This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthquake!!!

I was just rudely awakened by a 4.4 quake! Not one of those rumbly rolling ones, either--everything shook like crazy!

Southern California--what a crazy ride!
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

I hope everything's okay.

Give me a tornado. I have some warning and they tend to stay away from city limits.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
      I hope everything's okay.

Give me a tornado. I have some warning and they tend to stay away from city limits.
      That's exactly why I hate tornadoes--the warnings. I spent half of my growing up years being freaked out by tornado watches and tornado warnings. If I'm gonna die in a natural disaster, I'd prefer not to know that it's coming.
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Sorry, I just love the wording: "I was just rudely awakened by a 4.4 quake!"

What the world needs now is *polite* earthquakes
        Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
          Sorry, I just love the wording: "I was just rudely awakened by a 4.4 quake!"

What the world needs now is *polite* earthquakes
          Oh, we get those--they are these funny, rolling quakes where you don't really feel much of anything, almost like you're drifting in the ocean and a big swell catches you for a minute. I love those!

But this quake was loud, sudden, and jerked the whole house around rather roughly. Stupid tectonics.

(and now, the earthquake song! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ne0HosLdr4 )

Comment

So the earth moved for you... wish it would for me
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
              So the earth moved for you... wish it would for me
              A lot of it depends on your position....

on the map. ;-)
              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Nice save, Sheldon

Seriously though, we've had a few 'quakes here in Pittsburgh. Not enough to rattle windows, but enough to set off the seismograph at the museum.
                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Glad you're ok, Joi. I gotta call my mom.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    Glad you're ok, Joi. I gotta call my mom.
                    Unless it's a 5.0 or above, there's usually not any damage. Maybe one or two broken knickknacks, but that's about it.

Funny thing though; I'd just been chatting with someone a few hours before, commenting that it'd been a while since we'd had a quake. Next time I'm keeping my mouth shut!

Comment

It reminds me of the earthquake the midwest got summer of 2007. I suddenly wake up in the wee hours of the morning and my first thought to myself is 'when did my bed get a vibrate option'?
                      How was I supposed to know someone was slipping you Birth Control in the food I've been making for you lately?

Comment

My workplace is right on the Wasatch Fault, which is expected to kick off at about 6.5-7.3. When it does, this valley's going to look like the old song "Oh Sinner Man"

Run to the mountains? ... Rocks rollin' downhill
                        Run to the shoreline? ... Lake is a sloshin'
                        Run in a circle? ... Ground liquefying

All on that day
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

My folks live pretty much right on the New Madrid fault line. Luckily, there hasn't been a major quake in a while, but there's been some really subtle activity and a few 2-3 pointers. Here's hoping it stays that way!
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I slept through it, and it seems the epicenter was quite close to my house. It was enough to knock my clock off the toybox (not a super stable place for it anyway )and make us almost late this morning, but I didn't even feel it.
                            "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Quoth Megg View Post
                              I slept through it, and it seems the epicenter was quite close to my house. It was enough to knock my clock off the toybox (not a super stable place for it anyway )and make us almost late this morning, but I didn't even feel it.
                              Geez, how did you not feel it? I'm a 40 minute drive from the epicenter, and it woke up my whole house! But then, we all sleep on the second story, and that does tend to amplify the shaking...

Comment

Working...
                              X