but I think it's worth it.)

As for buying whiskey there, they're little gift shop has a special dispensation from the county, so they can technically sell it to you.

I should point out that the distillery is not in Lebanon, but in Lynchburg. Hence the popular Jack Daniel's/lemonade drink called "Lynchburg Lemonade."

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            TN is definitely a beautiful state.
            I was actually rather pleasantly surprised by how pretty a state TN is to drive through. Along with Missouri, this was one of the better surprises I had in my journey in 98-99.
            Last edited by Jester; 03-07-2010, 11:56 PM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

My mistake Jester, thanks for correcting me. You're right, it is in Lynchburg.

Lynchburg is about an hour and a half south on I-24 E and TN-10 from Nashville.

Comment

I-40 takes you through Little Rock, which has the Bill Clinton Presidential Library and some darn good eatin'. (And, my boyfriend, although that has little applicability to you. )
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                X