This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscars Tonight!

For as long as I can remember I have geeked out about the Oscars, and this year is pretty exciting! (The majority of this post is copied and pasted from a Facebook note).

Hosts - Alec Baldwin and Steve Martin. What. The. Eff. What was wrong with Hugh Jackman? Billy Crystal? Jon Stewart? People who are actually entertaining and funny? I like Alec Baldwin as an actor, but that doesn't make him a good host. And the last time Steve Martin hosted I just kept wondering exactly how many Botox treatments he'd gotten in the past few months. One of my friends actually said, "Well, I'm excited that Tina Fey will probably show up." Well, then, get Tina Fey to host it.

My predictions -

Actor in a Leading Role:
    Probably be: Jeff Bridges Crazy Heart The Oscar really ties the room together.
    Could be: Morgan Freeman Invictus The King of Gravitas playing Nelson Mandela. Word.
    Sorry, Clooney, you are incredible, but not this year.

Actor in a Supporting Role:
    Probably be: Christoph Waltz Inglourious Basterds A real jump, considering he's won every other freakin' award, and rightfully so. He's a badass in 4 languages, I mean, come on!
    Could be: Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones I'm very serious about this. Tucci's incredible performance is the only real reason to see the movie, and there could be some Academy love for the "underdog".

Actress in a Leading Role:
    Probably be: Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side True story, America's sweetheart, blah blah blah.
    Could be: Gabourey Sidibe, Precious The fact that this is Leading is against Ms. Sidibe, but I think everyone would be thrilled for her to win. Besides, doesn't Meryl Streep have enough Oscars? Also, Helen Mirren has a very recent win.

Acress in a Supporting Role:
    Probably be: Mo'nique, Precious The "comedian in a serious role" is almost a sure bet. Just ask Robin Williams. Also, like Waltz, she's won pretty much every other comparable award.
    Could be: Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air A delightful performance, I thought, and really challenging. Vera Farminga was also good, but how hard is it to be attracted to George Clooney?

Animated Feature Film:
    Probably be: Up Pixar's best release to date, proving that you can, indeed, have dark material in a 'kiddie' movie.
    Could be: Fantastic Mr. Fox if the Academy is tired of voting for Pixar.

Screenplay (Adapted):
    Jason Reitman, Up in the Air Clever, funny, poignant. Reads like a romantic comedy with a twist, but then there's this whole message about the economy and corporate culture.

Screenplay (Original):
    Quentin Tarantino, Inglourious Basterds The "we still think you're awesome but we just can't give you Best Director this year" award. I hope he thanks his translators, because DAMN.

Music (Original Score):
    Up Did anyone else enjoy a Pixar movie not scored by Randy Newman? 'Cause I sure as hell did.

Music (Original Song):
    Crazy Heart His name is T-Bone. I mean...come on!

Directing:
    Probably be: Kathryn Bigelow The Hurt Locker She won the DGA, she's a woman, she's Cameron's ex-wife. I secretly hope that if she wins, she begins her acceptance speech by screaming, "Who's the King of the World now, bitch!??!"
    Could be: Jason Reitman, Up in the Air Really visually stunning film, IMO.

I refuse to recognize the possibility that James Cameron will win this.

I wish it could be Quentin Tarantino, and I put him on my ballot just because I can't choose anyone else. But it just won't be. In the minds of most people, every other movie he makes "just isn't Pulp Fiction." Which couldn't win because he was up against Forrest Gump. The man can't win for losing. I just hope he takes to heart that, unlike Cameron and Howard, he's pretty much changed the way films are made and, especially, how films are written.

Best Picture:
    I've changed this. I'm saying Inglourious Basterds because it WAS the best movie. A damn good script with a great cast (won the SAG award for Best Company), an excellent director, and minimal focus on effects. I can't say Avatar. I won't. I refuse. Yes, it had fantastic effects and will likely sweep the technical categories. But in terms of the whole movie, the film as a whole, no. You can't rehash the plot of Disney's Pocahontas, add in half-naked blue people and spaceships, and win a fucking Oscar. NO. And people say Tarantino is a hack. Sheesh.

Let me put it this way: If a hack plot and shiny special effects are enough to win Best Picture, then the Academy has to go back and give George Lucas an award for Star Wars. (Actually, it's a matter of time before Lucas gets a Lifetime Achievement Award, anyway).
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS
Working...
X