This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasing shoplifters

What's the point of chasing shoplifters when for all you know they could stop, turn around & shoot you with a gun you didn't even know they had? I know most stores around here can write-off stolen merchandise.
    Merchandise can be replaced-you can't. They don't pay me enough to chase down some idiot who is brash enough to steal something & go flying through the doors with it.
    My personal safety comes FIRST. The hell with what corporate says.

All the places I've worked has a "no chase" policy. Yours tells you to chase after people?
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth draggar View Post
      All the places I've worked has a "no chase" policy. Yours tells you to chase after people?

Management goes after shoplifters at Sam's Club as if what is being stolen is more important than their lives.
      They tell associates to go after them! Hasn't happened to me yet but I would refuse real quick.

Comment

If you feel it puts your own safety to risk, then don't do it.

If they get you in trouble because of it, I think a lawyer would like to hear it.
        Quote Dalesys:
        ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

At the swamp LP could ask any employee over 18 to assist with a pursuit, but I'm certain you could refuse if you didn't want to risk your safety.

However, it's been over 5 years since I had to help chase somebody. I don't even hear about that happening anymore. Of course, if the shoplifter shows a weapon, you are to let them go.
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I chase shoplifters. Mostly because its a moral thing, and I just don't care for my own life as it is. Its against policy. People have been fired over it.

I've been stabbed. I been smashed in the head with a bottle of wine. I've been in fist fights over the jackasses over it. I'm still around.
            Military Spouse Support.
            http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
            Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

I wish walmart would have tackled me the one day the greeter yelled that I was shop lifting and i got followed which management denies happening because they not allowed to go back the poles outside. I paid for 6 dvds and my favorite greeter demanded a receipt when I DID NOT set off the alarm, while ignoring a guy walking out with a big screen TV that actually DID trip the alarm because they claimed to be stopping everyone since it was black Friday. which was bs.

So part of it is the liability of "attacking paying customers" or being sued anyways for tackling someone who really was stealing. They don't want to have to pay more lawyers because had they laid a hand on me I would have been suing for sure.
              I'm sorry reading is not a new concept it has been widely taught in our nation for at least the past 100 years. Please, learn to do it CORRECTLY before you become contagious.

Comment

This is better suited for fratching. We've had this debate before, and it never ends well.
                Consider this closed.
                The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Working...
                X