This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Harvest Curry

My husband is a curry fiend. He loves the stuff. He has said that if he could only eat one dish for the rest of his life, it would be some kind of curry. So, I'm always on the look out for good, easy curry recipes. I came across one a few weeks ago that I wanted to try, but I ended up modifying it pretty heavily, so I thought I'd post my take on it here!
    Note: I'm notoriously horrible for not measuring anything when I cook, so most of the quantities, especially stuff like seasonings, are guesswork and can be adjusted to taste anyway.

Ingredients:
    1lb chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
    1-2 tablespoons olive oil
    2-3 teaspoons sesame oil
    spices: yellow curry powder (1-2 tablespoons), garam masala (about 1 tablespoon), vindaloo (2-3 teaspoons)
    1 tablespoon butter
    1/4 sweet onion, sliced thin (I'd use more -- like a whole onion -- but my husband hates the stuff)
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 carrots, peeled and sliced
    1 can (15 or 16oz I think?) coconut milk
    1/2 15oz can (or 1 8oz can) tomato sauce
    1/2 15oz can pumpkin puree
    4-5 red potatoes, cut into bite-sized chunks
    1 granny smith apple, peeled and cubed into bite-sized chunks
    salt, pepper to taste
    sugar to taste, about 4-5 tablespoons if using unsweetened coconut milk

In a large dutch oven, wok, or fry pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat and brown the chicken breast chunks on all sides. When done, remove from pan and set aside. In the same pan, reduce heat to medium low and heat sesame oil. Add the spices and toast until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add the butter and let it melt, then add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and carrot and cook 5-10 minutes longer, until onion is translucent. Add the rest of the ingredients, including the cooked chicken, stirring to combine. Let simmer over low heat for about an hour. Serve with rice.

Turned out delicious. I thought the combination of pumpkin and apple really made it harvest-y, hence the name I gave it. It's certainly not a traditional curry, but we can get that at the Thai and Indian places we go to. I like to go for taste when I experiment, regardless of what's in it. This also made a ton, so we have quite a few leftovers, and curry typically gets better -- or, at least, spicier -- the longer it sits.

you're right, needs more onion =)

Looks quite good, wonder how it would be with lamb...
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
      ...Looks quite good, wonder how it would be with lamb...
      Baaaad? (& Shari Lewis will curse you)
      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
        Baaaad? (& Shari Lewis will curse you)
        LOL ... I actually named one of my lambs Lambchop ... after the food not the puppet =)

Of course the other one was named after my goddaughter ... she had been an especially annoying brat the weekend they lambs were born. Her mother and I joked it was a form of voodoo =)
        EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
        X