This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something I'd never have though I'd have tried

I'm so out of money it's not funny. I have £2, thats it, half of which is gonna go on a mothers day card (I'd forgot about that as well.) and all I have is 2 packs of noodles, one ready meal and 3/4 of a pack of rich tea biscuits.

I've been eyeing the food i have for my rats (rat pellets) all day and just now tried a piece out of preparation for depseration and I have to say, it's not half bad, tastes kinda like bran flakes/other fibre like cereal, since it's pretty much, wheat, wheat bran and maize, tastes slightly different though that'd be the chicken feed and beet pul and poultry fat.

On the whole, I've jhad worse, I've already come up with a way to turn it into a meal and taste a bit better too.
    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Well, here's another, possibly tastier:

http://www.ranprieur.com/misc/dumpster.html
    http://freegan.info/?page_id=2
    http://www.alternet.org/environment/80887/

I wouldn't recommend going for the meat though.

No one in the first world ever has an excuse to go hungry.

Good luck.

Comment

Have you considered stopping by a food pantry? They don't ask questions, they just give you food. The few times I've had to go, they were quite nice as well (I was very ashamed of having to go).

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
        (I was very ashamed of having to go).
        There is no shame in getting food when your starving. That is what food pantries are for.

I've done it too. It helps when you have no food, no place, no clothes, no money. They help you surivive.
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

Quoth Plaidman View Post
          There is no shame in getting food when your starving. That is what food pantries are for.

I've done it too. It helps when you have no food, no place, no clothes, no money. They help you surivive.
          THIS --^

When my apartment was robbed last year, I had, literally, only some spare change in my pocket after freezing all my accounts to prevent ID theft. Local food pantries were lifesavers.

And whenever I'm low on cash or strapped financially, Angel Food Ministries is awesome. Hell, they're box this month looks so good, I may get it, just because!

Comment

Oh, I'm not saying people should be ashamed. I was just being weird about it and the people were extra nice, which made me feel better. Hooray for nice people in the world!

Comment

[QUOTE=RayvenQ;696852]I'm so out of money it's not funny. I have £2, thats it, half of which is gonna go on a mothers day card (I'd forgot about that as well.) and all I have is 2 packs of noodles, one ready meal and 3/4 of a pack of rich tea biscuits.

[QUOTE]

49p mothers day card tesco
              bread 45p tesco
              cuppa soup basic x 5 17p tesco
              curry sauce 6p tesco
              can spaghetti bolognaise 17p tesco
              instant potato 33p tesco
              sandwich paste 22p tesco

you could have bread and soup for a while, plus the noodles with curry sauce for a couple of meals, thicken the soup with the instant potato, and have a paste sandwich, you could sort of live like a week like this.

I've done it before but it isnt pleasant.You coud even eek out the money a bit more if you go late at night and buy the bread at reduced price.
              Customer "why did you answer the phone if you can't help me?"

Comment

No idea if we even have them round here, though the rat food wasn't all that bad, boil it up so it makes like a porrage, add a bit of sugar and allswell.

[QUOTE=TelephoneAngel;696866][QUOTE=RayvenQ;696852]I'm so out of money it's not funny. I have £2, thats it, half of which is gonna go on a mothers day card (I'd forgot about that as well.) and all I have is 2 packs of noodles, one ready meal and 3/4 of a pack of rich tea biscuits.

49p mothers day card tesco
                bread 45p tesco
                cuppa soup basic x 5 17p tesco
                curry sauce 6p tesco
                can spaghetti bolognaise 17p tesco
                instant potato 33p tesco
                sandwich paste 22p tesco

you could have bread and soup for a while, plus the noodles with curry sauce for a couple of meals, thicken the soup with the instant potato, and have a paste sandwich, you could sort of live like a week like this.

I've done it before but it isnt pleasant.You coud even eek out the money a bit more if you go late at night and buy the bread at reduced price.
                True, but getting all the way to the nearest tesco is a problem for me (with my back and all) plus the £2 was originally going to go on milk or a card and milk (Food i can do without for a bit, tea however, another matter, I'd probably die of dehydration because i wouldn't feel like drinking water and tea being my primary income of liquids )

I appreciate you looking up the prices and everything though.
                Last edited by RayvenQ; 03-12-2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Quoth trailerparkmedic View Post
                  Have you considered stopping by a food pantry? They don't ask questions, they just give you food. The few times I've had to go, they were quite nice as well (I was very ashamed of having to go).
                  RavenQ's about an hour from me in Limeyland. I don't know of any local churches or other organisations having walk-in places. Maybe the local salvation army, but that's usually for the homeless.

Rapscallion

Comment

I had a friend in college who used to get free cups of hot water and ketchup packets from the college snack shop, and mix them to make "tomato soup"!

Of course, he only did that when there were people around who would feel sorry for him and buy him some real food... Seriously, he should've just asked, none of us ever minded getting him food.
                    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Has the cash situation eased, mate?

Rapscallion

Comment

Yeah it has, thankfuklly, wasn't so bad, only ended up being a couple of days so i did my natural tactic of eating what I had left, gorging myself out it and then waiting out the next few days until i had the money to get more food.

I've been homeless before so going hungry wasn't too much of a challenge, thankfully, I managed to get enough to get some more milk, food, I can do with out, Tea on the other hand, if I didn't have access to it, I'd probably die of dehydration, because tea is the only thing I'll drink nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                        X