This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got in!!

Yesterday morning my mom came upstairs and ceremoniously deposited a stack of mail on my desk, like every day. I looked through it.. bank statement, Reader's Digest renewal notice, and then some envelopes. Big envelope from my home university, little envelope from my reach university. I remember hearing somewhere that big envelopes mean good news because the little envelopes never carry anything but a rejection letter, so I opened the big one first.

Inside was a shiny white folder filled with papers and forms and a burgundy square of cardboard with a gold seal. I got accepted as a member of the Class of 2014!!

I took it downstairs to show my mom.. she was outside on the patio so I leaned out the glass doors and basically thrust it in her face. She read the first paragraph of my acceptance letter two or three times, and then screamed.

I went back inside to go through the contents of the folder while my mom called everyone she could think of, and I found another little envelope. I opened it.

"Congratulations on receiving the Dean's Scholarship (an award worth $12,000, renewable annually for a sum of $48,000 over four years)"

That news made my mom scream again, and this time she was on the phone with my poor aunt, who must have been so confused by now. I opened the little envelope from my reach university at this point, it wasn't a rejection letter, just a notice that they've received my application.

It felt really amazing to see my mom react that way, because I wasn't expecting more than a "congratulations". I didn't get any help from my parents on my college applications because they didn't want or expect me to go to college and basically showed no enthusiasm whenever I tried to talk to them about it. So this means a lot to me now.

I'm surprised that I actually received a scholarship, though - one of my conditions of acceptance is that I participate in their academic advancement program because of my personal circumstances last year (I lost two family members in one year and my schoolwork suffered) and also because of my mediocre accomplishments in math.

I'm not sure whether I'll go to this university since I'm still waiting to hear from two other schools, but it's great to know somebody wants me.

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Congratulations.

... at least if it's not your first choice, it's sounds like a great fall-back plan. Guess it'll come down to the money, what can you afford.
    Make a list of important things to do today.
    At the top of your list, put 'eat chocolate'
    Now, you'll get at least one thing done today

Comment

Yeah, it'll come down to whether I get scholarships at the other schools. And I'm happy that I have a place to go now, even if the other schools fall through. Thanks!

"When your deepest thoughts are broken, keep on dreaming, boy; when you stop dreaming it's time to die" -- Blind Melon

Comment

It's such a relief to get the first acceptance letter, isn't it? That's an amazing scholarship, too!

Comment

Wow! Congratz! Scolarships are always nice.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Yay! Scholarship! Yay! Acceptance!

I look forward to my letters.
            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Lindsey, on both the Acceptance and the Scholarship!

Mike
              Meow.........

Comment

Congrats! Very exciting!

Any thoughts on a major yet?

Comment

Quoth Lindsey View Post
                  I remember hearing somewhere that big envelopes mean good news because the little envelopes never carry anything but a rejection letter, so I opened the big one first.
                  My school sent my acceptance "letter" on a postcard. Didn't even get an envelope.

Congrats! That's awesome...and 48 grand ain't half bad either
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Congrats.
                    "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Congratulations! That's really fabulous news, and a hefty scholarship! *does a little happy dance for you*
                      "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

Fabulous news Lindsey! Good luck on deciding which college to go to, even though the matter may well already be decided.

Knowing that you won't have to pay for it all out of pocket (now or later) will be a nice plus.

Eric the Grey
                        In memory of Dena - Don't Drink and Drive

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                          Any thoughts on a major yet?
                          I'm entering Science Undeclared, I need to spend my first semester or two getting my math up to speed before I make a concrete decision about my field! I want to work in medicine, maybe veterinary.

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                          My school sent my acceptance "letter" on a postcard. Didn't even get an envelope.
                          Wow, if my letter came on a postcard, my mom would've mistaken it for junk mail and thrown it in the garbage!

Thanks so much everyone! Getting that letter was so exciting!

Comment

Wheee! Dancey time!

Comment

Quoth Lindsey View Post
                              Thanks so much everyone! Getting that letter was so exciting!
                              Hehe, when I got my postcard, I was the only one home (had just come home from school) and I was jumping up and down in the kitchen.

I went to a tiny school in Pennsylvania, and it was one of those things where I got the viewbook, who knows from where, what with the whole crate full of college brochures that had shown up in my mailbox over the months, and just knew that was where I wanted to go. Before I ever even saw the school in person; I had never even heard of it until I got that viewbook. But I knew.

Unfortunately, I had to wait to accept them until I found out what kind of financial aid I was getting. That was torture.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X